Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #26
Aikironin21
Dojo: Aikido of Solano
United_States
Re: kiai in aikido?

I don't agree with coupling Kiai and crying. Where yes, Kiai can be generated during an emotional response, and tears can be produce without emotional stimuli, the concept of Kiai can definitely be practiced and fostered. Look at concepts like keeping your arm extended and round during ukemi. This is a Kiai concept. If you fail to do this, your rolls have flat spots, and you collide with the mat rather than blend. The result, after a hard ukemi class, is a sore shoulder or back the next day.

On the back end of Kiai practice, you become more aware of your hara. You tighten your abdominal when you Kiai. Remember this feeling, and start your movements from here, and your AIkido will change.

Kiai isn't about yelling to scare or intimidate. It's about projection.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Larry Robinson wrote: View Post
I don't agree with coupling Kiai and crying.
If you're talking about what Alberto wrote, they weren't "coupled". It's just an analogy.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #28
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
, I cannot have my body carry out complex movement patterns with any accuracy if I am shouting.
I think your post is interesting because it says something important about the learning process.

For me doing kiai is difficult too because it adds an extra element to training, but I think for practise purposes it is excellent training and with time I have slowly learned to integrate Kiai with my breathing and right now I am working on integrating kiai with the ying / yang aspect of the techniques..
The same with correct reigi. The more we train in dividing our attention to various elements during execution of our techniques the more headroom it creates in our abilities to focus our 360 degree awareness.
Same as when doing ken suburi in front of a mirror. It helps me to stay centered while still observing myself execution from the outside. So complexity of training makes for better techniques in the end I believe..

One example that may or may not illustrate my point:

Some years ago I visited a dojo in Italy and even they had an excellent sensei, riai was almost nonexcistent, and kiai was lacking as well. There were many people on the matt, around 45-50 and because it was a mixed class the sensei divided the dojo in two, one for the beginners and the other for the advanced students and then he told the advanced students to do free techniques (jiu waza) from yokumen uchi in pairs of three, then he turned to the beginners and started to teach them tai no henko.
It was a 1 1/2 hour class btw..

Everything went haywire, in a good and energetic way, but the downside was that ukes started to collide after 20 minutes
when slight exhaustion started to set in.. so the 360 degree awareness were not a point of focus I felt even there were 1,2,3,4īth dan students present.
I did manage to get myself out of some hairy throws being a 3īrd kyu because of the way I was taught to get out of a roll with my arms in front of me for protection, and I also believe that because I am taught to practise with a strict attention to reigi and use kiai it helped me to maintain 360 degree awarerness most of the time even I was completely wasted after 45 minutes of jiu-waza and still 30 minutes to go... Phew..
I have to say they were extremely fit in that particular dojo..!!!

Reigi, kiai, sanshin and weapons practise are all great tools for learning to project and maintain energy I feel.

btw. Kiai can also be executed silently turning down the volume to whatever level is required as long as the focus is kept on the correct excution.

Cheers
Lars
Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
btw. Kiai can also be executed silently turning down the volume to whatever level is required as long as the focus is kept on the correct excution.

Cheers
Lars
I can do the count silently or I can murmer it audibly in time to my breathing and movement, but as soon as I start shouting out numbers I can't do anything else. But then that's me. I don't like talking to automated phone machines either and only push the buttons to enter the information

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I can do the count silently or I can murmer it audibly in time to my breathing and movement, but as soon as I start shouting out numbers I can't do anything else. But then that's me. I don't like talking to automated phone machines either and only push the buttons to enter the information
Well.. I am VERY good at multitasking.. I can walk and breathe simultaneously !