Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Trish Greene
Dojo: Aikido-Kajukenbo Self Defense Center
United_States
Learning about Ki

Hello all!!

I am just starting my second month in AIkido classes with my 11yo son here in Boise, I am 35yo!

I have fallen in love with this art form and the philosophy of Aikido being an "Art of Peace". I have also been intrigued with the gracefulness of this art.

I am trying to understand the philosophy first, and then the moves will come naturally later ( With lots of practice!).

Trish
Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Learning about Ki

Hi Trish,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
asiawide

Mostly Arts come first then Philosophy follows. Just keep on training, then you'll find something.

Jaemin
Old 10-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Take things in the appropriate time. Don't get indoctrinated, and think critically about what you are learning and compare this to experience. I agree with Jaemin. I believe that the philosophy/spiritual aspect of aikido is intrinsic to the good physical practise of aikido and is not seperate. It's pointless trying to understand yin & yang from a detatched way, you need too be able to relate to it in a practical and real manner. Things that are often considered 'mysticism' is someone attempting to communicate something which is very real but the reader is unable to see the context in which the writer is communicating.

Obviously read what you want, but real knowledge comes from direct experience... unfortuntely just training (and reflection)...

However, for the sake of interest, I find a nice background (without too much hype) is Ueshiba's biography by John Stevens. John Stevens has written lots of other stuff, but I can't help thinking he is pushing his own buddhist philosophy. On that note, great books I have discovered indirectly through aikido and I don't pretend any direct link include 'Lieh Tzi' by Eva Wong (great simple Taoist philosophy classic), 'Essays on Zen' (DT Suzuki), or an easier read is 'The Way of Zen' by Alan Watts. Also, one of the best books I've read on developing internal energy is 'The Way of Energy' Lam Kiew Kitt. I tend to find much of the aikido publications view on ki tends to be quite restricted and fails to recognise the depth and wealth of chinese literature on ki development and understanding. My all time favourite is 'Chuang Tzu' (by Palmer - another taoist classic).

I suppose if you want to understand Ueshiba's philosophy you have to get into Omote-kyo, though I don't really think many aikidoka are interested in that?! (maybe a good poll question?)

Last edited by ian : 10-05-2005 at 09:51 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---