Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #1
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Seasonal Aikido?

I've noticed a large increase in the number of new members to the forums (welcome all, by the way ). There have also been more than the usual amount of people stopping by the dojo to watch and consider training. Is it the spring air, the warm weather, open schedules? Have those of you who have been training for a few years noticed this kind of Spring Rush before? Do most new folk stick with it when the weather turns cold and cloudy?

Thanks
Clayton
Old 05-06-2004, 08:01 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Seasonal Aikido?

Many things in life are very "seasonal". IMHO, it has more to do with the changes in schedules than the weather (though those do go hand in hand). Each time we pick up a few that stay. Martial arts has a high drop out rate when people find it isn't as easy or as fast to learn as they think. Its okay. Exposes a few new people to the art. They come. They go. A few stay. You train with whoever is at the Dojo that day. Even if it's season for others, I am glad it isn't seasonal for me.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-06-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
GaiaM
Dojo: Bend Aiki Martial Arts
United_States

Changing seasons definitely seem to go along with changing schedules. However, in my experience, attendence in Aikido classes is up in the winter when there are less opportunities for outdoor recreation. So I guess it depends on the location and the population.
Enjoy the spring (or fall down-under)
Gaia

Old 05-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
DanielR

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Even if it's seasonal for others, I am glad it isn't seasonal for me.
What a great way to put it!

Daniel
Old 05-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
akiy

Hi Clayton,
Quote:
Clayton Drescher wrote:
I've noticed a large increase in the number of new members to the forums (welcome all, by the way ). There have also been more than the usual amount of people stopping by the dojo to watch and consider training. Is it the spring air, the warm weather, open schedules? Have those of you who have been training for a few years noticed this kind of Spring Rush before? Do most new folk stick with it when the weather turns cold and cloudy?
I don't think I've seen a real increase in new students during Spring; the usual times I've personally seen spikes in new student numbers is January (New Year's Resolution? Wanting to try out something new for the new year?) and September (with new students at the local college).

Here's a poll I took a while back, "In which month did you start practicing aikido?"

http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=135

There's a remarkedly larger number for September...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:17 AM   #6
Ian Williams

don't forget many of us live in the top hemisphere where it's autum now spring has not sprung for us.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
Tharis
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States

I train in a college dojo, and as such we see a major spike at the beginning of every semester, usually about 20 or so new members. Usually this number dwindles to about half a dozen by the end of the semester, two or three of which continue training in the club. I suppose this situation is specific to college, though...

Also, I specifically am generally unable to train over the summer as there are no dojos within an hour's drive of my house and I usually have work and other commitments.

Yours,
Thomas