Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:23 PM   #26
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States
Re: Questions about Aikido

Robert, I think you will get a lot for your story just by reading some threads in this forum conserning Aikido training and how it would affect ones behaviour in the real life. I can remember just lately someone was asking if the way we train (in friendly manner) would affect his reaction to an aggression in a real life situation.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #27
cricketman

Quote:
Suren Baghdasaryan wrote:
And after that you are telling us we do not help you?!

Anyway, Aikido (the way of harmony) being a source of the conflict is something intriguing. Let's see how far will that go.

IMHO, in the first enconter "real life" Alex in best case would throw his attackers to the ground and use that moment to run away without killing or badly injuring them.
I'm sorry, but I do not believe in the stories where a person unintentionally kills another person by hitting him with the knife...7 times.
Suren, the only reason I want someone injured in the first encounter is so I can show how badly it affects Alex. In fact, it affects him so badly he decides to leave London and go back to South Africa, where he grew up (of course, there are other things too. The attacker -- and more importantly the injuries -- are the final straws). So I must have one, or both, of the attackers injured. And Alex must know that they are injured, of course. I don't think he would react the same way if, say, he threw them to the ground and ran away. Also, another small twist is that the attackers are sixteen-year-olds. Which makes it even worse for Alex. He's notices their age after he's injured them. This is just before he runs away.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #28
cricketman

Quote:
Suren Baghdasaryan wrote:
Robert, I think you will get a lot for your story just by reading some threads in this forum conserning Aikido training and how it would affect ones behaviour in the real life. I can remember just lately someone was asking if the way we train (in friendly manner) would affect his reaction to an aggression in a real life situation.

I most definitely will be doing a lot of post reading over the coming weeks.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:36 PM   #29
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Robert Bell wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I realise that the main character MUST practice a martial art such as Aikido -- it creates conflict, internal and external. He's going against what he believes.
Looking at Robert's responses, it seems to me like he has picked something that creates conflict in his character as intended. We all seem to have the view that the character be "an expert" and maimed/killed/injured his attackers on purpose.

From an Aikido point of view, all the peace, love and harmony in the world isn't going to help you if you aren't skillful enough to control someone.

What if the character is only good enough to defend himself and kill/maim/injure his attackers. His goal in training might be control and peaceful resolution, but maybe he isn't there yet. Maybe he's only good enough to damage someone in the heat of the moment and this conflict of killing someone paired along with the realization that after all his training he isn't good enough *not* to hurt someone creates his inner turmoil.

Just a thought.

cheers,

--Michael

-

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #30
TomanGaidin

On the note of the first scenario, he possibly could pop/break the wrist of the knife wielder with a lock he manages to get in an attempt to disarm the man... wouldn't kill him, but could leave the guy screaming for a bit in pain if it was done suddenly and he wasn't on any drugs that might increase his pain resistance. I'm sure someone screaming like that could affect the person who did it, possibly.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:32 AM   #31
cricketman

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Looking at Robert's responses, it seems to me like he has picked something that creates conflict in his character as intended. We all seem to have the view that the character be "an expert" and maimed/killed/injured his attackers on purpose.

From an Aikido point of view, all the peace, love and harmony in the world isn't going to help you if you aren't skillful enough to control someone.

What if the character is only good enough to defend himself and kill/maim/injure his attackers. His goal in training might be control and peaceful resolution, but maybe he isn't there yet. Maybe he's only good enough to damage someone in the heat of the moment and this conflict of killing someone paired along with the realization that after all his training he isn't good enough *not* to hurt someone creates his inner turmoil.

Just a thought.

cheers,

--Michael

-

Michael, that's a very good angle for the conflict, which I had not thought about. After the fights, I could have the main character angry with himself because he wasn't good enough to control the situation. I like that angle, a lot.

thank you.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:00 AM   #32
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Robert Bell wrote:
Michael, that's a very good angle for the conflict, which I had not thought about. After the fights, I could have the main character angry with himself because he wasn't good enough to control the situation. I like that angle, a lot.

thank you.
Just writing about what I know <grin>. I'm glad you like it and you're welcome.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #33
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

okay, now it sounds more interesting.