Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #176
GovernorSilver
Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Aiki in any position, eh? How about when you're lying in the park napping?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #177
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Sorry Oisin, I don't do videos because there will always be some jerk out there who wants to criticise my stuff, even if they don't understand what I'm doing. ;-)

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #178
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Thumbs down Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Alec Corper wrote: View Post
Sorry Oisin, I don't do videos because there will always be some jerk out there who wants to criticise my stuff, even if they don't understand what I'm doing. ;-)
I assume that's not targeted at me. In any event, because ye were so free to criticize the videos others i thought it's only fair to give people an idea of what it is ye are criticizing. It's more productive imo.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #179
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Oisin,
When I say I can't see it, that doesn't mean you couldn't.
So, please, what did you see?
Best,
Bernd
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #180
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
At least you didn't say uke is going to die.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #181
Alec Corper

Netherlands

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
I assume that's not targeted at me. In any event, because ye were so free to criticize the videos others i thought it's only fair to give people an idea of what it is ye are criticizing. It's more productive imo.
Of course it is targeted at you. You are being critical of others being critical of others without being certain that is what they are doing.
Watching and seeing are 2 different things. If I can't feel someones technique I need to develop the ability to see. If iI can't feel and and I can't see how can I do. BTW, I'm not some punk, I started MA before you were born so get off your high horse.

respectfully yours (with a list of grades that don't mean diddly squat in the real world, unless you think they do))
Aikikai 5th Dan
Shinkendo Chuden Renshu Kaku
Toyama Ryu Battojutsu 1st Dan
Chuan She Chuan boxing Black Sash
Apprentice Instructor WDS

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #182
Alec Corper

Netherlands

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
At least you didn't say uke is going to die.
Demetrio,
I would never say such a thing to anyone, not even if meant it

Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #183
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Of course it is targeted at you. You are being critical of others being critical of others without being certain that is what they are doing.
Watching and seeing are 2 different things. If I can't feel someones technique I need to develop the ability to see. If iI can't feel and and I can't see how can I do. BTW, I'm not some punk, I started MA before you were born so get off your high horse.

respectfully yours (with a list of grades that don't mean diddly squat in the real world, unless you think they do))
Aikikai 5th Dan
Shinkendo Chuden Renshu Kaku
Toyama Ryu Battojutsu 1st Dan
Chuan She Chuan boxing Black Sash
Apprentice Instructor WDS
I asked you to post a video of you doing something correctly that you crticise others for and you insult me.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #184
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Bernd Lehnen wrote: View Post
Oisin,
When I say I can't see it, that doesn't mean you couldn't.
So, please, what did you see?
Best,
Bernd
You're the one making the statements Bernd, so why don't you show us a correct demonstration of what you're talking about.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #185
Alec Corper

Netherlands

Oisin,
You asked for other people to justify what you believe to be criticism. I would suggest you look in your own heart for who was doing what to who. I am not insulting you but that may not stop you feeling insulted. I do not know you, you may be excellent at what you do and be a very sincere man. You do not know me and i certainly don't feel the need to justify my observations.
God bless.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #186
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
You're the one making the statements Bernd, so why don't you show us a correct demonstration of what you're talking about.
You're beating a dead horse my friend.

Ron

Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #187
Alec Corper

Netherlands

couldn't resist eh Ron?

Oh well thats me done for another 6 months or so.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #188
oisin bourke

Ireland

Quote:
Oisin,
You asked for other people to justify what you believe to be criticism. I would suggest you look in your own heart for who was doing what to who. I am not insulting you but that may not stop you feeling insulted. I do not know you, you may be excellent at what you do and be a very sincere man. You do not know me and i certainly don't feel the need to justify my observations.
God bless.
Alec, it's the same thing over and over: "He's not doing internal aiki that we learned from whoever.' Right, that's fine. If people post videos publicly it's up for discussion, so in that case why don't you or whoever show us what's going on? If you can analyse a high ranking aikido practicioner crtiically, I assume you know why and can demonstrate it. In any event, it's a lot more productive than trading insults.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #189
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Dan doesn't and others, more able than I, dont. Reading your comments, certainly a wise decision.
By the way, I needn't, I haven't got a horse in it...
Good luck to you.

Best,
Bernd
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #190
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Agree pretty much. I don't see much evidence of "intent" driven structure, but I am not as strict as you are
I don't see intent-driven mechanisms (i.e. tanden/meimon usage, etc.) for holding structure, either. But he does start with alignment and "relaxation" -- alignment of his joints. Because the alignments are passive (not held by intent-driven adjustments of sinew, fascia, specific muscle), he can't maintain them once he moves.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #191
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Any chance any of ye will post a video of yourselves doing this "correctly", so we can see the difference?
You are welcome to train with us anytime for hands-on feel and discussion. That is a sincere, and sincerely friendly, invitation.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #192
oisin bourke

Ireland
Arrow Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
You are welcome to train with us anytime for hands-on feel and discussion. That is a sincere, and sincerely friendly, invitation.
So that's a no to the video then. Okay.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #193
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
So that's a no to the video then. Okay.
You can shoot video if you visit.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #194
oisin bourke

Ireland
Question Re: Are you invincible if you possess Aiki?

Quote:
You can shoot video if you visit.
That just comes across as marketing to me. I'll pass.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #195
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
That just comes across as marketing to me. I'll pass.
Are you serious?
That's unfortunate if you are. I lead a tiny AJJ study group in Boston. Also, I train in internal Chinese martial arts (Zhong Xin Dao/I Liq Chuan) and train in a study group for that, as well.
I don't make any money from aiki. It's just something I love to study and practice, and have been doing so for the past 19 years.

You are still welcome if you're ever on this side of the pond.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #196
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

I would raise the argument that we (aikido community) will tolerate, and even positively comment on a video of someone performing, say ribbon aikido. Or dum aikido. Or start/stop compliant uke kata. Yet, as soon as a conversation of aiki comes up, "well, I would need to see it work to believe it." Really? do you think drum aikido works? Where are the street application videos? Or, zombie aikido, or kata aikido vids? There are none. We are talking about aiki movement and aikido movement, let's keep our evaluation process fair and stop pivoting our evaluative criteria.

Second, I have tried communicating that I believe aiki in aikido is actually very rare. I think the lack of video evidence is supportive of that belief and I am not surprised that good videos of aiki are hard to find. Why do we keep throwing up instruction vids to scrutinize? All that is happening is that we are recognizing that the videos don't support IP movement while putting someone under a microscope without even given in the subject the option to respond to a video that may not reflect what we are discussing, let alone the age of the video or skill of the subject in the video. I am unclear from where the feeling that the aikido community is obligated to provide a video for consumption concerning a point of discussion is coming. There are training aspects in aikido we discuss all the time without requiring video. The problem, I think, is that IP is something that actually is foreign to many so there is not common experience on which to draw.

Third, I am consuming this thread as an inquiry into the benefits of IP training, and the differences between IP and "regular" training. It's a compare/contrast conversation. For me, that is first a fundamental question of whether you believe you have aiki, and second a question of training to develop that skill. I think many people believe they have aiki; what we hear largely from the IP community is that most of us don't. If you don't understand and appreciate that reality, I think this thread is probably hard to follow. If you don't want to explore the issue, why are you even reading the thread?

I continue to point back to the honesty (if not tongue-in-cheek) and playfulness of the thread title, which correctly identifies a separation in experience so unique and to play with the thought of invincibility in movement, which is not actually a bad descriptor of someone who moves with aiki (if somewhat sensational). One could speculate that without that feeling in your movement, it is likely that you are not moving with aiki. For all the words on the internet, it won't change how you move.

Last edited by jonreading : 03-20-2017 at 10:53 AM.

Jon Reading
Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #197
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I check in periodically to see how the dialogue changes and it really hasn't since I've been watching this "debate" for more than 10 years - in that time I've been busy with training a lot of the areas that get discussed under the auspices of "internal strength". My perspective is that there's a set of common skills (and various flavors of information about them, depending on who you have access to) that get explored to various degrees regarding how to train the bodyskill of directing external forces (chiefly the naturally occurring ones of gravity and ground) and various conditioning methods to more effectively manage those forces in your body. In parallel (and this takes longer but is critical) is the bodywork to build the bones/muscles/tendon/tissue connections (to better propagate and issue the ground/gavity forces) which is different than just conditioning your body to respond to load.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #198
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
I check in periodically ...
Hi Budd, time no see. How it is going?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #199
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Hi Budd, time no see. How it is going?
Good and busy, Demetrio! How have you been? Have you gotten your hands on anyone doing this stuff?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #200
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
I lead a tiny AJJ study group in Boston. Also, I train in internal Chinese martial arts (Zhong Xin Dao/I Liq Chuan) and train in a study group for that, as well.
Cady - I have two video links attached to this post that I looked up only to get a representative sample of the outer forms of the arts you study. The first is Sam Chin demonstrating I Liq Chuan and the second is Seigo Okamoto demonstrating Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu.

It's pretty evident from the clips that the outer forms of both arts are decidedly different in appearance. Since both arts stress the generation of internal power, I'm wondering if they share common internal power training methods or are the training methods unique to the respective art?

Ron