Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Nathan Scott

Dojo: Nichigetsukan Dojo: 9 West Woodward Avenue, Alhambra CA 91801
United_States
"Transparent Power" (Sagawa Yukiyoshi) book translated

Hi all,

For those who haven't heard yet, Kimura Tatsuo Sensei's book (Tomei na Chikara) about his teacher Sagawa Yukiyoshi Sohan has been translated into English, and will be available within a month or two:

http://transparentpower.com/

Quote:
"Bujutsu is not something that you'll necessarily become good at after a number of years, nor is anyone else going to make you strong. You must tell yourself that you will never allow anyone to defeat you; then you must back up that conviction with training. It won't do any good to simply repeat the forms of the techniques. They should be steeled with your intention to defeat your opponent. Ultimately, it boils down to a battle between souls. This is true no matter what you do. No matter how much a fainthearted person practices, when push comes to shove, he's completely helpless. When it comes to actual combat, it's a matter of cutting or being cut. If you're timid you'll be cut right from the get-go." - Sagawa Yukiyoshi
This translation was requested and authorized by the author.

The Japanese edition was published in 1995, and went into its 10th printing in 2004. It has been a best-seller in Japan for many years. I've read the book very carefully, and highly recommend it to anyone training in Japanese martial arts. Though it centers on Daito-ryu, much of what is talked about is training experiences and tips on becoming a better martial artist. Though it is not a technical manual (how-to book), there are also many valuable hints towards developing practical ability in aiki, as well as invaluable historical information about Daito-ryu and Aikido. As far as Aikido specifically goes, there is a fair amount of text about Ueshiba Sensei that has not been published in English before.

I'm really not exaggerating - it is a must read.

I'll post back to this thread when it has been released for sale. BTW, I'm not the publisher or a seller, and am not making any money off this. My purpose for posting this information is because the book is being privately published, and I believe there are many here who would appreciate knowing of its existence.

Regards,

Nathan Scott
Nichigetsukai
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: "Transparent Power" (Sagawa Yukiyoshi) book translated

Thanks Sensei Scott! I am going to buy it as soon as it's availible.

Long time no see Hopefully I'll bump into you one of these days or with your permission pay the Dojo another visit.

William Hazen
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
Nathan Scott wrote: View Post
...there are also many valuable hints towards developing practical ability in aiki, as well as invaluable historical information about Daito-ryu and Aikido. As far as Aikido specifically goes, there is a fair amount of text about Ueshiba Sensei that has not been published in English before.
Hi Nathan,
Would you be so kind as to post one or two excerpts in reference to the the above?

Thanks.

Ignatius
Old 05-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I'll be looking out for this one. Thanks for the heads up!
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Looking out for this one here!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Nathan Scott

United_States

Hi William,

Good to hear from you. You're always welcome at my place - just give me a call and give me a heads up.

Here are a couple more quotes, though they are probably not verbatim with that of the phrasing used in the upcoming edition.

This quote was written by the author in 1995, translated from the original Japanese edition preface:

Quote:
"On the other hand, Sagawa Yukiyoshi Sensei, Shihan of Daito-ryu Aiki Bujutsu, allows several of us students – all of whom have trained for several decades – to realistically attack him, suddenly and simultaneously. Sagawa Sensei is consistently able to blow us off and throw us down in the blink of an eye. Sagawa Sensei is now over ninety-two years old, but the sharpness and strength of his techniques have not declined, and this fact can only be described as unbelievably astonishing.
Ability such as this becomes possible through the use of an inner technique of the body that renders the opponent powerless ( aiki 合気 ).
Aiki is an instantaneous technique that causes the opponent to completely lose their ability to function, which, in turn, causes them to lose their ability to resist. By utilizing this transparent power, one can then apply any number of techniques freely."
Sagawa Sensei called this "transparent power" Tomei na Chikara in Japanese. Obviously, at this time Sagawa Sensei was still alive. One of the biggest benefits of this book being written (as the author notes), is that Sagawa Sensei was available to carefully read, correct, and advise the author on the content of his text. This is the only book to my knowledge that he "endorsed", and had a hand in contributing to.

This is a story as told by Sagawa Sensei (retold by the author) regarding Ueshiba Sensei's first encounter with Sokaku:

Quote:
"Sagawa’s father taught Ueshiba Morihei, who later became the founder of aikido. In February of 1915 (Taisho 4), Yoshida Kotaro, who taught Daito-ryu to the founder of Kyokushin Karate, Oyama Masutatsu, brought Ueshiba Morihei to the Hisada Inn in Engaru to meet Takeda Sokaku. Coincidentally, at that time Sagawa’s father happened to be teaching Daito-ryu there as a kyoju dairi.
Since Ueshiba Morihei had already studied various jujutsu arts, he had a lot of confidence, and behaved arrogantly saying things like “What?! He is just a country bumpkin of a martial artist!” As a result, Mr. Ueshiba was thrown about for some time by Takeda Sokaku, who applied a variety of techniques, including “kime-waza” (a kind of technique in which the opponent is immobilized, and which is often very painful). Afterwards, Mr. Ueshiba was over in a corner of the dojo shedding tears.
Takeda Sokaku used to talk about how “Ueshiba shed the tears of wild geese.” * But in any case, through this experience Ueshiba understood the real power of Takeda Sokaku and became devoted to his art.
Ueshiba Morihei would often come from Shirataki to Yubetsu to buy miso and rice at Sagawa Nenokichi’s store. Since the railway of the time only extended as far as Nayoro, goods and supplies had to be shipped by boat to the harbor town of Yubetsu in the summer time months (the sea was deeply frozen during the winter time). Therefore, before meeting Takeda Sokaku, Ueshiba and Sagawa’s father already knew each other very well.

* “Tears of wild geese” is a direct translation of “gan no namida” ( 雁の涙 ). The author asked Sagawa Sensei what this means, and he replied, “I’m not sure, but perhaps it comes from the image of a flock of wild geese flying across the sky, lined up in single file, or, flying in a “V” formation. In any regard, Takeda Sensei often used this expression.”
I also spent some time trying to figure out where this analogy might have come from, and concluded that it is likely drawn from animated cartoons (manga and anime), in which children are sometimes rendered with upside-down "V" shapes of tears pouring out of each eye. This type of rendering is used to denote someone bawling their eyes out (the tears come out so hard they almost spray out in an upside down V shape), as opposed to that of just sniffling or lightly weeping. I figure, even though Sokaku was illiterate, that doesn't mean he couldn't have been exposed to comics. When you can't read, pictures are about all you have to look at.

I realize this story does not come off as completely flattering in regards to Ueshiba Sensei, but it is interesting, and also helps explain what it was that caused Ueshiba Sensei to follow Sokaku so seriously, and to later base his own art almost exclusively off of.

Regards,

Last edited by Nathan Scott : 05-14-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Nathan Scott
Nichigetsukai
Old 05-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
eyrie

Australia

Thanks for the excerpts Nathan... much obliged.

Ignatius
Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

I am curious as to how this translation compares to other existing english translations written by those with knowledge of internal skills. I guess I will have to pick up a copy at some point and compare it to the original.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
thisisnotreal

Transparent Power

Hi Guys,
What does the cover design mean to you?
It's beautiful. Thinking elegance of construction..
Best,
Josh
Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
DH
United_States

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I am curious as to how this translation compares to other existing english translations written by those with knowledge of internal skills. I guess I will have to pick up a copy at some point and compare it to the original.
Well you had the one fellow we both know who is Japanese and American and is a translator by trade. Hmm....I have about a hundred pages of it in English. I don't think there is much of anything there to help anyone with anything. It's a curiosity at best, self serving at worst. There is enough said to create useless debates for a long time to come.
The one thing of merit is he is yet another one telling people you need to steal it and that there is and was solo training-in his view extraordinary solo training- in order to really "get it." And so what..therein lies much of the debate.
Everybody talks,,train, and then go touch people. Then you'll know. As you well know, most simply cannot deliver much of anything you won't find everywhere else.
Cheers
Dan
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Nathan Scott

United_States

The subdued Japanese characters printed vertically down the center say "Tomei na Chikara" (Transparent Power). I'm not sure what the significance of the wings are (I didn't find anything in the book that hinted towards a meaning), but the center design is based off the original design of the Japanese edition:

As far as "which translation" to go by, it seems kind of obvious to me. "Requested and authorized by the author" means that the translators had a chance to clarify difficult passages with the author directly, and the author further had a chance to proof read the translation for accuracy. The bootleg version may (or may not) be good, but in my experience there is no substitute for having access to the author when translating.

The Japanese language is vague in nature. In person, a clear understanding can be obtained through experiencing the context and feeling directly. However, amateur Japanese writers tend to write the same way they talk, which means without that direct interaction, you are left with a vague text in Japanese that can be really tough to identify the specific intended meanings of.

Anyway, decide for yourself. I just wanted to let others know that it will be available soon because myself and others I know have gained some validation in regards to our own training methods, if not valuable perspective on martial arts training in general, from reading it.

I know it sounds a bit like a sales pitch, but feel free to call me on it if you think I'm wrong once you've read the book!

Regards,

Nathan Scott
Nichigetsukai
Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
Rennis Buchner
Japan

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
I've read the original and, considering how Kimura writes in Japanese, I suspect who translated it will not matter all that much (provided they have proper translation skills) as there isn't all that much to "read between the lines" with in this book (one thing Kimura is not is "vague" in his writing style, something which a number of native speakers have also commented on to me). It's a great book of course, but if you are looking for a book loaded with tips on how to "get it", you probably won't find much. A rather large chunk of it is listing various people who trained with Sagawa and lots of stories about various famous aiki-types and Sagawa's interaction with them (not to mention a number of not so subtle slams for various people). Sagawa was a man of strong opinions and it's refreshing that he doesn't pull many punches. It makes the book interesting stuff from a historical point of view, not so much from a "learning the art" point of view outside of confirmation that you need to be singlemindedly insane on trying to improve.

Random thoughts,
Rennis Buchner
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Everybody talks,,train, and then go touch people. Then you'll know.
One touch (atemi, hold) is worth a thousand words.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Rennis Buchner wrote: View Post
t you need to be singlemindedly insane on trying to improve.

Random thoughts,
Rennis Buchner
It's a real question, in my mind, as to what represents single-minded insanity: focusing exhaustively and perseveringly on the sort of body-skill tanren discussed in depth on this forum over the past couple of years . . . or continuing with the prevailing training paradigm that yields rather lesser results despite years and thousands of hours of repeating the same tame thing.

One other point to note (again) about the new authorized translationL if I understood Nathan Scott correctly, there is new material in it that was not in the previous Japanese-language edition (from 1995). Again, the new material is anecdote and opinion, not how-to . . . but some may draw inspiration from it. And in any event the indispensable factor of hands-on training in the type of skills that Sagawa talks about make it foolish to look to any book for technical progress in his methods of training.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
HL1978
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Well you had the one fellow we both know who is Japanese and American and is a translator by trade. Hmm....I have about a hundred pages of it in English. I don't think there is much of anything there to help anyone with anything. It's a curiosity at best, self serving at worst. There is enough said to create useless debates for a long time to come.
The one thing of merit is he is yet another one telling people you need to steal it and that there is and was solo training-in his view extraordinary solo training- in order to really "get it." And so what..therein lies much of the debate.
Everybody talks,,train, and then go touch people. Then you'll know. As you well know, most simply cannot deliver much of anything you won't find everywhere else.
Cheers
Dan
Hey Dan,

I bought a japanese copy a couple years ago and read it, and I agree, it is certainly not a how to book, but, like you said it stresses the need for solo training, and makes it clear that a body built in Sagawa's manner is not a normal body.

The reason I made the above comment was I was wondering more along the lines of included translator notes, to help someone understand what exactly the skill is that is being referred too. Given the amount of discussion here and elsewhere about that skillset and lack of a common language......

Heck, if you haven't actually felt this sort if thing, you might not understand what the "clear power" of the title actualy means.

Last edited by HL1978 : 05-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Knowing the publishers and something of the process that has been gone through (re translator, access to Kimura sensei, review process including new parts), I am looking forward very much to the published book.

There are a couple of articles on AikidoJournal.com regarding Kimura sensei which suggest that one needs to experience for oneself what "aiki" is.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
HL1978
United_States

I did a quick read through of the book again over the weekend and Sagawa does make some mention of not using the shoulders.

That is a pretty big hint right there.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Nathan Scott

United_States

The publisher is now accepting advance pre-orders of the book. The link can be found at the top of the transparent power link in my first post, or directly here:

Advance Orders

I've heard from a friend of mine that he had system trouble completing the pre-order. I'm passing that info on to the publisher, so if for some reason you are unable to complete your order hang tight.

Also, the publisher will be offering dojo discounts for multiple purchases on a case-by-case basis (contact the publisher for more on this when the book hits general release).

I'll post further updates here as I hear of them.

Regards,

Nathan Scott
Nichigetsukai
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #19
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

FYI, when I was ordering the other day, the final "submit order" button didn't work, but I was able to complete the transaction using the return key on my keyboard.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

The complete order process worked fine for me today.

Greg
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #21
Nathan Scott

United_States
Exclamation The book is in!

Hi all,

The publisher has advised me the book is officially available now, and the advance orders those of you may have placed have already been shipped!

The book is currently available directly from the publisher only at this time. Apparently it will take about two weeks for the book to be available from amazon.com, and I believe budovideos.com will be carrying it soon as well.

Feel free to post your impressions of the book here if you feel inclined.

Enjoy,

Nathan Scott

"There are people who make a profession out of selling the arts. They treat themselves as articles of merchandise and produce objects with a view to selling them ... Someone who might want to learn such a way with the goal of making money should keep in mind the saying, Strategy inadequately learned is the cause of serious wounds."

- Miyamoto Musashi, 1645 (Gorin no Sho)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Thomas Campbell

The translation is excellent--both for accuracy (so I've been advised) and for flow in English. Contrary to some characterizations of the book, it's not just self-serving aphorisms (although they are in there). I think it's a worthwhile read, and congratulate the publishers and the translators (which initially included Nathan Scott) for their diligence and fine work.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #23
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: The book is in!

Quote:
Nathan Scott wrote: View Post
Hi all,

The publisher has advised me the book is officially available now, and the advance orders those of you may have placed have already been shipped!

The book is currently available directly from the publisher only at this time. Apparently it will take about two weeks for the book to be available from amazon.com, and I believe budovideos.com will be carrying it soon as well.

Feel free to post your impressions of the book here if you feel inclined.

Enjoy,

Nathan Scott

"There are people who make a profession out of selling the arts. They treat themselves as articles of merchandise and produce objects with a view to selling them ... Someone who might want to learn such a way with the goal of making money should keep in mind the saying, Strategy inadequately learned is the cause of serious wounds."

- Miyamoto Musashi, 1645 (Gorin no Sho)
I got my copy yesterday...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #24
gdandscompserv

United_States

Eagerly awaiting my copy!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #25
Taras Omelchenko
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Towa dojo
Ukraine

I read the book in Japanese too last year and I do respect Sagawa Sensei and Mr. Kimura (whose other book I also ordered from Amazon Japan later the same year).
Yet I've been wondering if we'll ever be able to transcend the mysticism beyond aiki? Aiki is what aiki is or would be, right? If such a thing exists it does exist within its quite normal relevant range,or, to put it more plainly, there shouldn't be anything exceptional about it. Even if it's something not everyone will understand it is still a natural, normal and regular phenomenon.
I'm quite happy with Shioda Sensei's straight line, concentration (shuchuryoku), kokyuryoku, etc. It's plain and simple (user-friendly ) and it works just as it should.
I guess Sokaku Takeda Sensei was really the one who understood aiki of his family ryu, all the other respected Sensei did some great research but I doubt that aiki should be mystified to the point it is now. It's still within the laws of this same old Universe
...BTW the stories about all those relations and interactions between various Sensei are definitely interesting. Oos!