Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
My first TSYR session

So I have been intrigued in the IT/IP discussions for a while now and have been looking for a group near me that might be doing this stuff. As it turns out a TSYR group trains in the same city I work in. I contacted the instructor and went along to their Saturday morning training session to check it out.

Now, I thought I moved my body as a unit.
I thought I knew what 'centered' meant.
I thought I knew what 'grounded' meant.

These people showed me a whole new level to this stuff. Now, I know what people mean when they say 'it has to be felt'.
These people moved in such a relaxed way but were immovable at the same time. I felt like an uncoordinated thug (even after 8 years of reasonable aikido training behind me).

The conditioning they do at the start of training has left my body feeling like it has been flattened by a giant rolling pin (especially my legs). I spent a lot of the time fighting with my own body as I tried to do the exercises using old muscle habits.

My brain is mush from trying to work out how to reset my body.

On top of all this the instructor said Toby Threadgill is on another level again! Holy s**t!

I will be training again next week!

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: My first TSYR session

Quote:
Dean Suter wrote: View Post
On top of all this the instructor said Toby Threadgill is on another level again! Holy s**t!

I will be training again next week!
Great, Dean! I've only begun to realize what a resource Toby Threadgill is. He's a lot closer to me than to you, and I've never met him. Is that stupid, or what?

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 02-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
SeiserL

United_States

I have been honored to train with Threadgill Sensei many times.

Always a great mind/body-boggling experience.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Eric Winters
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro and Berkeley
United_States

Hello,

I have trained with him and his students for a while now and TSYR has really changed how i approach what I am doing in aikido. Have fun and don't get discouraged, it is great stuff and a lot of fun.

Best,

Eric
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hello Dean,

I'm glad you enjoyed your exposure to TSYR. If you don't know how lucky you are to live in Hamilton, NZ and have access to a world class budoka like Robbie Smith, let me enlighten you. Robbie is one of the most talented martial artists I've ever met, and as you've probably noticed, one of the nicest human beings you'll ever have the pleasure of knowing. Such phenomenal talent, dedication, character, and instructional ability seldom manifest itself in one individual. All of us in TSYR were extremely pleased to have Robbie Smith added to our already amazing roster of talented budoka.

Good luck with your training and I hope to meet you in Hamilton later this year.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

http://www.shinyokai.com/Dojos_YoshinWadokan.htm
Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Amassus

New Zealand

Quote:
Toby Threadgill wrote: View Post
Hello Dean,

I'm glad you enjoyed your exposure to TSYR. If you don't know how lucky you are to live in Hamilton, NZ and have access to a world class budoka like Robbie Smith, let me enlighten you. Robbie is one of the most talented martial artists I've ever met, and as you've probably noticed, one of the nicest human beings you'll ever have the pleasure of knowing. Such phenomenal talent, dedication, character, and instructional ability seldom manifest itself in one individual. All of us in TSYR were extremely pleased to have Robbie Smith added to our already amazing roster of talented budoka.

Good luck with your training and I hope to meet you in Hamilton later this year.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

http://www.shinyokai.com/Dojos_YoshinWadokan.htm
I am extremely excited about my introduction to TSYR, Toby. I never thought I would be able to practice a koryu in NZ. Robbie mentioned that some aikidoka feel that TSYR is too violent for them. However, I felt it fulfilled something I had been missing in my training. Of course, I have only trained once thus far but the intensity and exactness of the instruction has left me very interested in learning more. For instance, in that session we were working on taijutsu, only one part of a large curriculum.
I realize I'm on a probationary period and at the threshold of an extremely long road so for now I will take each training session as at it comes.
The confusion and clumsiness I felt on that day took me back to my first few training sessions of aikido. I hate to think how I would have gone if I didn't have the aikido training behind me. (the ukemi skills were priceless)

I very much hope that I will be attending your seminar come December. Truly a highlight in my martial arts calender.

Thank you for the words of encouragement and it is good to know that I am studying under an exceptional teacher as well.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Amassus

New Zealand

Quote:
Great, Dean! I've only begun to realize what a resource Toby Threadgill is. He's a lot closer to me than to you, and I've never met him. Is that stupid, or what?

Best to you.

David
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's like when tourists know more about your own country than you do as a local. Sometimes we think, just because something is close we will get round to seeing it but never do. Also, I have never actually met Toby Threadgill. I have only just (one practice session) started TSYR through one of his instructors, so, you know. I know nothing really

Lynn and Eric, thanks for endorsing what appears to be a quality learning experience and exceptional insight into koryu.

It looks like I will continue to train in both aikido and TSYR for the time being. I'm cautiously working through the work/family/martial arts balance.

Dean.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Dean,

I hope you and yours are well in the aftermath of the earthquakes.

Best to all.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com