Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Raziel
Dojo: Inti College Dojo
Malaysia
Double Blade technique please help

Hi all,

My college is going to have a Martial Art exhibition. All the martial art club will take part, included Aikido.

After discussing with my friend, we are thinking about performing the double blade technique, but non of us learn double blade technique before.

So, is that any good double blade video to download, so that we can learn? Please tell me, thanks !!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Double Blade technique please help

Quote:
Tan Woei Kuan wrote:
Hi all,

My college is going to have a Martial Art exhibition. All the martial art club will take part, included Aikido.

After discussing with my friend, we are thinking about performing the double blade technique, but non of us learn double blade technique before.

So, is that any good double blade video to download, so that we can learn? Please tell me, thanks !!!
My question would be why would you choose to do something in a demo that you didn't even study as part of your normal training? Saotome Sensei does two sword and there is a video out with his forms (available from ATM I believe). But if you pick something for a demo which you learn for the first time just for the demo, it almost always looks like that. I can't see that you would be very impressive. And why do something in your demo that you don't study at your dojo? What is the purpose of demoing something prospective students of your school won't even do? This doesn't make sense to me...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I agree with George. Do what you know and do it well.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
Raziel
Malaysia

Hi,

Aikido club is the only martial art club in my college which provide weapons trainning. If we do not perform anything special, noone gonna notice our club. The exhibition is still many months to go, still time for trainning.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Tan Woei Kuan wrote:
Hi,

Aikido club is the only martial art club in my college which provide weapons trainning. If we do not perform anything special, noone gonna notice our club. The exhibition is still many months to go, still time for trainning.
Well, if you are serious, get the video from Aikido Today Magazine. Saotome Sensei has a vhs tape available from them of his Two Sword system. It is quite extensive and if you have a decent weapons background in the first place you might be able to learn them off the tape. Good luck!

See: www.aiki.com
Look up the video under Saotome Sensei in their store.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

If you have a decent weapons background AND you are the only club that offers weapons training then ANTYTHING you do with weapons will have an impact on the audience.

I still say stick with what you know.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-24-2005, 03:16 AM   #7
Raziel
Malaysia

Hi,

Ah, if relly like that I will consider normal Bokken technique. But of course we need to modify it a bit so that it will be more appropriate on exhibition. Perhaps I will need some of the single bokken technique video for reference too. Thanks for the advises.

Last edited by Raziel : 02-24-2005 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling make different sense :p
Old 02-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, from an FMA background, Tenshin-nage and Juji-nage involve both hands as do any ryote-tori. When taking one hand, watch your ma-ai to keep distance from the other hand. Take the balance so rather than attacking, one hand will reach for stability. Practice with tape on the blade so you develop blade consciousness. Never show the weapon befor you attack. Nothing outside the bodyline.Do a flow, deflect a few attacks before taking the elbow.

All that being said, stick to what you know. If you get them to notice, they may notice you don't really know what you re doing against double blades. Very few people do.

Good luck.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States

How's that go...better to be thought of as stupid than to be known to be stupid?

Represent the Aikido that you practice, not the Aikido you think people want.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

IMO, I looks like you and your friend. is trying to demo a double blade kata under a Aikido label.
You are collage students, How many years of experience do you and your friend have with weapons?. or even to consider a double blade sword technique for your demo. Just because you seen it in another demo. Have you the skills in this type of technique. dose your Instructor, or did you ever consider asking your instructors permission?.

IMO, trying to do something that is out of line of your normal training. I would be a embarrassment to your club, Instructor and collage. If you preform poorly, other MA clubs would not think of Aikido very highly after that. Don't embarrass the name of Aikido and the people who read this thread you submitted.

I know you want to put your club on the map in your collage. But you must consider your inexperience and trying to preform something dangerous and not in line with your normal Aikido training. Don't put your club's repetition on the line, with out thinking over your decision before moving on.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 02-27-2005, 06:53 AM   #11
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

[b]I tend to think that demonstrations are overrated. The problem is in the "performing" sense.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #12
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Tan Woei Kuan wrote:
Hi,
Ah, if relly like that I will consider normal Bokken technique. But of course we need to modify it a bit so that it will be more appropriate on exhibition.
Why? If you present something that you do not normally teach/practice, then folks will come into your club expecting to learn those things.

Basically, on some levels, it's lying to your audience.

As for the niten (two-sword) stuff, if you've never learned it, don't demo it. Same for anything else.

Stick with what you know, do it well, and impress or don't impress as the cards may fall.

Folks who will be good students will not be swayed by theatrics and flash.

Chuck

Old 02-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
Why? If you present something that you do not normally teach/practice, then folks will come into your club expecting to learn those things.

Basically, on some levels, it's lying to your audience.

As for the niten (two-sword) stuff, if you've never learned it, don't demo it. Same for anything else.

Stick with what you know, do it well, and impress or don't impress as the cards may fall.

Folks who will be good students will not be swayed by theatrics and flash.

Chuck

My teacher keeps saying the same things to all Yundasha before he allows them to replace him - Never teach something you do not know.

Showing it on performance is the same as teaching.

Amir