Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Straight from bed......

Ok, so now that the issue of whether to think or not is out of the way, any more explanations on the use of cold water misogi rituals and how they contribute to ki/jin/kokyu skills?

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #27
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Ok, so now that the issue of whether to think or not is out of the way, any more explanations on the use of cold water misogi rituals and how they contribute to ki/jin/kokyu skills?

Best,
Ron
Heat causes expansion, cold contracts.

Heat in electronics reduces resistance, cold increases it.

Maybe the cold is bringing all your energy inside and into a compact, focused place. Then, when you get warmed up from training, that internal energy is released with a lack of resistance.

Hence, you focus your ki with the cold and at practice it translates to jin without resistance and brings an effect of kokyu skills.

Or I'm just blathering away because I have no clue. (Yes, folks, it's this answer)

Seriously, Ron. I don't have a clue. I haven't done any cold water misogi. If you find an answer, though, I am curious.

Mark
Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #28
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
To a freezing cold bathtub. Yep, I guess you could say Im insane. Actually, I've been reading a book by Ki Soceities founder Koichi Tohei.

"Every morning I would leap up as soon as I awakened, run to the bathroom, and dash two or three buckets of cold water over my head and body"

"The cold water baths were the first opportunity. My ki became positive, and plus called forth more plus."

Well, it sucked, but hey, IT'S GOOD FOR ME. Ive just been sitting on here since then though, hehehehe.
Koichi Tohei suffered from pleurisy. Upon his recovery, most formal methods of self-improvement were too strenuous for him. Dousing himself with several buckets of water was the first practice he did after recovery.

Dousing yourself with buckets of cold water is a misogi (spiritual cleansing) technique. Since a bucket is traditionally an English gallon, you can use any container that is handy. I find it refreshing after a quick shower.

Putting yourself in a cold bath tub is more like river misogi. There the participants immerse themselves up to their chest in a cold river. This is traditionally done around New Year's Day.

In the Ki Society if people are doing river misogi for the first time, they are usually shown how to keep one point before going in the water . By relaxing they are able to stop shivering and chattering teeth. It makes the experience an exercise in mind/body coordination, rather than masochism.

How does this relate to ki development? Challenging the body by using one's mind is a standard way to develop ki, or one's focus and awareness.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Koichi Tohei suffered from pleurisy. Upon his recovery, most formal methods of self-improvement were too strenuous for him. Dousing himself with several buckets of water was the first practice he did after recovery.

Dousing yourself with buckets of cold water is a misogi (spiritual cleansing) technique. Since a bucket is traditionally an English gallon, you can use any container that is handy. I find it refreshing after a quick shower.

Putting yourself in a cold bath tub is more like river misogi. There the participants immerse themselves up to their chest in a cold river. This is traditionally done around New Year's Day.

In the Ki Society if people are doing river misogi for the first time, they are usually shown how to keep one point before going in the water . By relaxing they are able to stop shivering and chattering teeth. It makes the experience an exercise in mind/body coordination, rather than masochism.

How does this relate to ki development? Challenging the body by using one's mind is a standard way to develop ki, or one's focus and awareness.

Ted, I have to thank you for the link in yor sig, as I someday plan on being a student of the Ki Soceity.

Im on chapter 3 of the manual for training with Ki, and a so called cheat sheet of secrets for Aikdo training. Im guessing those are just little tips that can have a major impact on the effectivness of a technique, or some kind of training.

cheerio

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #30
Keith Gotschall
Dojo: Yama Dojo
United_States

Hi yall, I have been doing river misogi since I was in high school, some 26 years ago. I didn't know it then of course, I just thought I was jumping in a river! Why I started doing it, who knows? but it has become a New Years day ritual that I have observed ever since. Always seemed like a good way to start the year, wash away the bad and begin afresh. Over the years I have noticed several things about the extreme cold. (a quick aside, many times the air temp has been practically balmy, but I have jumped into a "borrowed" hole that had been chainsawed clear of about 8 inches of ice.) The obvious being, it's stinking cold! and any hangover you might have is instantly cut through. but more profoundly, you can relax into the cold and stop the shivering. RELAX, and it is not so bad. As you get out of the water, that is when the comedy takes over as you try to get back into your clothes while wet and numb. However, very soon after getting out, an amazing deep warmth and sense of well being seems to pervade, coming from your core. Spooky cause or simple survival reaction from the body, I don't know. It is definitely there. I just started Aikido in Feb. and just as with most of you out there, it has taken over a large part of my life. So next Jan. 1, there will no doubt be a new facet to the ritual. Less hooting and splashing, more one point!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #31
Mike Hamer

United_States

yes yes, I plan on making next years start my first time with river misogi.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #32
Keith Gotschall
Dojo: Yama Dojo
United_States

Good for you Mike, are you close to one of the big lakes? many places will have a "polar bear" club. I've never been one for those kind of things, but others find the camaraderie helpful, not to mention the portable hot tub that they sometimes arrange for the apre' plunge! I have preferred to find an isolated creek pool that stays clear of ice. Then head out for breakfast and bloody marys!
Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #33
Mike Hamer

United_States

Well....I live in the middle of Michigan, so Im definitly near some lakes....I'll have to find someone to go with me...maybe some people from Aikido?

Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #34
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I was just back in southwestern Michigan-I do miss those lakes. In West TX you have to drive at least two hours to see water.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:50 AM   #35
Mike Hamer

United_States

Michigan has it's lakes....thats about it though im afraid..

Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #36
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Mikel Hamer wrote:
Ted, I have to thank you for the link in yor sig, as I someday plan on being a student of the Ki Soceity.

Im on chapter 3 of the manual for training with Ki, and a so called cheat sheet of secrets for Aikdo training. Im guessing those are just little tips that can have a major impact on the effectivness of a technique, or some kind of training.

cheerio
If you're interested in "The Secrets of Aikido", why not look at the New Jersey Ki Society Training Manual of the same title? You can find it by clicking here! Then click on the hyperlinked index towards the bottom of the page.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #37
Mike Hamer

United_States

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
If you're interested in "The Secrets of Aikido", why not look at the New Jersey Ki Society Training Manual of the same title? You can find it by clicking here! Then click on the hyperlinked index towards the bottom of the page.

Thanks, im on chapter 4. I wish that there was a dojo near my area.