Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
chadsieger
Dojo: Minh Sensei
Talking Focus Energy / Dissipate Energy

Hello all!

Once I asked my sensei how he was able to generate so much strength. Being somewhat diminutive and only weighing 160 or so, I was/am somewhat perplex how he had such control over my person. His first answer was, that besides staying soft/relaxed (which increases muscle effect) and using more of his hips (to say all from his hips would be impossible), that he didn't generate that much strength at all, he simply knew where the force/energy was coming from, he also knew where it wasn't. He would simply move in that direction (like water, always to least resitence.)

Though that is the case, he hadn't quite answered my question. Feeling somewhat unsatisfied, I prodded furthur. Eventually he explained to me that through training one can learn internally either to focus the energy or dissapate the energy. Which is to say, eventually a martial artist may concentrate all of their energy to one single point. Conversely, they should also be able to dissipate an attackers energy to an infinite number of points. Every Aikido technique requires this focusing/dissipating of energy aspect often multiple times.

Focusing our engery to one point makes it all the more effective, whereas dissipating the oncoming energy makes it much eaiser to handle. Could this phenomena be responsible for some of mysteries surrounding "ki"? To watch it is one thing. To feel it is another. Regardless, it plays an intergral part of Aikido training.

Has anyone noticed the focusing/dissipating nature in their Aikido training?

Thanks
Chad Sieger

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is exactly the place to train-
M. Ueshiba
Old 09-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Not sure I am following your concept or description 100%, I have been studying MA only 10 years now, and 5 years give or take in aikido/medidation etc.

When I first started aikido, I was very, very critical coming from a strong External fighting system. I much like you had a similar experience when I had a 5 dan show me something, I basically trapped him in the corner and proceeded to keep him from moving since I noticed that aikido depended heavily on moving your body...he could not do anything, so he said "hey lets ask sensei..about that time Saotome Sensei came down into the dojo and we should him, well I got the biggest KI lesson in my life, picking myself up off the floor...and had about the same experience you did.

Anyway, for me I spent about 4 years trying to figure out how to control uke. Just in the past several months after a long, long break, and reading much eastern philosophy and medidation I finally started trying to "listen" to Uke and experience his/her energy...that has opened up my training to a whole new dimension. I do have moments now when I can "feel" the energy where it is and where to direct it....it is not metaphysical in the sense of electricity or anything, but it is energy all the same.

The downside to all this is I do get clocked on the head more often while I "listen" but it only hurts my ego, and I do feel I am finally getting somewhere1

Old 09-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Uke4life
I totally agree with Kevin. Yet, Kevin, what did that dan do to you? You somewhat lost me on that story, plz go into more detail, I am very intregued. As for Chad, I myself have experienced a moment or two in the "zone". Actually it was more like an entire session, but in that 3 hours I was on fire, literally I had sweated more then than ever in my whole life. I even focused all my "ki" on my hands and my palms started to sweat. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm for real. Needless to say, I have never reached that plane of "enlightenment" again. Hope to some day tho, lol. Well I hope that answered your question, and very sorry if it didn't. Train Safe!!!!

It is not the destination, but the journey.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:37 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
It is the old training of hitting a swinging heavy bag. Let your heavy bag swing. Try hitting it in various stages of movement. As it moves towards you and loses it momentum your power is increased, until it totally loses momentum and your effort to return it increase its swing and motion.

Aikido does a lot of this same increase in multiplying your strength and the opponents motion.

The other application is the falling log.

Stand a six foot tall piece of wood on end, a four by four should be about right ... be sure to sand off the sharp corners. Now, practice some of the movements of your Aikido class with the log and see what is effective, what is easier to move, and what movements of your body work best?

Two simple tools, and two simple methods of practice in learning to effectively use your body motion, weight, strength to move objects with dissappation of energy.

Hey, Chad, are you going to Morristown for the upcoming seminar?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
chadsieger
Dojo: Minh Sensei
Talking

Thanks Kevin and Bruce,

No, I haven't heard anything about the Morristown Seminar. Who will be conducting it? I personally don't go to to many seminars, Stevens was an exception. Please let me know more about it.

Thanks,

Chad

Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is exactly the place to train-
M. Ueshiba
Old 09-05-2002, 08:47 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
sorry I didn't elaborate, try not to tell "war" stories if I can help it.

Basically, I had him pinned up against the wall so he could not move off the wall without me hitting or kicking him. (kinda Muay Thai style).

He was a small guy, I am a big guy about 6 2, 230. He basically was trying to irimi around me and I would "box" him back in.

Saotome sensei got up against the wall and basically bent down at the waist drawing me down and slightly forward and grabbed my head and face planted me into the wall and ended up behind me.

Holding my nose in my hand, he basically said, "the problem you two are having is you see the wall as your enemy too". "the wall is your friend".

As best I can figure, the 5th Dan was fighting straight off the wall and into me trying to "fight through".

Saotome Sensei, basically leaned up against the wall, drew me in and placed my face on the wall before trying to irimi.

Old 09-06-2002, 03:17 PM   #7
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
That would be Sept 7th, all day, and Sunday morning, Sept 8th, with Susan Wolk, and Charlie MeGinnis.

The people at Morristown are great to train with, and it is about the size of the dance studio/ dojo we used in the Stevens sensei seminar.

Since I do most of the posting on the internet for the LBI seminars and contacts, our club has gotten a lot more invitations to seminars within two hours drive of our location.

It is a good thing the little guy in the last story didn't know about the rule of three or some very painful stikes to pressure points, with his back to the wall as his friend the attacker has no where to go but forward ... but that is another lesson in self defense.