Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #1
drDalek

Re-entering training after knee injury

I recently re-injured my left knee (which has always been a bother since first injuring it about 4 years ago)

I took a month off from Aikido to recouperate and while I'm not 100% back yet I am considering doing a class tonight at a slow and gentle pace. Sitting around and not doing Aikido is waaaay too frustrating.

I have an elastic bandage for my knee that I plan on wearing, any other tips that I could incorporate to get me back on the mat as soon as possible and as safely as possible?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:58 AM   #2
mj
Re: Re-entering training after knee injury

Consult a physiotherapist.

Be prepared to swim or start some weight training to strengthen it.

Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

I would err on the side of caution.

I injured my left knee during aikido training in 1974 and had an operation to remove part of the meniscus two years later. I followed a programme of rehabilitation (for various reasons this had to be at a different hospital from the one where I had the operation), but my consultant was very unhappy with the programme that was followed. It was far too vigorous and put too much strain on the knee at too early a stage. He cautioned that the joint could well become arthritic later in life. In addition, like you I was itching to get back to practise and went on the mat too soon.

With the result that in 2004, my left knee causes problems. I had an MRI recently and my doctor told me that there was debilitation of the meniscus, probably the consequence of the earlier rehabilitation, coupled with more wear and tear over the years. He suggested that an operation might be necessary (similar to the one that Ken Cottier had recently\if you know him: I believe that he visits SA occasionally). I am now more convinced than ever that aikido injuries simply sleep: they do not go away.

On the other hand, Tada Sensei recently told me that the real answer lies in kokyuu-hou\and he is a blisteringly healthy 73-year old 9th dan. His eyesight is bad, but he has no other injuries whatsoever.

You give no indication of what the injuries and re-injuries were, so it is difficult to give advice other than the obvious, which is, as the Japanese would say in matters pertaining to illness and injuries: O-daiji-ni.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 11-03-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, from an old man with bad knees, get a competent examination by a sport orthopedic doctor, learn the physical therapy knee stabilization exercises, warm up, watch your alignment (toes, knees, and hip all pointed in same direction), don't over extend (knees past toes), go slow, bow out early.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Wynand, I'm the person who spent the 18 months post injury/surgery/rehab doing knee injury research as my form of training. The advice above sounds good, including that we don't know what you have injured, how badly, etc and we don't have any idea what "not 100%" means!
I'm NEVER going to be at 100%, but I'm at my new baseline, and have to adapt accordingly. Other folks, if they are careful, can regain a prior baseline but will always be at high risk for reinjury.

Much routine leg strengthening, including postop, does include exercises that place stress on the internal structures of the knee by having you flex and extend the knee with lots of weight-bearing (think all the machines at the gym, or putting ankle weights on and then flexing and extending). I would recommend focussing more on things like straight leg raising and static wall sits (for quads) and hamstring exercises done lying on the back with knees bent, as they are kinder to the mensicus and cartilage overall.

I tend to be the extreme voice that says: knee pain w/ history of damage? then don't do shikko, don't do suwariwaza, period. It's too hight risk, too likely to create problems that will further interfere with your future training. Most people ignore me....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Janet,

I'm learning the hard way NOT to ignore you. And paying for ignoring the same advice from my instructor in the past. My opinion...be carefull, consider a hinged brace of some type, listen to Janet.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
I tend to be the extreme voice that says: knee pain w/ history of damage? then don't do shikko, don't do suwariwaza, period. It's too hight risk, too likely to create problems that will further interfere with your future training. Most people ignore me....
I injured my left knee (why is it always the left knee?) a few months back and have been taking it easy since then. Shikko and suwariwaza are definitely out for me since I also had a toe injury that just does not want to get better and restricts me from kneeling with the toes bent. I guess we all just have to make adjustments as we get older and less flexible.

Greg Steckel
Old 11-03-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
Janet Rosen

First, Ron, I'm sorry you are learning the hard way (sigh) if it's any consolation, I have been too; you all reap the "oops, don't do that"s of my life!
Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote:
I guess we all just have to make adjustments as we get older and less flexible.
Greg Steckel
Greg, just want to point out one thing: it may not be lack of flexibility. Some folks, at any age, get hurt because they are hyperflexible in a joint and have not done work to strengthen the surrounding muscles. Each person is different, and within each body, joint to joint may be different.
But, yeah, it all gets harder/slower to heal as we age.
janet, whose right knee is the bum one

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield