Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #126
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Will Aikido really work?

Ah, Wendy uses logic! Often rare around here!!
Well I believe honestly in the latter part of Osensei's life, he wasn't concerned much with the martial function of his system. I believe he saw a big bomb hit, and new that the world was a new and terrible place, where a system of self understanding was much more useful then a system of ancient martial combat. I think the systems and ideals he learned as a youth were put behind him and he was onto new ideas. This said, I don't really think it mattered to him if his system was an effective means of unarmed self defense or not. I also believe that he knew things like swords and knives were out of date in comparison to modern firearms. All this said, have you ever taught a class where you use a tanto. It can really be a pain. they fall on the floor, get tucked in belts, hit people on the head etc etc. It defiantly expedites matters in class when you go through the motions with out carrying all the weaponry around, and since it didn't matter that it was effective (for fighting) to him.....

-Chris Hein
Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #127
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote:
Jason, is that you on the cover of Royce's new book?
i never saw that book .
Old 05-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #128
JasonFDeLucia

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
Jason,
You've fought professionally, don't you believe that Aikido's syllabus is not geared toward empty handed combat?

-Chris Hein
as the basic principle is practiced traditionally, no.but after making the leap they are fine .for example chuck liddell uses perfectly traditional irimi and look at his success with it.and did you ever see those pictures of mr. ueshiba doing kata gatame and a seated front choke?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #129
JasonFDeLucia

Quote:
Tim Jester wrote:
Jason, is that you on the cover of Royce's new book?
now i've seen it .it's excellent .also it is me on the cover.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #130
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

This in Regards to Mr. Tennenhouse:

I've read your articles on the advancement of aikido in real life applications on AikidoJournal.com. I 100% agree with you on EVERYTHING!!! I come from a JKD/Kung Fu and Karate background and have been in a lot of street altercations so I know what real fighting consists of! I just started Aikido 2 months ago...and I didn't start it 'cause I wanted to be a better person...I started it 'cause it's principles and many of the techniques are very effective if trained in properly...pretty much the same thing you're trying to get through. I've been posting a lot on the NHB fighting and Aikido thread here on the website and NO ONE on the thread except maybe one person agrees with me! So...I know what you're going through when people criticize and insult you because you know the truth. I just wanted to give you that word of encouragement. Also...if you have any videos of your SRA...send me some! LOL!

Sincerely,

Alan M. Rodriguez
Old 05-30-2005, 09:22 PM   #131
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
This in Regards to Mr. Tennenhouse: I've read your articles on the advancement of aikido in real life applications on AikidoJournal.com. I 100% agree with you on EVERYTHING!!! ... So...I know what you're going through when people criticize and insult you because you know the truth. I just wanted to give you that word of encouragement. Also...if you have any videos of your SRA...send me some! LOL! Sincerely, Alan M. Rodriguez
IMHO, I hope you are being scarcastic, especially if you attended the Aiki Expo.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #132
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
IMHO, I hope you are being scarcastic, especially if you attended the Aiki Expo.
Hmm...do share with the class, Lynn

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #133
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Of course Aikido will work if that is your goal. I guess I could say something along the same lines in the Culture of Meritocracy thread but that has gotten pretty verbose and I would probably be lost in there.

Aikido training has a certain duality. A good teacher will guide your development but at the same time it is you who are responsible for your training. If your Aikido is not taking you in the direction (self defense by way of example) then you need to examine your training methods or more specifically how you approach your training.

In circumstance which I wont relate my Uncle with a huge grin on his face in response to a comment I made said that the when ever you talk with a 16 year old about sex - they think they invented it. Same could be said with Aikido - the number of people who go through the stage of believing they have some great secret is equal to the number of people that do Aikido. The trick is to gain enough experience to realize that.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #134
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
In circumstance which I wont relate my Uncle with a huge grin on his face in response to a comment I made said that the when ever you talk with a 16 year old about sex - they think they invented it. Same could be said with Aikido - the number of people who go through the stage of believing they have some great secret is equal to the number of people that do Aikido. The trick is to gain enough experience to realize that.
But I don't see how this applies...I mean...er...you mean..um...but I did invent...well...discover...hmm...

What a great analogy.

cheers,

--Michael

-

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-31-2005, 04:55 AM   #135
Charlie

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Aikido training has a certain duality. A good teacher will guide your development but at the same time it is you who are responsible for your training. If your Aikido is not taking you in the direction (self defense by way of example) then you need to examine your training methods or more specifically how you approach your training.
Exactly!!! That is what i was trying to say in the mediocrity thread.

Charles Burmeister
Aikido Yoshinkan Yoseikai

"Calmness is trust in action"
Old 05-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #136
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:

No...I'm being honest...I don't see why YOU would disagree being that you apparently are a JKD/Kali practioner. However...please explain how his Aiki Expo demonstration was a failure.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:22 PM   #137
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Tennenhouse bombed at the expo...he couldn't put his money where his mouth was. Which is what was in doubt all along. If you are going to pick someone to cheer, at least pick someone who can do what he says. By the way, Lynn was there...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #138
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...163&highlight=

for the "highlights" in question...oh boy...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-31-2005, 09:13 PM   #139
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
This in Regards to Mr. Tennenhouse:

I've read your articles on the advancement of aikido in real life applications on AikidoJournal.com. I 100% agree with you on EVERYTHING!!! I come from a JKD/Kung Fu and Karate background and have been in a lot of street altercations so I know what real fighting consists of! I just started Aikido 2 months ago...and I didn't start it 'cause I wanted to be a better person...I started it 'cause it's principles and many of the techniques are very effective if trained in properly...pretty much the same thing you're trying to get through. I've been posting a lot on the NHB fighting and Aikido thread here on the website and NO ONE on the thread except maybe one person agrees with me! So...I know what you're going through when people criticize and insult you because you know the truth. I just wanted to give you that word of encouragement. Also...if you have any videos of your SRA...send me some! LOL!

Sincerely,

Alan M. Rodriguez
'Lo Alan ol' chap,

Still think highly of of the ol' Short Range Aikido thingy? Me think if those SRA videos are on sale it is prob'ly a good time to buy 'em 'coz they'll be going for a dozen a penny and they will be found at the clearance stock tray.

Good luck ol'chap.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #140
nathansnow

Dojo: Ryokukai
United_States

Quote:
Peter Seth wrote:
Wrist grasps are to initiate beginners into the concepts of circularity. But if/when you become more aware of concepts you can pre-empt attacks and actually get your attacker to grasp your wrist/elbow/shoulder etc etc by presenting whichever one to him before he has formed his attack.
As he is thinking about attacking you, feign an attack on him, eg: uraken (backfist strike) to the face. If you are in the right position he will automatically raise his arm/hand to defend and most likely grasp what is offered. - and there you go!
This is very simplistic as an example but try it.P.
Great example Peter, right on the money!!
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #141
Counsel

Similar to another post, but different.

There are many 'techniques' in Aikido (as there are in many different arts. Each technique can be applied as taught (as in a wrist grab) or in another situation (where the wrist may not be 'the target').

As someone who has studied jujitsu, I have encountered this 'wrist grab.' I haven't seen many 'attackers' grab my wrist either, but I have seen situations where the response to the 'wrist grab' could be applied effectively.

One of the instructor's purposes is to teach you techniques. One of your goals as a student is to ask yourself questions about every technique: 'Can I use this technique as taught?' or 'Can I use this technique in other situations?'

Just a question...can you not visualize a situation where the response to the wrist grab would be of use or could be of use even if the 'attacker' did not simply grab your wrist?

Perspective...

C
Old 02-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #142
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Katate-tori (wrist grab) can also be thought of as a technique uke uses to keep you from drawing a weapon.