Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #26
Chris Evans
United_States
Confused Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Even O'sensei declined to dodge bullets and never stepped foot in Richmond.

You originally said Berkeley but now expand to the full greater bay area? Too many places to list as there are so many really good places to train. Why not kajukenbo in SF (1819 Polk St) is pretty tasty!
Berekeley is on the Richmond-bound train.

I'm particularly considering Suginami Aikikai SF with Clovis' BJJ since:
our son lives near that Aikido dojo and rolls at the BJJ gym there,
offers couple of kickboxing classes,
and on Saturdays I could do Aikido and BJJ after surfing at Linda Mar

The downside is I'd have to give up my knockdown karate classes on Tue's & Thr's. I was looking for Mon, Wed, Fri, & Sat spots.
I'd like to cross train in Aikido, while practicing MMA karate 2/week. Adding BJJ would be a nice bonus.

We're blessed with good martial and zazen opportunities in our area.

again, thank you for the suggestions

Last edited by Chris Evans : 10-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #27
Chris Evans
United_States
Re: Aikido for MMA?

looks like I've found an aikido dojo, for now.

Although the Akido Institute, http://www.aikidoinstitute.org/ looks very interesting, the Aikido of Berkeley, http://aikidoofberkeley.com/, has also Free Aiki, http://freeaiki.com/, is closer to home with easy parking, and my wife appears to be interested in this dojo that has a female sensei (which makes absolutely no difference to me).

I'm looking for a more traditional aikido that's open to integrating with any kind of attacks, keeping an open mind, that may also contribute to my MMA endeavors.

Osu

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
looks like I've found an aikido dojo, for now.
Phew, lucky for them, for the time being.

Haha. Sorry, I just found this sentence to be odd.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Chris Evans
United_States
Wink Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
Phew, lucky for them, for the time being.

Haha. Sorry, I just found this sentence to be odd.
No need to apologize: No wrong was done.

I know I want to practice aikido, but I will not be sure if that's the dojo until I give a sincere "nyunanshin" effort.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
No need to apologize: No wrong was done.

I know I want to practice aikido, but I will not be sure if that's the dojo until I give a sincere "nyunanshin" effort.
I wasn't doubting your resolve to learn aikido, I was just imagining myself being part of that dojo and then reading that. But I've been told I'm too serious (I keep saying "it's just focus!") and need to smile more, so

Seriously,
Anthony
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
Janet Rosen

Chris, I've visited Kayla's dojo a number of times during the time it was in Richmond, and totally recommend it.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #32
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Chris, I've visited Kayla's dojo a number of times during the time it was in Richmond, and totally recommend it.
Visited only once, trained with her on other occasions - she is really great! Not seen the new dojo.

Last edited by Nicholas Eschenbruch : 08-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Chris Evans
United_States
Freaky! Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Anthony Loeppert wrote: View Post
I wasn't doubting your resolve to learn aikido, I was just imagining myself being part of that dojo and then reading that. But I've been told I'm too serious (I keep saying "it's just focus!") and need to smile more, so

Seriously,
Anthony
Your comments are appreciated. (Wasn't sure if my gratitude came through). Vigorous, practical, trainings are intrinsically rewarding, particularly when applied to by considerate & thoughtful people.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #34
Chris Evans
United_States
Smile Re: Aikido for MMA?

Thank you, Janet & Nicholas. New dojo's cozy, got to maintain 360* awareness.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I watched Rhonda Rousey on Saturday night. She may not think a lot about Aikido but I think she was very centered as she entered right in Sarah Kaufman's punches and throughly dominated her in 54 seconds.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #36
Chris Evans
United_States
Talking Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I watched Rhonda Rousey on Saturday night. She may not think a lot about Aikido but I think she was very centered as she entered right in Sarah Kaufman's punches and throughly dominated her in 54 seconds.
Thanks! I had missed that because I was hosting a dinner party (grilled lamb with fig & anyo (sp?) chilie sause).

Judo's wonderful, low delusional, training.

For me, I've had more injuries from that so called "gentle" sport than from all other marital arts/sports, combined: WTF TKD, karate, kickboxing, hapkido (my base), BJJ, & MMA.

Judo yudansha often scares me more than even BJJ's; I can tap out during ne-waza, but a brutally sloppy throw hurts too fast!

I do hope female MMA grows. Hope more of the recent London '12 judo women gets interested in the most honest combat/budo sport, MMA.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 08-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Ask me how my shoulder is? I was uchi mata'd in May by a judoka...a Russian, that pinned my by burying his shoulder on the throw resulting in complete separation, Rockwood IV separation to my AC joint requiring reconstructive surgery with wires. I'm out of competing for the next year in BJJ and cab no longer complete in Judo ever.

I'll stick to BJJ from now on as Judo tends to be very hard on the body.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #38
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Ask me how my shoulder is? I was uchi mata'd in May by a judoka...a Russian, that pinned my by burying his shoulder on the throw resulting in complete separation, Rockwood IV separation to my AC joint requiring reconstructive surgery with wires. I'm out of competing for the next year in BJJ and cab no longer complete in Judo ever.

I'll stick to BJJ from now on as Judo tends to be very hard on the body.
Damn.. I had a Category II to III AC Joint separation in May as well.. tripped in my partners hakama
mid air, that stopped the roll and send me shoulder first into the matt.
No surgery for old cats like myself, and no contact sports for 6 months. Only aikido for me is aikiweb and youtube.. which drives me nuts..
Sounds like a good plan to quit Judo. I hope you will recover fully Kevin, best of luck !
Lars
Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #39
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

lol..so you know what I am dealing with Lars! CAT II and III is borderline for surgery of course, I had no choice at CAT IV to V. There is a 40% chance of failure with the repair as well, so not fun.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
lol..so you know what I am dealing with Lars! CAT II and III is borderline for surgery of course, I had no choice at CAT IV to V. There is a 40% chance of failure with the repair as well, so not fun.
I understand that young athletes would get surgery with cat II to III AC dislocation, but here in DK they treat people over 30 "conservative" meaning letting nature take care of it.
I do various soft excersizes with rubber bands building the internal muscles re-aligning the shoulder as correct as possible and recently I started lifting heavier weights to build up the big exterior muscle groups.
40 %.. thats a challenge. Keep the spirits high !
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #41
Chris Evans
United_States

the pace of aikido basics classes, for me, are understandably slow and that since my knee has fully recover from the judo randori injury, I think I'm ready to practice judo again, to compliment/supplement my budding aikido.

the fact that judo is not "gentle" at all, with risks to injury during randori/throws and taking hard falls, makes it an effective conditioning for self-defense (saving lives) or for playing MMA.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #42
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
the fact that judo is not "gentle" at all, with risks to injury during randori/throws and taking hard falls, makes it an effective conditioning for self-defense (saving lives) or for playing MMA.
question, how does busting yourself up during practice helping self-defense? maybe that's why they called it self-defense, as in defending against oneself.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #43
Chris Evans
United_States
Confused Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
question, how does busting yourself up during practice helping self-defense? maybe that's why they called it self-defense, as in defending against oneself.
the more you risk, the more rewarding is the training, up to a point.

taking hard falls on the mat conditions the body, particularly the crucial neck muscle that support the head, and the vigorous and supple "debate" improves balance and the ability to stay calm and clear minded.

aikido,
kyokushin (bare knuckle full contact) karate or muay Thai,
and
judo or jujutsu
are the "three legs" or dimensions of my budo practice, along with daily shikantaza practice.

having fun while improving martial conditioning is the hobby I am committed to. We get what we put into it, risks and all.

aside from the fun times, intrinsically, had by appropriately punishing training, the benefits are clear. For example, I fell off a ledge, of significant height, during cross country mountain bike race training, but landed, with my bike on a good side break fall, able to ride away with mere bruises. Sweet.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 08-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #44
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
the more you risk, the more rewarding is the training, up to a point.

taking hard falls on the mat conditions the body, particularly the crucial neck muscle that support the head, and the vigorous and supple "debate" improves balance and the ability to stay calm and clear minded.
i don't question the conditioning of the body using the right approaches. i question the whole point of breaking your body to prove that you are tough to take on things. Ellis Amdur wrote about someone went to Iwama to practice and got his arm busted that he could no longer use it, ever again. how would losing the usage of the arm helping self-defense? that's my question. take Kevin for example, while healing from his injury got jumped, what would his chance be compare to when he wasn't injured. hard practice and smart practice are two different things. folks like to mention that they trained hard, but have not heard of folks mentioned training smart.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #45
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
i don't question the conditioning of the body using the right approaches. i question the whole point of breaking your body to prove that you are tough to take on things. Ellis Amdur wrote about someone went to Iwama to practice and got his arm busted that he could no longer use it, ever again. how would losing the usage of the arm helping self-defense? that's my question. take Kevin for example, while healing from his injury got jumped, what would his chance be compare to when he wasn't injured. hard practice and smart practice are two different things. folks like to mention that they trained hard, but have not heard of folks mentioned training smart.
Just want to mention that Aikido Journal has a good article on safe training practices http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/07/
and there is another good one written by Gev Nagiba on the same topic about the importance on sanshin.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
Just want to mention that Aikido Journal has a good article on safe training practices http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/07/
and there is another good one written by Gev Nagiba on the same topic about the importance on sanshin.
Sorry, I screwed up the link, here is the right one from July 25: http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/07/
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #47
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Yeah, I did alot of dumb things over my life that have resulted in me having long term injuries, back problems etc. Not sure dong all them damn breakfalls were necessary or worth it in the long run.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #48
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
I understand that young athletes would get surgery with cat II to III AC dislocation, but here in DK they treat people over 30 "conservative" meaning letting nature take care of it.
I do various soft excersizes with rubber bands building the internal muscles re-aligning the shoulder as correct as possible and recently I started lifting heavier weights to build up the big exterior muscle groups.
40 %.. thats a challenge. Keep the spirits high !
Thanks. that is what I understood too. pretty much the treatment worldwide. with CAT II and III it is really a toss up if the surgery is worth it.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #49
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I have done cage fighting a couple times, and the biggest way that aikido helped me was in my ability to stay calm before and during the fight! This might not seem like a big deal to some, but it really is!

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #50
Chris Evans
United_States
Smile Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Here's an example of why our web forum helps us.
I've been lucky, so far. All the years of sparring (and competitions)
have spared me a lasting major injury

Such posts reminds me to be more careful which is why I am doing less MT style kickboxing sparring and more aikido. We all find a balance for ourselves. Exposure to regular vigorous training also brings its own luck and the ability to sense who you can trust to spar or randori WITH.

The myth does happen to be that most Aikidoka prefer too gentle or predictable contact, being shy or too "smart" about "eating bitter" to gain real "gung fu" level skills in aikido I appreciate you citing that example of the "loss of arm use" example.

in gassho

Last edited by Chris Evans : 08-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.