Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
JamesDavid
Australia
Tenjin-shinyo ryu Jujutsu

I have been searching through various online resources but I have had trouble answering the question, how long did Morihei Ueshiba train in Tenjin-shinyo ryu Jujutsu. Consequently, what was the influence of this on his Aiki jujutsu. As a Yoshinkan student I am interested in the influence of atemi teaching from this art. If anyone has researched this I would most appreciate your help…

The best answer I have so far is 3 years and a fair bit.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Ellis Amdur

Re: Tenjin-shinyo ryu Jujutsu

Quote:
In any event, Morihei remained in Tokyo for only about a year and did not find the business world to his liking. Noteworthy of his stay in Tokyo was the fact that he began his formal martial arts training when he enrolled in the Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu school of Tokusaburo Tozawa (1848-1912).* Morihei's practice was relatively short—only a few months—and he soon contracted beriberi at which time he returned to Tanabe to recuperate.
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=192Stanley Pranin

Tenshin Shinyo-ryu is still extant. If you get a videotape, you will see that there is little relationship between TSR and aikido, yoshinkan or otherwise. Different body mechanics altogether - even if Ueshiba had learned more than a sickly youth's three month's worth.

Albert Einstein once gave a talk on the universe and an elderly woman approached him afterwards and said, "You are wrong, Professor Einstein. The universe rests on the back of a giant turtle." When he asked what the turtle rested on, she replied, "another turtle." And when he asked what that turtle rested on, she replied, "Try as you might, Professor, it's turtles all the way."

[Hint: The turtle has the initials DR carved in it's shell]

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Albert Einstein once gave a talk on the universe and an elderly woman approached him afterwards and said, "You are wrong, Professor Einstein. The universe rests on the back of a giant turtle." When he asked what the turtle rested on, she replied, "another turtle." And when he asked what that turtle rested on, she replied, "Try as you might, Professor, it's turtles all the way."

[Hint: The turtle has the initials DR carved in it's shell]
LOL!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

From Doshu's book, he studied that art in 1902 for about 2 - 3 months time collectively before leaving Tokyo due to illness. I don't know if he ever started to learn that art again at a later time.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Mark Greenwood

Dojo: ESTA
United Kingdom

Quote:
Tenshin Shinyo-ryu is still extant. If you get a videotape, you will see that there is little relationship between TSR and aikido, yoshinkan or otherwise. Different body mechanics altogether - even if Ueshiba had learned more than a sickly youth's three month's worth.
"

Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is not extant, http://www.tenyokai.com I attended the summer Gasshuku a week ago. Having practised Aikido for 15 years you can see where Ueshiba Sensei took a lot from it. It is said that Ueshiba studied for over 10 years. With regards to different body mechanics, this is also not true.

Last edited by akiy : 07-14-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Masagatsu Agatsu. Ueshiba.M
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Ellis Amdur

Extant means exists. Extinct means not exists. Ueshiba studied only a few months as a youth. TSR is the roots of judo, not aikido.

Quote:
Mark Greenwood wrote: View Post
"

Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is not extant, http://www.tenyokai.com I attended the summer Gasshuku a week ago. Having practised Aikido for 15 years you can see where Ueshiba Sensei took a lot from it. It is said that Ueshiba studied for over 10 years. With regards to different body mechanics, this is also not true.

Last edited by akiy : 07-14-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
dps

Quote:
Extant means exists. Extinct means not exists.
I thought that extinct meant a person does not smell anymore like when they wear deodorant.

dps
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Darn, I thought that meant my Uncle's ex-wife.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."