Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Training with Multiple Myeloma

Onegaishimasu, as I have been diagnosed with being at an intermediate stage of Multiple Myeloma, I would like to hear about others who are teaching and training regarding this disease. I am nearly 62 with 30+ years of aikido practice and have been running a dojo for 22 years. To date, I am still able to roll and do a little bit of suwari waza. I am listening to my body and surprises are appearing here and there. Since broken bones have always been something I have rarely had to contend with, I would like to hear of the experiences of others. I welcome a good discussion.
In gassho,
Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 02-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
Re: Training with Multiple Myeloma

Hi Mark,

sorry to hear about you diagnosis.

My father trained for 10 years with terminal prostate cancer which had multiple secondaries throughout his body (so different but similar). He basically did what he could and we all tried to take over when he needed us to. In his latter days he adopted a policy of observing from the side of the mat and offering "constructive criticism".

It was hard for him to step back but ultimately good for us all as we could prepare a new generation of teachers under his guidance; perhaps this is something you could consider; setting up an active programme to pass on your experience and accumulated wisdom.

Good luck for the future.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Derek

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan (AWA)
United_States
Re: Training with Multiple Myeloma

Mark,

Multiple myeloma does carry some unique issues for training. The high protein levels that occur with this disease can impair clotting and the tumors cells do have an affinity for the bone. Bruising, bleeding and fragile bone can be a real concern. I would think that you would be able to train, but constraints will be needed at least some of the time. Especially when clotting is an issue, ukemi can be risky.

Continue to listen to your body and I would think you would be able to train, but you may need your ukes to be cognizant of the ferocity of the attack (don't grab too hard) and limit the ukemi.

Good luck to you!

Derek Duval
Godan