Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Question British 8th dan?

Hi,

I have read in a Martial Arts forum about the amazing features of a british Aikido Shihan -8th dan-.

However, his name hasn't been posted, and googleing the web i haven't found any 8th dan british Aikido Master.

By his description, this gentleman is about 70 years old and seems to be one of Abbe Sensei students.

Any idea about his name?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
Richard Cardwell
Dojo: Belfast Aikido Circle
Re: British 8th dan?

As far as I'm aware, the most senior British and Irish aikidoka are rokudan. I stand ready to be corrected, though.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

The phrase can of worms comes to mind...Here's what I'm aware of:

There are many people claiming high ranks and titles, but who issued them is the question? In the case of the Aikikai Hombu dojo it's as follows:

Kanetsuka Shihan - 7th dan, BAF
Cottier Shihan (student of Osensei, associated with Hong Kong Aikikai) - 6th dan, IAF
Smith Shihan - 6th dan, UKA
Ezra Sensei - 6th dan, KAA
Holland Sensei (Scottish Aikido Federation) - 6th dan
Various British Aikikai instructors (Chiba Shihan affiliated) - 6th dan

I'm not sure of the senior Yoshinkan (Dave Yates?), Tomiki or Ki Society folks. Any takers?

There are several active Abbe Sensei students, for instance Williams and Foster Sensei, who are well respected, but no longer directly connected to Hombu. In addition there are a number of self promoted 8th dans and Shihans, heading up some of the 30+ organisations in the country.

Can we have a link to the original article please Demetrio?

Mark

Mark
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
akiy

Here's a listing in the AikiWeb AikiWiki of high ranking non-japanese yudansha (at or above 7th dan):

http://www.aikiweb.com/wiki/nonjapanese

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
markwalsh wrote:
Can we have a link to the original article please Demetrio?
It wasn't an article, it was some posts in another internet forum.
Note: Bold are mine

Post 1:
Quote:
cod3r wrote:
Really? A month ago I witnessed my organisation's Shihan (8th dan) zapping someone 15 ft away. With his KI. He dropped like a stone. EDIT: Not the Shihan, of course. The other geezer,

I don't think there is consensus on what it is. Different people have their own beliefs. What I know, and can say for certain, is that within the organisation that I train in the belief seems to be that there is indeed an invisible, immesurable, hitherto unknown to science force that can be harnessed to zap someone 15 ft away.

Make of it what you will.

- cod3r
Post 2:

Quote:
cod3r wrote:
I'd like to, but I doubt anything constructive will come out of the inevitable shit-storm that will follow.

I am not making any claims whatsoever here. I am merely pointing out that "Ki" is not universally accepted to be based on current scientific theory.

There are ranked people who believe that it is some kind of life energy or force, not one related to electromagnetism, gravity or other particulate forces. It can be used to, for instance, floor someone 15 ft away.

The Shihan I saw demonstrating the technique is one of the first people to practice and teach here in the UK in the 60's. By saying this I am not making a claim of validity; but this person did not make himself a grandmaster yesterday. I believe he is well known/respected within the (not very large) UK Aikido community.

I am also not saying that I personally believe any of this.

- cod3r
Post 3:
Quote:
cod3r wrote:
He's got nothing to be afraid of, however I don't want to get in shit with my sensei. I don't think there are many people that train both MT and Aikido in the UK. However as I said the community is not large. You should be able to find out easily enough. I believe he was a student of the very first sensei who came to the UK to teach Aikido.

Also it's a bit beside the point, which was that some highly ranked people believe in Ki as something outside the current scientific knowledge.

No aikido technique that I know of for certain. To begin with Shihan and the other person were separated by 15 ft of thin air.

I didn't see any power-up or anything; difficult to describe in words. The Shihan somewhat calmly, quickly but not very suddenly pointed an open palm towards the other person. I don't think he (edit: i.e, the other person) was making any effort to attack. The other person dropped directly on the spot, he didn't roll or fly across the room.

I'll go on the record to say my personal take was some sort of suggestion and reflex conditioning. Still, there you go. In front of my very eyes.

- cod3r
Post 4:
Quote:
cod3r wrote:
First of all. C'mon the MT instructor "Ki" comment was sarcastic, I meant it as a joke. Of course he doesn't do "Ki" stuff or anything!!!! :tongue1:

Sorry Omega, I have no idea whatsoever what Ki is. I used to think that it is a combination of timing, physics and suggestion, as many people here claim, or other scientifically explainable things.

However what I saw and heard from the Shihan and other members of the organisation is clearly outside the current body of scientific knowledge.

The "Ki-blast" I saw myself. Three times. Twice at a large distance, and once at very close range.
However it is not the only instance of inexplicable events attributed to Ki and the Shihan in my organisation. The Shihan told us that using his Ki he could make it impossible to lift him up. He's not overweight or anything, he is a 70 year old looking fit for his age. Maybe 150 lbs. max, more likely around 140 or so. He said that if he tenses up, one can lift him up, but if he relaxes and uses his Ki, it would be impossible to lift him. Whatever all this means I have no idea. However 140 lbs is 140 lbs tense or not, wool or steel, broken glass or lava. So I can't see how it can be explained scientifically, or even logically.

Less credibly, I have also heard anecdotal evidence from third parties that he "paralysed" someone. The Shihan merely pointed at that person. That person went down and did not get up for 30 minutes or so. <--- I AM NOT CLAIMING THIS, I JUST HEARD IT ON THE GRAPEVINE. (Just in case)

To recap:
1) Ki blast - I saw myself.
2) The lift thing - I heard the Shihan say it. I did not personally attempt to lift him.
3) The "paralysation" - someone else told me they saw it.

I am highly sceptical that any of this was not suggestion and reflex conditioning.

Point being: there is not a consensus that Ki is within the body of current scientific knowledge. Ranked people seem to believe otherwise.

- cod3r
I think if someone can put uke to sleep from 15 ft. away with a "ki blast", he should have worlwide recognition.

This gentleman seems to have the real Aiki-Jedi Powers (tm).

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 08-19-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Shodokan in the UK: Phil Newcomb is 6th, John Cameron and Scott Albright are 5th. There are a dozen 4th dans around. There are many more 3rd, 2nd and 1st dans. But keep in mind that shodokan has only a sylabus to 7th dan. The rest are honorary grades.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
markwalsh
United Nations

Oh God, now we've combined the "fake grades" and "is ki real" debates! Don't do it

Do an AikiWeb search for "Ki" if interested. It's all been said before I think.

Mark

PS Re 8th dan, can we all agree to send congratulatory letters to the first British 9th dan whom I sure will be arriving shortly.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Mark:

I'm not interested in ki debates (yes, I've read a lot of threads about it), self-awarded grades (lots of them), street effective Aikido (I've read more threads about it) and similar dead horse beatings.

I'm interested in debunking bizarre claims and "Theatrical Aikido For The Gullible New Agers", and i hope I'm not alone in that.

Thanks for your responses.

Weekend starts, see you on Monday.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #9
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Don't want to add fuel to the fire BUT

the British "8th Dans" are all self appointed or have been awarded it by their own associations

at least one of them (as far as I am aware) is not even a legimate Yudansha.

Yes I've seen the Ki trick (I think I recognise the instructor) but it only works on his students which is strange and illuminating.

As with everything there are egoists and charlatans in Aikido.

End of my contribution to this debate.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #10
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Philip Smith wrote:
Don't want to add fuel to the fire BUT

the British "8th Dans" are all self appointed or have been awarded it by their own associations

at least one of them (as far as I am aware) is not even a legimate Yudansha.

Yes I've seen the Ki trick (I think I recognise the instructor) but it only works on his students which is strange and illuminating.

As with everything there are egoists and charlatans in Aikido.

End of my contribution to this debate.
Hello Philip,

I think we have had part of this discussion before, on E-budo.

For the sake of people like me, who are Brits but do not live in the UK, will anyone reveal who are the current British 8th dan holders? Or is this an aikido state secret?

I should state at the outset that there are no non-Japanese 8th holders recognized by the Aikikai.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #11
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I think there used to be a 7th dan or two in the BAA - Tomiki. Maybe someone got promoted ... a couple may have passed on ... And strangely, looking at this list - I have trained with them all.

Lee Ah Loi - Tomiki, England, 7th Dan (JAA)
John Waite -- Tomiki/England, 7th JAA/BAA, 5th BJA
Brian Eustace -- Tomiki/England, 7th Dan BAA
Robert Forrest-West -- Tomiki/England, 7th Dan BAA
William Lawrence -- Tomiki/England, 7th Dan BAA

Old 08-20-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Did a bit more rumaging and found a UK 8th Dan.

http://www.nataikidofed.org.uk/

Quote:
The National Aikido Federation (Aikikai GB) is an association of some 20 clubs and several hundred members practising traditional Ueshiba style Aikido throughout the United Kingdom.

The founder and president of the National Aikido Federation is Mr Michael P Narey (8th Dan) who is assisted in the development of Aikido by national coach, Mr Bernard Harding (5th Dan).

A frequent guest of the National Aikido Federation is M. Pierre Chassang sensei (8th Dan) who is a long-time student of Nobuyoshi Tamura sensei. M Chassang regularly attends and teaches at N.A.F. Summer Schools, especially the early morning classes for instructors and senior students. He also travels to Britain on several occasions each year to teach at the federation's special instructor's courses.
I have never seen any of these people but trained - just once on a visit home a couple of years ago - with a NAF group in Sheffield and can say their 2nd Dan teacher was quite good.

------------------------------

Just found another:

http://home.att.net/~erik.mann/dge.htm

Quote:
Mr. Eayrs, an 8th Dan in Aikido, born in Portsmouth, England, currently resides in Moscow, Russia. He served in the British Army from 1958-1967, and has since served in an extensive variety of high profile corporate security positions, including Security Manager for Coca-Cola Corp. Russia. He's a professional bodyguard, and has worked for many high profile VIP's. Mr. Eayrs 1st Dan in Yoshinkan Aikido was awarded by Gozo Shioda in 1968.....

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 08-20-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #13
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I believe that Pat Stratford of the Aikido Union England is listed as an 8th Dan. I have met and trained with Tanaka Sensei, one of Pat Stratford's teachers, Tanaka Sensei asked me if I knew "master Stratford", which I didn't, and yes I did quote.

Interestingly for me, Pat Stratford and Tanaka sensei both crop up in my own personal lineage. Pat was the teacher of one of my early teachers, and Tanaka sensei was the teacher of my Tokyo dojo-cho.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 08-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
markwalsh
United Nations

Some other non Aikikai promoted 8th dans in the UK:

Gwynne Jones - Shin Gi Tai
Ralpth Reynolds - Aikido Fellowship
and I think:
John Cornish - UKAF

I've trained with these three instructors only once, and don't feel in a position to judge their aikido.

List of UK associations with histories:
http://www.bab.org.uk/associations/associations.html
Old 08-21-2005, 12:24 AM   #15
wayneth
Dojo: Port Talbot Dojo
Wales

Britain as far as I understand, there are only three organizations in Britain recognized by the Aikikai (correct me if I am wrong). These being: British Aikido Federation
United Kingdom Aikikai and
Komyokan Aikido Association.
Where the most Senior recognized by the Aikikai is Kanetsuka Shihan being 7th Dan, and I would think that the senior most recognized non-Japanese would be Cottier Shihan being 6th Dan. Although there are 7th Dans in Britain, one being Gwynne Jones but he isn't recognized by the Aikikai. As far as I understand the highest recognized non Japanese people are:
Cottier Shihan 6th Dan
Smith Shihan 6th Dan
Holland Shihan 6th Dan
Ezra Sensei 6th Dan
and the various Shidoins under Chiba Sensei.
There are no 6th Dans (apart from Cottier Sensei and Holland Sensei) affiliated to the British Aikido Federation, the highest grade being 5th Dans. And as Far as I understand many of those seniors have been their grade for almost 10 years.
Maybe there are 8th Dans in Britain but as far as I can understand are not recognized by the Aikikai and therefore possibly their organization gave it to them?
(this is my interpretation of this thread, it maybe wrong but please correct me)
Wayne
Old 08-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Richard Cardwell
Dojo: Belfast Aikido Circle

There's also Alan Ruddock sensei (6th Dan Aikikai), whose Aiki No Michi organisation is, as far as I'm aware, an Aikikai affiliate. He worked with Virginia Mayhew sensei in the 70s in setting up the Hong Kong Aikikai. He's Irish, not British, but he lives and mostly teaches on the Isle of Man.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #17
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Just adding that not being recognized by the Aikikai doesn't mean that the association or the aikido practiced there is necessarily bad.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 AM   #18
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

How is Aikikai recognition achieved?

Does it involve sending money? If it does....what are the amounts involved? And what difference does it make to the ability of these guys whether they are recognised or not?

Why are the highest non japanese recognised grades 6th dan?

just curious....

D
Old 08-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #19
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Hello Mr Sims,

Here are a few answers to your questions.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
How is Aikikai recognition achieved?
There are regulations set out in English on the Aikikai's website (aikikai.or.jp).

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Does it involve sending money?
No.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
If it does....what are the amounts involved?
See previous answer.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
And what difference does it make to the ability of these guys whether they are recognised or not?
This is a more difficult question answer and probably depends on your standpoint. I myself see the benefits of being recgognized by a large organization like the Aikikai when foreigners come to my dojo in Japan and want to continue with their training and grading, and also when I myself go abroad to teach and conduct Aikikai recognized grading examinations. Here, it is not merely my ability that counts or that of the students, but the fact that the vast majority of direct students of the Founder are affiliated to large organizations such as the Aikikai, Yoshinkan or Ki Society. All my past and present teachers are ranked with the Aikikai and so I have no reason to question belonging to this organization. You would probably need to talk to "these guys" individually.

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Why are the highest non japanese recognised grades 6th dan?
The highest non-Japanese recognized by the Aikikai are 7th dan. None of them happens to be from the UK.

just curious....

D[/quote]

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 AM   #20
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Thank you Mr Goldsbury.

I'm surprised that there is no charge for getting an aikikai grading.

Incidentally I think part of the confusion here is that 7th and 8th dans for instance are awarded by Federations in the UK without Aikikai involvement. Meaning some of the names that have been pulled into this discussion may well have aikikai recognition...but at a lower level than that bestowed upon them by their group.

Others may not.

I'm sure there are some interesting historic reasons for this and for the plethora of organisations in the uk alone each with their own heads and affiliations.

This thread seems to have taken a rather odd direction since it was commenced on that 'other forum' following one individuals demonstration of their aikido.

Peace love and harmony everybody.

D
Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 AM   #21
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Within the Aikikai at least, those currently possessing 8th Dan rank were generally students of Morihei or Kisshomaru Ueshiba well before the death of the former, which means they started Aikido in the early sixties at the very latest.

Several of the pioneers of Aikido in the UK started training at around that time or earlier, but subsequently rejected direct contact with the Aikikai (and in some cases indeed any Japanese influence at all). Some of these now use titles such as "shihan" as used within the Aikikai, as well as adopting elevated grades awarded internally within their own organisations. Whether or not this is justified can be debated endlessly, but in terms of time served and effort invested in developing Aikido many of these teachers have earned the respect of their peers.

At the same time, there are some individuals in the UK with self-appointed grades of 6th, 7th and even 8th Dan which do not reflect even remotely the length of their training history, and so their grades cannot be in any way taken seriously.

I was at a weekend seminar a few years ago where one such character was teaching, and was approached by the secretary of his organisation. She wanted signatures for a petition (to whom was unclear) for this person to be "promoted to 8th Dan".

This kind of behaviour has generated vast amounts of controversy over here, as indeed many contributors to these forums will be aware...

Alex
Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #22
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Slighty back on topic

Thanks everybody for your useful posts.

I'm starting to think the Shihan is Mr. Ralph Reynolds.
(bold are mine)

Quote:
We at the BAF are very lucky to train with, and learn from Shihan Ralph Reynolds. A mild mannered tornado Aikidoka of many years experience. In actual fact, though sometimes I wonder why, I find it very difficult to approach him … especially on the subject of his use (?) of Ki. A kind of magic that enables him, and some of our high grades, to 'pin' without touching, 'throw' without effort and seemingly 'draw' energy from Uki without making contact and leave Uki helpless on the floor, unable to recover … and sometimes unable to walk because of a seeming utter lack of energy!

I watched with wonder an example of 'his' Ki; a nidan instructor who placed his hand on a coffee table in front of Shihan. Shihan laid his hand over the top of his; only for a moment or two. Shihan then removed his hand and asked the nidan instructor to lift his hand from the coffee table … and guess what? He couldn't! He could not lift his hand! Why? I don't know … I can't even begin to guess ….

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...96&postcount=6

Regards.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #23
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Thank you Mr Goldsbury.

I'm surprised that there is no charge for getting an aikikai grading.
D
I did not say that there was no charge for grading.

You asked how Aikikai recognition was achieved and I gave an explanation. If you look at the Aikikai's website, you will see that Recognition involves organizations, not individuals. There is no charge for this.

The grading of individuals who belong to Recognized organizations is another matter and the Aikikai has also issued Regulations for Dan Grades. There are fee scales for dan promotions.

P A Goldsbury
Old 08-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #24
markwalsh
United Nations

Clarification to avoid trouble:

BAF - as quoted by Demetrio above, stands for the British Aikido Fellowship, not the British (or Bulgarian) Aikido Federation.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #25
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Mark:

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, BAF stands for British Aikido Fellowship