Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
bychang93
Dojo: Shudokan Malaysia (Yoshinkan Style)
Malaysia
Aikido dojo in Hong Kong

Hello,

I've been training aikido at Shudokan Malaysia for the past 3 years and just got my 3rd Kyu.
But I'll have to say goodbye to my aikdo family in Malaysia, since I'm going to Hong Kong for university at the end of this month.

I've found quite a number of dojos in Hong Kong with the dojo search.
Can anybody recommend me a dojo at Hong Kong to train at?
I currently have no idea which dojo to go or try out first

Oh ya, which of those Hong Kong dojos teach in the Yoshinkan style?

Thank you for your help
Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Aikido dojo in Hong Kong

Quote:
Bing Yen Chang wrote: View Post
Hello,

I've been training aikido at Shudokan Malaysia for the past 3 years and just got my 3rd Kyu.
But I'll have to say goodbye to my aikdo family in Malaysia, since I'm going to Hong Kong for university at the end of this month.

Thank you for your help
Chang,

All the best wishes to you in Hong Kong.

Doing the same dojo search in Aikiweb, there is only one dojo that practices the Yoshinkan system of instructions and that is the last one on the list. My advice is to stick to this system till you get a dan grade. If you decide to switch, then choose a dojo which is close to your university or close to where you are living.

Regards

DY
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
bychang93
Malaysia

Thanks, David Yap.

Sadly, I have contacted Francis Blackmore Sensei of that Yoshinkan dojo, and he said that has moved back to New York, so he is no longer in Hong Kong, and there are no more classes being held at that dojo.

I've asked Sensei Farid, and he said that the teaching and training styles of Aikikai and Yoshinkan can vary a lot depending on the Sensei. We had an Aikikai guy join our dojo for awhile, even his kamae was totally different than ours, not to mention the form of the techniques.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your help
A friend of mine, Bernard Kwan, trains at Aikido Doyukai (http://www.aikidodoyukai.com) in Hong Kong.

I've never been to the dojo, so I can't say much about it, but Bernard's good folks - he has an interesting blog at http://benotdefeatedbytherain.blogspot.com/

It's not Yoshinkan, however.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
bychang93
Malaysia

Thanks for the info, Chris.
I'll take a look and join a few classes, if I can't find any Yoshinkan dojos.
Like David said, I think it's better for me to stick to Yoshinkan until I get my 1st Dan.

Anybody knows any information about Yoshinkan dojos in Hong Kong?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
R0sies
Dojo: Aikido Ryu Dojo
Japan

Quote:
bychang93 wrote: View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your help
Hi there,

I will be heading to HK on August to teach Yoshinkan. I graduated from the Senshusei course in February 2013, and have been training and teaching as Uchi Deshi under Ando Shihan for four months. Are you still keen to practice?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
I think it's better for me to stick to Yoshinkan until I get my 1st Dan.

Anybody knows any information about Yoshinkan dojos in Hong Kong?
There is a worldwide Yoshinkan dojo directory on the Yoshinkan hombu website, here:
http://www.yoshinkan.net/03contentsE/shibuE.html

Note that it lists no Yoshinkan dojos for Hong Kong or China.

However, also note that there was a split in Yoshinkan a short while back. Chida-shihan, a highly respected Yoshinkan practitioner, left to found his own organization, called Renshinkai. So there are now multiple international organizations teaching Yoshinkan-style aikido.

I have a different suggestion for you. Defer your university for one year. You will go to Kyoto, Japan. There you will enroll in the instructors' program and learn from Payet-shihan, the sensei who is instructing me. In one year, you will have a shodan rank, but your skill level will be closer to a nidan or higher, and you will have an instructors' license. Then you can move to Hong Kong and open your own Yoshinkan dojo. Details about the instructors' program are on the Mugenjuku Dojo website. The next course starts in April, 2014.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

Quote:
Rosie Slater wrote: View Post
I will be heading to HK on August to teach Yoshinkan. I graduated from the Senshusei course in February 2013, and have been training and teaching as Uchi Deshi under Ando Shihan for four months. Are you still keen to practice?
Hi, Rosie. I think you contacted Mugenjuku at one point to ask about teaching there. Sorry it didn't work out for you to be sewanin on our course. We just finished the Dai Ichi exam with satisfactory, if less than satisfying results...
http://aikidomugenjukukenshusei.file...ins2.jpg?w=470

I am a little disappointed to hear you are opening a dojo in Hong Kong. I didn't start the Kenshusei Course in Kyoto with the intention of becoming an instructor, but I have been thinking that if it allowed me to live somewhere I couldn't otherwise (such as Ulaanbaatar or... Hong Kong!!), teaching might be worth it.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
R0sies
Japan

Quote:
Christian Mikkelson wrote: View Post
Hi, Rosie. I think you contacted Mugenjuku at one point to ask about teaching there. Sorry it didn't work out for you to be sewanin on our course. We just finished the Dai Ichi exam with satisfactory, if less than satisfying results...
http://aikidomugenjukukenshusei.file...ins2.jpg?w=470

I am a little disappointed to hear you are opening a dojo in Hong Kong. I didn't start the Kenshusei Course in Kyoto with the intention of becoming an instructor, but I have been thinking that if it allowed me to live somewhere I couldn't otherwise (such as Ulaanbaatar or... Hong Kong!!), teaching might be worth it.
Hi Chris, really sorry but I only just saw this! Why are you disappointed that I am teaching in Hk? Yes, Mugenjuku was difficult logistically but I was lucky with Ando Sensei. It was a tough gig though. I actually came down to Kyoto for a dojo visit in July. Too bad I missed you!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Sand-Wind

Dojo: Jin Yuu Gi Aikido(Kuwait)
Kuwait

Try HKAA(Hong Kong Aikido Association) this the site:

http://www.aikido.com.hk/

This organization was founded by Ken Cottier Shihan 7th Dan in 1971. He passed away in 2008 his students now teach. I can't comment on how good they are cause I haven't been there but my Sensei used to train under Cottier Shihan there as well and from what he used to tell us its a great dojo filled with great and talented instructors and students.

About styles I don't know what style they do you will have to ask them. At some point when you get better what dojo you visit and what its style won't matter as long as your Aikido is effective and that should be your main aim. If you go to the dojo you should watch the first time and see if it suits you than go another time to try it out just to make sure if its what your looking for.

If you feel your more comfortable with your current style and might have a problem if your taught in another way than I agree with the others suggestions you should stick to that style till you are a Yudansha.

Note: there is a schedule online but just in case it has been changed contact them first before going to watch or train.

Last edited by Sand-Wind : 09-02-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Had a few more words to say.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
bychang93
Malaysia

@Rosie Slater:

Yes, I am still interested in training! However, currently I am on an exchange program at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA. I'll be back in Hong Kong by February.

How long and where will you be teaching in Hong Kong?

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody! I'm thinking of trying out Aikikai here at the Central Illinois Aikikai dojo, and see if my body can handle the difference in style.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Saud Al-Zaidi wrote: View Post
Try HKAA(Hong Kong Aikido Association) this the site:

http://www.aikido.com.hk/

This organization was founded by Ken Cottier Shihan 7th Dan in 1971. He passed away in 2008 his students now teach. I can't comment on how good they are cause I haven't been there but my Sensei used to train under Cottier Shihan there as well and from what he used to tell us its a great dojo filled with great and talented instructors and students.

About styles I don't know what style they do you will have to ask them. At some point when you get better what dojo you visit and what its style won't matter as long as your Aikido is effective and that should be your main aim. If you go to the dojo you should watch the first time and see if it suits you than go another time to try it out just to make sure if its what your looking for.

If you feel your more comfortable with your current style and might have a problem if your taught in another way than I agree with the others suggestions you should stick to that style till you are a Yudansha.

Note: there is a schedule online but just in case it has been changed contact them first before going to watch or train.
Hi,
Since Mr Cottier was a member of the B.A. F [Brit.Aikido Fed] he did Traditional aikido[not Yoshinkan]I would asume his ex dojo would follow on his legacy.Cheers, Joe.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
R0sies
Japan

Quote:
@Rosie Slater:

Yes, I am still interested in training! However, currently I am on an exchange program at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA. I'll be back in Hong Kong by February.

How long and where will you be teaching in Hong Kong?

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody! I'm thinking of trying out Aikikai here at the Central Illinois Aikikai dojo, and see if my body can handle the difference in style.
I will be here when you get back I will be here for a while, in fact.
You can contact me at any time on rosie.slater@me.com
Aikikai - they do everything differently to what I learned. Even which leg to do a breakfall on! I figured my best bet was to find people to practice Yoshinkan with, and train them up!
Look forward to hearing from you next year.
Rosie
Old 03-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #14
kopidea
Dojo: AIKIDO SHOKENKAI
Hong Kong

recently discovered that there is a new dojo in Hong Kong, claims that they are dedicated to the Aikido style and training methods as taught by TK Chiba Shihan and E Horii Shihan. Does anyone know if it is good?

https://www.aikidohk.com/