Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
BEleanor
What is different about aikido?

Hello,

I am trying to answer a question for myself; thought I would put it out there for the collective experience and wisdom and see what comes of it. What is there, in Aikido, that is really unique and not found in other martial arts? Anything? A unique combination of things? What does aikido offer that other arts don't?

Thank you in advance.

BE
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Lee Salzman
Re: What is different about aikido?

Aiki
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Cliff Judge
Japan

I don't think Aikido has any unique single elements to it, but it is a fairly unique package among martial arts that most people in the world can train in without going too far out of their way.

The best thing about Aikido is the cooperative, non-competitive nature of training and philosophy.

The fact that it is non-competitive and cooperative are not unique, as all the classical Japanese martial arts are built on a foundation of non-competitive, cooperative kata training where techniques and principles are practiced in a formal manner. But Aikido allows for the technique to fit the abilities of the practitioner, as opposed to forcing the practitioner's abilities to fit the technique. That's something that can be done without risk of serious injury but it can involve a lot of pain.

Movements are generally big and circular so you can get a certain kind of workout that is good for circulation and you can explore practicing technique while keeping the body relaxed.

There is a deeply-rooted philosophy of finding alternatives to resistance, aggression, and direct opposition that is practiced with the body in class, but can be applied elsewhere in everyday life.

It might be that yoga and some Chinese martial arts provide all of these things, but with most styles, Aikido is all paired training, so for some people, it makes them come out of their inner shells and deal with the world around them a bit more. Some people go for the Japanese trappings as well, and the fact that it has a real warrior pedigree.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Dear Barbara,
Aikido offers a platform for people to post articles ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.Cheers, Joe.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
BEleanor

thank you for the thoughtful and straightfoward answer. That is a really helpful, simple summary.

B
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
lbb
United_States

Does aikido have to offer something that other martial arts don't? Is that why you train? If so, don't you already know the answer to your own question?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Mert Gambito

Quote:
Barbara Knapp wrote: View Post
What is there, in Aikido, that is really unique and not found in other martial arts?
On one hand, aikido is the one martial art with a grappling component I've experienced in which I've taken ukemi in a manner that's safe for me, as well as appropriate for the technique applied by the tori/nage (by broader standards, i.e. including various Japanese jujutsu, judo and BJJ), yet I was scolded for not being cooperative enough and/or doing the ukemi properly.

On the other hand, aikido is the one martial art I've experienced in which I've been admonished (and encouraged) that the form of the ukemi taken by a training partner is of zero relevance in terms of the quality of my expression as tori/nage.

Mert
Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Aikido, Aikijujutsu, Jujitsu, Judo and Russian Systema offer more paired training with partners than most other martial arts. And out of those, Aikido and Systema are the two that probably allow for the most individualist expression of the art.

Aikido is kind of like the Jazz of the martial arts world, with everything from Coltrane and Davis to Kenny G, crappy lounge singers, and new age smatterings of Yanni.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #9
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

combination of mostly paired training, odd weapons (swords and medium length stick), multiple attackers, non-clashing power, and last but not least, where men proudly wear skirts with or without shaving their legs and/or wearing panty hose.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 09-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
BEleanor

Hey, thanks all, some really cogent good thoughts here. Helped me clarify some things. though I have been in aikido for awhile, I don't know much at all about other martial arts. For various reasons, I am thinking about what aikido has to offer. This discussion was very helpful - sometimes you need to hear it from outside.
thanks again, feel done with this and will not be back for a bit.
BE