Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #26
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: No Gi Aikido

lol! that is awesome! Glad O'sensei is turned the way he is, I wouldn't want to see his KI projection full on.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

We practice very Tuesday night without gi. Mostly, people wear jeans and a t-shirt. In the summer when we are practicing outside we don't wear gi. I didn't wear a gi until about a week before my fifth kyu test. Gi, no gi, whatever.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."
Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #28
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
lol! that is awesome! Glad O'sensei is turned the way he is, I wouldn't want to see his KI projection full on.
In "Angry White Pajamas" Robert Twigger recounts the anecdote that O-Sensei used to tell his students to test their "KI projection" by being able to punch a hole through a shoji (paper screen) using a certain "bodily function"

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #29
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines

Nice post Dr. Cito. (I actually love it) It seems to be a good illustration...Would be hard to find waterfalls in the city though...(natural or man made)

...also I would probably discourage the wet look...
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #30
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: No Gi Aikido

Hey guys, thank you for all your thoughts. What seems to be an initially dry topic is quite building its pace...

BTW, who's the partner of O Sensei in that picture?

We did some training at the beach before but not really while in the water...

Iking
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #31
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai

The guy in the waterfall with O-sensei is his son, Kisshomaru.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #32
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: No Gi Aikido

Thank you Jonathan.

I wonder if the current aikikai doshu does the same? or did he practice this with his father?

Pictures anyone...?
Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Found this conversation, and would like to give it a bump. The manner in which people can train, and the changes and progressions being made to it, are related - and contribute to - a topic I've started, Third Wave Aikido.

Our group's been training outside all summer, and people are just dressing in comfortable clothing. I often have on a dress shirt and shorts - because that's what I usually wear in the summers. There's even one of the guys who wears a distressed straw cowboy hat.

There is no ritual or bowing. We train informally, and shake hands upon meeting and departing.

I certainly still think there's a place for kieogi and hakama, but I think it also can create a barrier. I've seen a marked progression in the movement abilities of people when they can dress how they want and what they find comfortable. They remain in their "everyday energy," rather than suiting up and feeling like they have to become something more formal, or a character from another culture and time period.

It's allowing the training to be much more accessible, and people have been responsive.

Last edited by Dan Richards : 09-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #34
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Personally I like the dogi and the rei of training but .....

Every now and then you should go out and practice outside the confines of the dojo. The first time I did this my aikido literally collapsed - I did not feel nearly as competent as I normally did.

Once you realized the difference - you can adjust your training.

Years ago one of my teachers of Nihon Kempo (read armored MMA) did not believe in warming up because he wanted to be ready for a fight at any moment. On a certain level that makes a lot of sense. We use our environment to mentally define our training and hence how we react.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #35
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

We do "real world" classes sometimes where we all wear shorts and t-shirts, or sweat pants and t-shirts, or even slacks/khaki's and long-sleeve shirts.

Once people get over the "weirdness" of practice while not "looking like practice" it's all fine and normal.

But, I draw the line at wearing my suits on the mat. Do a big long roll= torn sleeve from shoulder seam, I'm certain.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #36
Sojourner
Australia

Perhaps it depends on what your goals are in training for Aikido and if you are there for personal development, fitness or self defense training? If its for self defense training then no gi training should be an option as should small circle aikido techniques in confined spaces.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #37
lbb
United_States

Everybody does no gi aikido, it's called a "dojo party".