Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
akiy

YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit

From the YouTube description: Master Ken explains why the ancient art of Aikido is inferior to his "Street Lethal" art of Ameri-Do-Te.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Re: YouTube: Aikido is Bullshit

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post

From the YouTube description: Master Ken explains why the ancient art of Aikido is inferior to his "Street Lethal" art of Ameri-Do-Te.

-- Jun
You beat me to it Jun.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

I was actually hoping for a good roasting. I don't think this anywhere near Enter the Dojo's best effort.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Cady Goldfield
United_States

It seems like "Master Ken" is trying to avoid actually insulting any art and is sticking to safe jokes. He is, after all, a humorist who spoofs the martial arts while being entertaining. But IMO he sacrifices some edgy humor that he's quite capable of, in favor of not offending anyone.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Malicat
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
It seems like "Master Ken" is trying to avoid actually insulting any art and is sticking to safe jokes. He is, after all, a humorist who spoofs the martial arts while being entertaining. But IMO he sacrifices some edgy humor that he's quite capable of, in favor of not offending anyone.
I do think the earlier stuff was much better. I read some background information and found out that a lot of what happened in the first season actually did happen to the actor when he moved out to New Mexico and tried to find a new dojo. I think part of the brilliance of the show was that it was partially based on things that actually happened, and now they've run out of the real life examples to use.

And yes, apparently the groin-grab sparring match was a real thing, and his partner was a woman.

--Ashley
Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Cady Goldfield
United_States

There's a 17-minute excerpt on Youtube of a live "Enter the Dojo" show that he did with most of his cast, at a martial arts expo in Las Vegas last year. It was a compilation of the material he used in his various episodes, with a little bit of all of his catch phrases and routines.

Taking a bunch of 7-minute mini-TV-shows and making a half-hour live stage show from them must not have been easy. There were funny bits, but it ran out of steam quickly and "Master Ken" paced around on the stage a lot, out of his element in a live production. Needs to make it flow better and get some fresh material mixed into the old favorite stuff. It reminded me of the old Saturday Night Live characters that were funny as 5-minute sketches but didn't carry over well to a full-length feature film.

Anyway, I think he could have been nastier to aikido... and all the other MAs too.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Malicat
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Anyway, I think he could have been nastier to aikido... and all the other MAs too.
I am suddenly reminded of something we say on the mat on a regular basis. "It hurts, but not really enough, you need to move *here* to make it... OWWW!" *followed by furious tapping* "Yes! Do it like that!"

--Ashley
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
I am suddenly reminded of something we say on the mat on a regular basis. "It hurts, but not really enough, you need to move *here* to make it... OWWW!" *followed by furious tapping* "Yes! Do it like that!"

--Ashley
And that's why it takes a special craziness to do aikido
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
BAP
Dojo: Union University Aikido
United_States

Here is yet another expert analysis of aikido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVO8NLb4AQ

Blair Presson
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
dps

Quote:
Blair Presson wrote: View Post
Here is yet another expert analysis of aikido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVO8NLb4AQ
That is so funny. Ki pouch .
Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
Adam Huss

United_States

I feel like the aikido one was the least offensive toward any martial art...which is surprising because its probably the least respected after ninjutsu. I have been wondering why its taken so long for him to do a piece on aikido. I think he's a traditional shotokan guy, but I can't remember - maybe he's an aikidoka as well, or has aikido friends and wasn't sure how to approach it.

His roast at the Black Belt HoF is pretty great.

The later seasons are still good, but I feel like the first season was the best.

My god, the comments after his "ninjutsu is bullshit" video came out. I think I saw people threaten to kill him a dozen times in just the first page of comments. People take themselves way too seriously.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!