Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #76
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Silk reeling

Japanese or Chinese, the basic principles in these things are related... but only if you understand the basic principles.

For instance, the guy in this video is doing Fune-kogi undo (second set of movements), suburi, sayu-undo, reeling-silk, etc., if you see through clear eyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP9Fo...eature=related

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #77
Gary David

United_States

Mike
Thanks for putting this up. I see nothing out of place for movements that could easily be Aikido if the understanding is there.
Gary
Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #78
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Mike
Thanks for putting this up. I see nothing out of place for movements that could easily be Aikido if the understanding is there.
Gary
There are so many obvious technical questions, Gary. But other than wanting directions to the Tao (which way?... I'll pay for a workshop; my twelfth this year), most people don't seem to have that much motivation to think out loud and work. Look at what Ikeda quietly did.

Until Aikido is regained by the hard-thinkers and practicers.....

Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #79
Jon Marshall
Dojo: Bath Aikido Society
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I do some Chen-style silk-reeling. I did have a little bit of quality instruction a few years ago, but basically I'm fumbling about on my own with the help of good ol' YouTube and the odd article.

After numerous dabblings, I've come to the rather obvious conclusion that the most effective exercises are the ones I can actually be bothered to do. And since I find the silk-reeling exercises to be profound and beautiful, I find my motivation to perform them is greater than with most other exercises.

On that note, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following quote from Akuzawa (who's highly respected exercises I have no experience of, and are, I think most people would agree, less elegant than silk-reeling):

Quote:
You have to put hard into your body. So by putting hard into your body, it creates pathways to make hard and soft. It becomes sand, gravel and water mixed together in you. What the Chen style guys do, against what I do, it doesn't work. Not against someone with a weird body like mine, not against seasoned fighters.
Full article here.

Akuzawa seems to be saying that his internal power is different from the Chen internal power developed, in part, through silk-reeling. Controversial.

I may not have internet access for a week, so apologies if I don't respond quickly to anyones responses.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #80
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

Hmmm if I remember some of the aftermath Rob and Tim had to amend what they said a bit as it was unclear if Ark had actually gotten hands on any of the big dogs in Chen taiji. Anyways, if this idea is still floated in Aunkai circles, I'd love to hear the logic behind it.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #81
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Jon Marshall wrote: View Post
On that note, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following quote from Akuzawa (who's highly respected exercises I have no experience of, and are, I think most people would agree, less elegant than silk-reeling):
IIRC we discussed that on AJ when it was published, but the general point was more that Akuzawa thinks his approach is more effective than softer, etc., approaches, including reeling silk... or that's the implication in the article. I don't think Akuzawa has any experience with the hard-core fighters from various Chinese styles, so I think he's just making a general statement/opinion; not meant to be trivializing. I.e., it's an opinion that could potentially make a good discussion about whether a 'hard' approach is better than a 'soft' approach.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman
Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #82
Jon Marshall
Dojo: Bath Aikido Society
United Kingdom

Ha, I might have guessed that the quoted comment had already been discussed somewhere online. Hopefully they'll be an Aunkai UK at some point and I will get a chance to compare the differences myself.

On the point of silk-reeling not being a key feature of aikido movement, surely it's relevant if, as uke, you decide to give a bit more resistance. Mike, I think you mentioned looking for it in the wrist exercises, so if an uke is competent silk-reeler, wouldn't it be all but automatic for them to relax and extend out of an attempted technique with a silk-reeling movement? After all, uke-ing is aikido too. Maybe they'd go back to "pulling-silk" immediately afterwards - an interesting distinction. Anyway, it's something that, at the risk of being perceived as awkward (again), I shall experiment with.

Regards,
Jon
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #83
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

Just wanted to point out something in the seminar notice that Thomas Campbell (OP) posted, which I don't think anyone has commented on, but may be of interest to those who don't think SRE can be helpful for aikido practice:

(quote)
"In the second session, held on July 31st 2011, instructed by Master Li Lairen, a small number of movements from Chen style Taijiquan forms will be taught and corrected in detail, including the silk reeling actions essential to those movements. Students will then work with a partner and be taught how to effectively apply those movements martially, including sparring, self-defense and joint locking (qin na). Although the second session builds upon what is learned in the first, students may attend either one of the two sessions or both."

For anyone who hasn't seen or done some qin na, the similarities to many of the joint locks/techiques in aikido are fairly evident. So continuity in the spectrum of training from SRE----> qin na ----> aikido, or maybe better yet SRE---> qin na <---> aikido is worth exploring.

Standard disclaimer IMHO.

John
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #84
John Brockington
Dojo: Retsushinkan/Birmingham, AL
United_States

Correction- that seminar quote was from post #51 (author Thomas Campbell), not OP. Sorry, got distracted.

John