Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 AM   #26
Cyrijl
wow...and people say i am sensitive...

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #27
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
ooop

i seem to have confused two people with similar names in a previous post on this thread. my apologies to both of you for thinking you were the same person....

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-18-2003, 02:23 AM   #28
mike lee
sensitive types

Quote:
That wasn't a diss. It was merely the trueth.
What's a "trueth?" (That you still haven't mastered third-grade English?)

The skin of the average poster on this forum is so thin that it could be marketed for coffee filters! Drip, drip, drip.

Suggestion: Grow some nuts and stop playing with Barbie dolls.

(Is this the kind of post you whiners love? )

Drop and give me 20!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:28 AM   #29
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Mike you sweetie, it's been too long since we had one of these from you - thanks, I've got that warm fuzzy feeling back
Old 03-18-2003, 04:00 AM   #30
mike lee
pie in the sky

Any guy named Happysod can spill a pint or two (or six or eight) with me anytime! In fact, I'll buy.

As for you other worms — don't be afraid to get your dresses dirty from doing a few dozen pushups now and then!

Five hundred sword cuts? I won't even ask.

Here's a tune: "Where have all the martial artists gone, long time ago. Where have all the martial artists gone, off doing Gracie Jujutsu ..."

Last edited by mike lee : 03-18-2003 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:36 AM   #31
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Jo, owed you more of an apology than I realised. In one of the posts showing as I type, I'd even missed off the quotation marks, sos, no wonder you got annoyed - hippie wierdos is one of my favorite phrases for our lot thanks to a particular karate dojo in Hull (oh the fun of youth and testosterone)

Mike, free beer for spilling sounds fine. If you're ever in London, look us up, I can promise you some terrible aikido (a sort of watership down meets night of the living dead), but decent beer. By the way, do you need a key change in the Gracie song?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #32
Qatana

nuts

oh hi Mike, lovely to meet you too.

Suggestion: Grow some nuts and stop playing with Barbie dolls.[/quote]
hmmm, are we speaking metaphorically or are you suggesting i grow some almonds?

the artists i work for might be interested in painting a hermaphrodite but i think my boyfriend might object

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #33
TheU2Fly

Dojo: Aikido Institute of Miami
Talking

i can feel the love on this forum
Old 03-19-2003, 02:32 AM   #34
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Re: sensitive types

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
What's a "trueth?" (That you still haven't mastered third-grade English?)

The skin of the average poster on this forum is so thin that it could be marketed for coffee filters! Drip, drip, drip.

Suggestion: Grow some nuts and stop playing with Barbie dolls.

(Is this the kind of post you whiners love? )

Drop and give me 20!
My point exactly! 1...2...3...4...grunt 5...6...7 huff puff 8... etc. to 20.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:33 AM   #35
drDalek

Wait a minute! You mean there are *serious* discussions going on on this forum?

I was subscribed to a little forum a while ago and let me tell you kids, nothing builds character and a thick skin (atleast for your interweb persona) like a regular roasting from a bunch of cynical lonely nerds.

Sometimes we all need to go through a kind of "boot camp" even sensitive artistic forum users like ourselves to know whats worth our time getting "badly disturbed" about and whats completely irrelevant. (hint: the internet and everything on it falls into the latter category)
Old 03-20-2003, 01:57 AM   #36
mike lee
tomboys

Quote:
hmmm, are we speaking metaphorically or are you suggesting i grow some almonds?
Metaphorically speaking, I'm crazy about women with nuts (read guts). My current heroine is Serena Williams. I also like Su Ri Pak a lot. She can be tenacious on the links.

Can't think of any South Afrikaners I really like. But I loved the way Nelson Mandela layed into Bush a couple of weeks ago.

Guts! Ja! I love it.

(Where have all the aikidoists gone, long time ago? Where have all the aikidoists gone; off to Gracie's dojo.)

Yes — there seems to be a key change there.

Thanks for the invite Happysod. Never been to Europe. I'd love to hit London and then Dublin someday. Then I'll probably need to head to the Mao Clinic for a liver transplant after enjoying all the great pubs over there!

I hope the rest of you learn your lesson soon — I hate to have to spell things out, although it probably wouldn't help anyway.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #37
ikkainogakusei
Talking Re: tomboys and red flags

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
I'd love to hit London and then Dublin someday. Then I'll probably need to head to the Mao Clinic for a liver transplant after enjoying all the great pubs over there!

I hope the rest of you learn your lesson soon — I hate to have to spell things out, although it probably wouldn't help anyway.
Okay so maybe this won't be funny to the rest of you, but when I first read this I read

M-a-o as in "Chairman" rather than Mayo as in the medical clinic. Being that you are from Taiwan Mike, I think you'd be taking some risks going to the Mao clinic. Maybe not, but keep the liver you've got just in case.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #38
cindy perkins
Dojo: AikiDog Dojo
Thin-skinned, sensitive, ego or whatever -- I think Jo has opened a good one here. The point is the use of every experience, including the forum, as an opportunity to practice aikido. Recognize the energy, harmonize with it, don't freeze or oppose it, let the harmful force go by you without letting it push you off balance, use what of it you can. Keep at it!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #39
Qatana

thanks Cindy, for Getting what i'm saying.

South Africa????

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 03-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #40
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Wynand van Dyk (drDalek) wrote:
I was subscribed to a little forum a while ago and let me tell you kids, nothing builds character and a thick skin (atleast for your interweb persona) like a regular roasting from a bunch of cynical lonely nerds.
True.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:59 PM   #41
DaveForis
Dojo: UW-L Aikido Club
Interesting. Very interesting.

Jo, you have my respect (even though brash people often annoy me (although that's because I'm the complete opposite, which can be considered an equal failing, so I'm learning to be a little more brash myself) and I fully admit that at some point in the future you may do so. ). It takes a lot of courage and effort to face down your demons and try to make you a better you. Most people do waste their lives throwing judgements onto others and decreeing what they should do. In my experience, there are two kinds of people, the people who look for flaws in the world that need to be fixed, and the people who look for flaws in themselves that need to be fixed. The former tend to create more chaos and strife (looks up at the thread, and everyone's postings. )

I think ya('ll) did pretty well. Hopefully next time you'll do even better. Keep up the good work.

Hmm. This has been a pretty good lesson in awareness too. Spiffy.

Doncha love it when those irate argument threads leave ya with a warm fuzzy feeling?

Behind every flaw in technique is a flaw in the mind or spirit
Old 03-22-2003, 12:28 AM   #42
mike lee
Mr. Above It All

Quote:
I think ya('ll) did pretty well. Hopefully next time you'll do even better. Keep up the good work.
Someday I wanna grow up to be just like you.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:18 AM   #43
Qatana

you Are just like me

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 03-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #44
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Obnoxious Personalities

Whether you are of the Aikido is a martial art or the Aikido is a spiritual Path camp (or you think it's both) shouldn't make any difference. People who go around and purposely cause **** wherever they go haven't understood a thing about what the point of training is.

No matter what your preferences for training are, Aikido training, or any other martial art or combat training for that matter, is not about making enemies. The person who has nothing better to do than to go around making enemies in order to get attention is pathetic. In a warrior society he'd be dead. The old adage that an armed society is a polite society is somewhat true. If every person you spoke with carried three feet of razor sharp steel or packed a hand gun you'd take quite a bit of care how you communicated with them.

As martial artists I think we should all communicate with each other as if we were in person and were armed. The consequences of letting a disagreement get out of hand in real life can be the destruction of a life. People who fancy themselves as serious about their Aikido training but indulge their aggressions while hiding behind the distance and the anonymity of the internet simply reveal that they have not trained seriously and not understood what they have done.

What is the point of reaching old age and realizing that you went through life alienating people. What kind of skill is that. These people end up isolated, disrespected, and ignored. They are very lonely people and should be pitied. There is simply no point in getting into fights with them. I will occasionally get sucked in myself when something really dumb is being put out but that is my own suki (opening) and I am working on how not to get sucked in like that.

There are several types of folks around. There are some who no matter what happens can remain gentlemen. Peter Goldsbury Sensei is my own idea of how one should deport himself. I use him as my model although I fall short oft times. These folks are few and far between.

There is the larger group of folks who are pretty civilized in their actions unless they perceive that they have been slighted and then they go into a feeding frenzy. They can not resist the need to respond in kind but don't usually initiate negative attacks.

Then there are the truly obnoxious few. These people have nothing better to do than cause trouble. They seek out the members of the larger group of "responders" and instigate. There is no purpose to their actions other than to stir things up. As with little children who are neglected they feel that even negative attention is better than no attention.

It is easy to do this on the internet. It would be harder to do this within a dojo or on the street. Eventually they'd find someone who was less than enlightened, someone who wouldn't feel like it was a personal failure to let someone this immature draw them out, and they'd get the punky beat out of them.

Training all comes down do developing a clear sense about who you want to be and then having the will to be that person. I can't imagine anyone choosing to be an obnoxious jerk so I have to assume that they have simply not paid attention to what they are doing. It's a lack of awareness; certainly a failure of training in my mind.

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 03-22-2003 at 10:37 AM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-22-2003, 06:23 PM   #45
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Excellent.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #46
akiy

Thank you, George, for your excellent thoughts.

I remember how George Simcox used to communicate on the Aikido-L mailing list. Regardless of how heated the discussion may have been, he always responded in a level-headed, mature, and positive manner.

I always try, very hard, to communicate on the Internet in the same manner as I would if I were talking to someone else "in person." I put "in person" in quotes since, in reality, I am talking to everyone here in person -- just on a website rather than face to face.

So, please, folks. When posting here, please keep in mind that the very first rule of the AikiWeb Forums is "Treat your fellow AikiWeb Forums members with respect." If you are unable to do so, please find another venue for your thoughts.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #47
mike lee
holier than thou

Quote:
Eventually they'd find someone who was less than enlightened, someone who wouldn't feel like it was a personal failure to let someone this immature draw them out, and they'd get the punky beat out of them.
So St. George — who would you like to beat the "punky" out of?
Old 03-23-2003, 12:03 AM   #48
mike lee
wannabes

Quote:
you Are just like me
In no way, shape or form.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:35 AM   #49
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Grain of salt

George that was well said. I too pity the people who need attention so badly they have to aggitate others to get it. I personally try to explain to the offencive person the consiquences of his demeenor, once. Unfortunatly this rarely helps and inevitably I begin to either take the person with a grain of salt or I ignore them all together.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 AM   #50
mike lee
garble

Quote:
I personally try to explain to the offencive (sic) person the consiquences of his demeenor (sic), once. Unfortunatly (sic)...
sdfs sdflksfi j sdffdf v dfdfdfdsfd sdffkvojdif sdfpfd!!!