Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Esaemann
Fear

This is probably more suited to a philosophy(?) class, but here goes.

It seems that the word fear gets thrown around a lot in public. If someone does/feels like A, fear must be an underlying reason.

Some examples 1) hate of anything/anybody 2) wanting to train hard with the goal of being able to defend themselves 3) looking under your car and in the back seat before opening the door (for those in the know, I saw it from Mas Ayoob on Personal Defense TV).

I guess I always believed that the reasons for 2 & 3 were only dealing with the reality of the world we live in.

I'm wondering for some if this has something to do with projecting how the person should feel based on how the person that says its fear feels about such practices?

Personally, I think its funny that someone puts the fear moniker on someone who they don't know. Also, I don't see why its such a big deal to admit fear (I'm afraid of snakes and sometimes heights), and thus the underlying reason (or fear) wouldn't really be "underlying" after all.

Any thoughts from those who may think that someone has fear because of their actions or beliefs, or those who think the same as me?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Fear

There is nothing wrong with fear. It is a normal feeling and one that keeps us healthy in many cases. The issue for me, becomes when we take actions that may be irrational or without proper awareness of fear.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Luc X Saroufim

forgive me for generalizing, but i think human beings are afraid of one, and only one, thing: what we don't know.

you wouldn't be afraid to climb the mountain if you knew you weren't going to fall.

you wouldn't attack a person if you knew they weren't going to hurt you.

you wouldn't be nervous for a test if you knew you were going to pass.

fear simply comes from not knowing.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

I have an irrational fear of heights. I know why I have it, I know what triggers it, and I have learned to control it. I was a pole vaulter in my past life and I jump out of airplanes from time to time in my profession. I am still scared and have to work very hard to prepare myself to do these things.

I do agree, that much fear comes from not knowing (ignorance) I do think this is the most dangerous type of fear.

Maybe there is a difference between fear and phobias???

I take my PT test every six months, I have never ever failed, and never will, however I still get nervous every time simply because I am being tested. It too is an irrational fear.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Esaemann

Kevin,
I see where you're coming from. Fear is something that just is, its neither good nor bad in itself .. only what we do with it.
Depends on what "irrational" is. Probably has to be determined on a case by case basis. Also, with 3 people there will be 4 different opinions on what is "irrational".

Luc,
Definitely, in some experiences of mine, fear is overcome by thorough study and understanding. Sometimes its not - I've gone skydiving and still don't like staring over a big drop unless its on a chairlift or mountain with a pair of skis. Just one example, but I'm not sure how much more I can understand heights. I guess I have to disagree that fear only comes from not knowing.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
DonMagee
United_States

There is a fear of consequence as well. I feared shots as a kid. I feared them because I knew they hurt. I used to flinch when people would throw punches at me. Again, because I knew what would happen if one hit.

Those are trained responses to keep the body safe. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

F fantasy
E experienced
A as
R real

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
makuchg

Dojo: FL Aikido Center
United_States

I don't think fear is the problem, it managing it that's difficult. Everyone has fear, the brave ones are the people who recognize and overcome.

Gregory Makuch
Wandering Ronin
Spring Hill, FL
Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Gregory Makuch wrote:
I don't think fear is the problem, it managing it that's difficult. Everyone has fear, the brave ones are the people who recognize and overcome.
On one hand I totally agree. Courage is being extremely afraid and doing the right thing anyway.

On the other hand, you don't have to recognize, manage, or overcome what you don't create to begin with.

Seldom do both my hands know what the other is doing or meaning. They like contradicting each other. Something about the unifying or harmonizing of contradictions and duality.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Two words....ignorant bliss.

my shortest post all day!