Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #101
akiy

Re: Is Morihei Ueshiba really O Sensei

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
For people who want to turn him into some Christ-like Yoda figure, they are going directly against his own teachings.
[snip]
Of course, this is not helped by "miracle" stories created by writers who should know better. While these stories are denied by Aikikai and people who trained directly with the founder, they booster this attitude.
Shioda sensei writes about his first-hand experience of seeing the founder basically "dodge'" bullets. My rough translation of the episode can be found here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=13

(The above is from the thread, "Super O'Sensei". Related thread also here, "Poll: Do you believe that Morihei Ueshiba actually dodged bullets?".)

As far as Michael's comments goes, he stated that he was just kidding.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM   #102
Michael Neal

Ted Ehara, good grief.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 AM   #103
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Michael Neal:
Most people on the net just write things off the top of their heads, often threatening others. If those same threats were made on the street, they might be considered assualt.
Quote:
Assault (Law) An apparently violent attempt, or willful offer with force or violence, to do hurt to another; an attempt or offer to beat another, accompanied by a degree of violence, but without touching his person, as by lifting the fist, or a cane, in a threatening manner, or by striking at him, and missing him. If the blow aimed takes effect, it is a battery. --Blackstone. Wharton.
You may have written that threat in jest, but there was no immediate indication of that. Additionally, death threats are outside the realm of humor and should always be taken seriously.

I can only hope you do not make this a regular habit.

Kool

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 07-08-2004, 10:52 AM   #104
Michael Neal

You are pretty much out of your mind.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #105
TexV2
Dojo: Aikido Of Petaluma
United_States

How the hell do you assualt somebody on a thread board? It's goota be "a threat followed by a degree of violence" I just don't follow the physics on that one.
And to quote one of my favorite films...."Nobody is to stone anybody until I blow THIS whistle!!!"

A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:27 PM   #106
tedehara

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
You are pretty much out of your mind.
If you believe we can only live with our self-delusions and not try to learn the truth.

If you believe we cannot treat each other with more respect.

Then yes - I am way off the deep end.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 07-10-2004, 06:37 AM   #107
white rose
Dojo: White Rose Aikikai
United Kingdom

Just a quick one.

Do you know the difference between God and some Aikido Sensei. God does not think his an Aikido Sensei.

I think its funny.

Sean
Old 07-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #108
tedehara

BTW Michael, don't take any of this personally. I certainly don't harbor any ill feelings towards you. However I am sensitive in this area.

Over the last few years, this web site has lost members through threats and accusations. They were good people with diverse points of views. I miss the great discussions we could have had.

About Ki
About You
Old 07-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #109
Michael Neal

Ted, the thing is that there were no threats made, it was a joke. The ridiculous thing is that even after me and other people have said it was a joke you still go on as if I was serious. This is why I say that you are out of you mind.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:08 PM   #110
Jim Saba
Dojo: Mushin Dojo
United_States
Re: Is Morihei Ueshiba really O Sensei (reply Jim Saba )

Ueshiba died when I was still an infinite, so I can claim to have know him or know really what he taught, but you are correct in your assessment of things. There are plenty of good technicians.

I guess that it like what we do to people in history. We choose to elevate some and not others. Some my deserve it , but people who are solid people don't generally need to show it.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 PM   #111
Martin Ruedas

Dojo: Makiling Southside
Philippines

This thread is quite annoying. if there is someone who has bad aikido, it's his/her fault. if there is someone who is good at it, it's because of his/her own efforts. I think O'Sensei is pointing us the Way and it's up to us if we follow and we soon realize that this Way, starts and ends right here, right now.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:02 PM   #112
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

Ehara- I love debates and discussions. Your first post brought many thoughts to my mind. O'Sensei- A great Sensei. One who was able to pass on techniques and philosophies that have brought Aikido to where it is today. Anyone that was able to do this is in fact great. As far as skill I can not judge for I have never seen this man in action.

I have learned this from my last instructor in Shin Shin Jujitsu. He made a comment to me just before I was sent out to teach. He said that I was able to beat him in many aspects of Jujitsu and that is how he knew he was teaching me correctly. He stated, "I could have held back knowledge or not taught you certain things so that I could truly be better in skill, however I shared 100% of my knowledge with you and now you are better in many aspects."

My reply to him was this, "You have shown me how to improve my own skills, without you I would not be as good as I am. I thank you for your honestly, patience, and ability to let your pride down and notice the accomplishments -""You""- have created."

I guess my point is that without a great teacher, you will not have great students. The practitioners you have said to be great, are great, because of O'Sensei.

I have only been studying Aikido for four months, so I have no clue of who anyone is except for O'Sensei. I appreciate your Devils Advocate ways in starting up a discussion by the way.
Take care and good luck in your studies.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #113
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Interesting statement to make. Forgive me if someone else has stated the following but I could not read the numerous posts.

So Ted, to say one product is better than another; ie. whether Saito, Tomiki, or whoever is better than or as good as O'Sensei would mean that you had practiced with O'Sensei as well as the other teachers you mentioned so you could make an educated decision. Have you practiced with all of them?

Truly all that were mentioned are masters in their own right as well as O'Sensei. Does it really matter who is better? Depending on the teaching style of the instructor you may learn better from John Doe and to you John Doe would then be O'Sensei, right?

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 08-14-2004, 03:52 AM   #114
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Imaizumi Sensei is at our dojo teaching a seminar this weekend. I was chatting with one of his senior students and we got on the subject of how our teachers could, even after thirty years, still whip out some block of techniques which you had never seen before. I had seen this at the Rocky Mountain Summer Camp with Saotome Sensei. I was commenting on how much was lost each time one of these teachers passed away.

My friend said that Imaizumi Sensei had commented that this had started even in his generation. Much was lost when O-Sensei passed away and more as the old instructors, like Arikawa Sensei, died. When his generation passes, still more will lost. But he said that this was ok and part of the natural process because the students who have come after will develop their own knowledge and skills that they will add into Aikido so it will keep growing. It will be different but it will still grow.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com