Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Shinmai
Australia
Iriminage and Gyaku Iriminage

Hi all.

In his book "Four Diamonds, 1024 Basic Transitions & Counters of Aikido" author Nev Sagiba lists "The Sixteen Keys" of Aikido, being 16 basic techniques.

I understand what all of the techniques are except that I don't know what the difference is between two on the list. I know what Iriminage is, but what's the difference between Iriminage and Gyaku Iriminage?

Can someone explain this to me please? Couldn't find any videos that were enlightening.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Iriminage and Gyaku Iriminage

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I have heard the kokyu-nage pictured in the link below referred to as irimi-nage on occasion. It is backwards (gyaku) when compared to a regular irimi-nage.

http://www.threeriversaikido.co.uk/i...kokyu%20ho.jpg
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
gates

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I have heard the kokyu-nage pictured in the link below referred to as irimi-nage on occasion. It is backwards (gyaku) when compared to a regular irimi-nage.

http://www.threeriversaikido.co.uk/i...kokyu%20ho.jpg
Not sure if this helps but...
In iwama ryu thats morotedori kokyuho. Looks a lot like a Sokumen iriminage in other styles, but it is quite different in how it is applied.
Keith

Enjoy the journey
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Gyaku - opposite?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gyaku_irimi.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	917  

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
gates

Doesn't mean performed from gyaku hanmi does it?

Enjoy the journey
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

nah, that does not make sense. aihanmi iriminage and gyaku hanmi iriminage both as basic technique?

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
nah, that does not make sense. aihanmi iriminage and gyaku hanmi iriminage both as basic technique?
Makes sense to me. One would be using tai sabaki to enter.

Regards.G.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

Would the gyaku version be the one where you move in front of the uke at the end instead of them moving around you? Sometimes it looks like you are putting their lead arm around them like a scarf. Does that make sense?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Makes sense to me. One would be using tai sabaki to enter.
but,...then would not tai sabaki be the basic technique...?

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote: View Post
Would the gyaku version be the one where you move in front of the uke at the end instead of them moving around you? Sometimes it looks like you are putting their lead arm around them like a scarf. Does that make sense?
The image I posted shows something like that only do you use the other (free) arm to irimi. But yes I think it is something like that....

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Keith Gates wrote: View Post
In iwama ryu thats morotedori kokyuho. Looks a lot like a Sokumen iriminage in other styles, but it is quite different in how it is applied.
Keith
Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's kokyu-ho if you do it as an exercise, and kokyu-nage if you finish it as a throw. I have done it from morote-dori, ai-hanmi and gyakuhanmi katatedori, ryotedori, shomen-uchi, yokomen uchi, ryo-mune-tori, ushiro-tori, ushiro-kata tori, tsuki, ken-tori, jo-tori, and tanto-tori. Forgive me if I forgot any, but I don't think this is limited to morotedori.

As for whether it could be an irimi-nage, I don't see why not. There is a lot of irimi in it, and it's just a name after all.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Cedric Healy wrote: View Post

I understand what all of the techniques are except that I don't know what the difference is between two on the list. I know what Iriminage is, but what's the difference between Iriminage and Gyaku Iriminage?
only know regular iriminage and sokomen iriminage. sokomen is similar to back-fist into someone face as they passed by. the regular iriminage is similar to forward stroke of swimming. you see a number of different ones here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_Lk...eature=related mostly the same with slight variation at the beginning.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
gates

Quote:
Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's kokyu-ho if you do it as an exercise, and kokyu-nage if you finish it as a throw. I have done it from morote-dori, ai-hanmi and gyakuhanmi katatedori, ryotedori, shomen-uchi, yokomen uchi, ryo-mune-tori, ushiro-tori, ushiro-kata tori, tsuki, ken-tori, jo-tori, and tanto-tori. Forgive me if I forgot any, but I don't think this is limited to morotedori.

As for whether it could be an irimi-nage, I don't see why not. There is a lot of irimi in it, and it's just a name after all.
The person in the picture looks like Hitohiro Saito Sensei but I could be wrong. I agree the name is a label it really doesn't matter what you call it, it is what it is. However in Iwama Ryu, this technique is called Morote Dori Kokyu ho, again you are right it is an exercise practised at the start of every class in every Iwama Style Dojo. From any other attack it is kokyu nage. It is a 'gateway' technique.

Last edited by gates : 09-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Enjoy the journey
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
but,...then would not tai sabaki be the basic technique...?

The image I posted shows something like that only do you use the other (free) arm to irimi. But yes I think it is something like that....
Hi Tim. Tai sabaki is a motion not a technique. Therefore it would put you in the position to tenkan and perform the technique or iriminage. It is very basic when you look at it motion wise.

To get to one side of the body you have two choices depending on which foot is foreward ie; posture. You can enter irimi/tenkan or if the other posture then tai sabaki. That's the simplicity I see.

Regards.G.

Last edited by graham christian : 09-27-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cedric Healy wrote: View Post
Hi all.

In his book "Four Diamonds, 1024 Basic Transitions & Counters of Aikido" author Nev Sagiba lists "The Sixteen Keys" of Aikido, being 16 basic techniques.

Can someone explain this to me please? Couldn't find any videos that were enlightening.
Dear Cedric,
Not seeing your book I cannot say for certain what you are querying.Irimi Nage is the method oof throwing a partner by entering into the partners centre and throwing you partner.Gyaku [Hamni ] irimi nage means that the partner has a Gyaku posture [left hand of uke to right wrist of Tori and vice versa,]then irimi nage can be executed by tori at jodan [upper level , chudan[middle level ] and gedan[lower level] as required.
Hope this helps, Joe.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Keith
Keith ,
If uke is holding with one hand to partners one wrist your throw could be classified asa sokumen waza ie penterating the centre of the uke as if using a spear thrust.Your illustration is indeed morote dori. Joe.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
The person in the picture looks like Hitohiro Saito Sensei but I could be wrong. I agree the name is a label it really doesn't matter what you call it, it is what it is. However in Iwama Ryu, this technique is called Morote Dori Kokyu ho, again you are right it is an exercise practised at the start of every class in every Iwama Style Dojo. From any other attack it is kokyu nage. It is a 'gateway' technique.
Itīs actually kokyu-ho from a lot of other attacks than morotedori but it can also be a kokyunage. If done with a direct entry (with hitoemi, as in sixth and seventh suburi) itīs very like what others call sokomen iriminage.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Yes, it is Saito Hirohito sensei
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
Shinmai
Australia

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Cedric,
Not seeing your book I cannot say for certain what you are querying.
The book is available from the Aikido Journal website, and the full description can be found here.

I do not have the full book, just the free sample PDF. It's only a few pages, but it lists what the author calls "The Sixteen Keys", which is a list of 16 basic techniques. A footnote to that list states that he has used "the most common contemporary names of these techniques", and acknowledges that there may be naming variations.

Here is the download link for the free sample.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Thanks Cedric,

I'm a bit confused as to what he means by obiotoshi, and also the difference between the 2 variations of sumiotoshi. I've never heard of obiotoshi (presumably you grab their belt???), and I've seen so many different things referred to as sumiotoshi that it's hard to know what he means with the 2 variations.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Shinmai
Australia

Quote:
I'm a bit confused as to what he means by obiotoshi, and also the difference between the 2 variations of sumiotoshi. I've never heard of obiotoshi (presumably you grab their belt???), and I've seen so many different things referred to as sumiotoshi that it's hard to know what he means with the 2 variations.
I watched quite a few YouTube videos to gain an understanding of these, superficial as my understanding probably is at this stage.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:23 AM   #21
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thanks Cedric,

Dear Robin,
Tori enters to the side of Uke-lower hand grabs hold of ukes belt, maintains tight control of the uke via belt, inserts knee behind uke and drops[otoshi ] uke backwards over his knee.Obi [belt ]otoshi [dropping motion ].This method ensures a good connection between Uke /Tori .It a strong waza. Tori can also take ukes neck and control the neck in conjunction with the belt hold-a variation-slightly severe method here. Cheers, Joe.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #22
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Robin,
Tori enters to the side of Uke-lower hand grabs hold of ukes belt, maintains tight control of the uke via belt, inserts knee behind uke and drops[otoshi ] uke backwards over his knee.Obi [belt ]otoshi [dropping motion ].This method ensures a good connection between Uke /Tori .It a strong waza. Tori can also take ukes neck and control the neck in conjunction with the belt hold-a variation-slightly severe method here. Cheers, Joe.
Thanks. I can sort of picture it, I think.