Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Demetrius Salter
Question Tips for newcomer???

Hi,

I am seriously considering beginning training in Aikido, but I have a couple of questions maybe someone could help me with. First off I'm not in this to learn to fight, but as far as self defense is concerned how practical is aikido. Secondly, I have some reservations about falling. I'm not afraid to fall, but at the same time I want to be able to fall correctly to prevent injuries. Is this something the instructors would teach, or do you have to pick it up on your own. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Demetrius
Old 06-08-2003, 09:06 PM   #2
Eric Garcia
Dojo: Texas Tech Aikido Club, Aikido of Midland
United_States
I started aikido about 9 months ago and I love it. I encourage you just to at least attend a couple classes if you have not done so already.

I am a beginner and from what I have seen Aikido's techniques are very pratical. Many people will say "Well this art is better than aikido for self defence." They may be right but I will say Aikido is very powerful and anyone who says Aikido is not pratical for self defence is insane. When I began Aikido, it seemed to me that I would never be able to use this "stuff" if I were to ever get into a fight. The more I became familiar with the techniques and Aikido itself, I began to see how things could be easliy adapted to "real" fighting.

Sure Aikido has some downfalls when compared to other martial arts, but many of us who study Aikido dont study it to "be able to beat the snot out of someone".

Ukemi or falling will be taught to you by your instructor. Many of the falls done in Aikido are very dangerous if not executed properly. Once you have learned to fall properly its like riding a bike, it comes naturally. (Heh, my Sensei can tell you sometimes your brain freezes and you forget--As was the case that happened to me a week ago.) There is nothing to worry about concerning falling. Its very painless and looks really cool.

I hope that from my rambling you heard something that might be of use to you.

-Eric

Sensei: John Riggs

P.S. I did this really fast so please ignore my grammer/spelling mistakes
Old 06-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Welcome. I hope that you decide to persue Aikido. If you don't want to fight and yet want to be able to practically defend yourself, then Aikido may just be the thing for you.

As for falling, that should be one of the first things that you learn and one of the things you drill the most. It looks kinda scary at first but once you learn the techniques involved, the "monster" looses his "teeth" fairly quickly.

We use the word Ukemi to describe the process of learning to hit the floor with minimal risk of injury. It is a huge part of Aikido and you should receive detailed instruction in it throughout your study of Aiki. It is the skill that allows us to practice our art for many years and still be reasonably healthy.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:49 PM   #4
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
hey Demetrius.....check out a few classes, you will love it!

As the other poster's have said falling is a major part of training. (roughly half)

But there is a very satisfying aspect to taking techniques well for someone elses education.

Good luck .......there are several schools in Lubbock, so I hope you find one that suits you. there is a dojo search feature on this site, so check it out to see what all dojo's are available.

( or come down to Midland and work with us! )

Lan Powers

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:59 PM   #5
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
This is turning into a West Texas thread, so I felt obligated to post...

If you've ever done a martial art before, the falling in aikido is quite unique. I just switched over from hapkido a few weeks ago and the falls I learned for hapkido techniques don't go over so smoothly when taking aikido ukemi (falling) from aikido techniques. But Riggs Sensei taught me how to roll backwards correctly with just a few sentences, so it can be done! Also, I injured my toe pretty bad last week...so be careful, be in control when you fall, injuries are possible and minor ones are pretty common.

Mostly aikido is tons of fun. Best of luck.

Clayton
Old 06-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Hi there Texas folks!

Completely pointless post, but wanted to say that I'm looking to visit Texas (but more Houston/Sugarland area), so thought I'd say Hi, nonetheless

-D.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #7
Demetrius Salter
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. Hopefully my next post will be telling you guys that I've started.