Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Shinkage-ryu

Hi!

I am looking for some advice/help. I have just discovered a branch of Shinkageryu Shoden Kamiizumi Kai somewhat near my house.

Here is the main website. http://www.sinkageryu.jp/

Does anyone have any info on this school? I have been reading up on Shinkage-ryu on the Internet and in the Koryu related books I have. I have not found any specific info other than what the school puts up on its own website.

A more general question is, how can one research legitimacy claims of koryu schools? Any info on resources would be appreciated. I have looked at the Skoss` website and do own their Koryu Bujutsu books. I read Japanese, so resources in Japanese would be fine.

One more question. When I go take a look at the training, what should I look for and ask about?

Thanks so much,
Charles
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Ellis Amdur

Re: Shinkage-ryu

That one's easy. Send an inquiry to Meik Skoss at Koryu books (or Dave Hall, who is located in the Washington, D.C. area), both being senior members of the Yagyu family Shinkage-ryu. Put in the link to the website, and either one of them can place the group exactly in the scheme of things.
Best
Ellis Amdur

Last edited by Ellis Amdur : 02-01-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
Josh Reyer

Japan

This school is an off-shoot of the Marobashikai. The Marobashikai is headed by Watanabe Tadashige. Watanabe Tadashige's father, Tadatoshi, was a student of the 20th soke, Yagyu Toshinaga. I do not know how qualified the teachers of the Kamiizumi-kai are. To me, one yellow flag is that the teacher of neither dojo is mentioned, nor their level of attainment and/or years of training with what Sensei. They also take some potshots at the line I practice, but, well, that's budo for you.

For reference, here's the Marobashi-kai in New York. The last kata they do is actually the old Kamiizumi-era Sangaku, so a good example of what the Kamiizumi-kai will be practicing.

Here's the mainline, and here's an older offshoot of the mainline for comparison.

As for legitimacy, any legitimate group should be completely happy to share their lineage. Once you've established that, the best thing I can recommend is to view various schools, or lines within schools, and find the one that impresses you most, be that the atmosphere of the dojo, the technique, or the style.

Also, you can check the home page of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai or contact the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai. Membership in these organizations doesn't mean one is any good, nor does non-membership mean that something is not legitimate, but it's a place to start.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
Charles Hill

Thanks Ellis and Josh for your replies. I have just sent my question to Mr. Skoss.

Josh, the videos you linked were interesting, I learned a lot.

The Nihon Kobudo Kyokai website was good, too. I found that the honbu for Ellis` Todaha ryu is in the nearest big city to me. Still a bit too far for me, being married with a kid and a job.

Charles
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Charles Hill

I received a very quick reply from Meik Skoss. It was comprehensive and very helpful. Mr. Skoss is definitely a great source of information.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Josh Reyer

Japan

What did Meik say? Feel free to PM me if you feel it'd be inappropriate for an open board.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer