Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How reliant is physically effective aikido on "commited" attacks?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 4, 2007:

How reliant is physically effective aikido on "commited" attacks?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically reliant
  • Very reliant
  • Somewhat reliant
  • Not very reliant
  • Not at all reliant
Here are the current results.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Nick Pagnucco
United_States
Re: Poll: How reliant is physically effective aikido on "commited" attacks?

If an aikidoka has 'physically effective aikido', and she/he is given an uncommitted attack, one of 2 things occur:
  1. Very little, other than maintaining proper maai, etc. The attack, in an of itself, is not a threat. However, one still needs to deal with any new developments it creates.
  2. The aikidoka, seeing an opportunity in the uncommitted attack, enters quick and hard. This may not be seen as philosophically correct by some, but I do not subscribe to that view.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Sorry guys, for my bad knowledge of the English language. Maybe someone can help me.
If a technique is not 'reliable', how can it be 'effective' ?

Best regards Dirk
Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Sorry guys, for my bad knowledge of the English language. Maybe someone can help me.
If a technique is not 'reliable', how can it be 'effective' ?

Best regards Dirk
The question isn't "how reliable", but rather "how reliant". In other words, how much does aikido rely on committed attacks to be effective? If an aikidoka is not given a committed attack, can he still execute effective aikido?

(Edit to add, as I'm trying to study German: be reliable = verlässlich sein, zuverlässig sein; be reliant on = angewiesen sein auf, abhängig sein von. Ich hoffe, das hilft! )

Last edited by Josh Reyer : 02-04-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I believe aikido can be effective even without a committed attack. Hikisutchi Shihan taught very effective aikido without even waiting for an attack.

In gassho

Mark
Old 02-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #6
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

There are variables and definitions at play here that need to be further expounded upon in order to make the question a valid one. Such as what constitutes a "committed attack" and how would one define "physically effective". The other variable that is not addressed is the skill level of the person applying the aikido technique.

Arguably people with higher ability would be less, and perhaps not at all, reliant upon a committed attack and would be better able to deal with variations in the waza, than those with lesser skill.

In the end, we ultimately go back to paraphrasing the idea that, "Aikido works, your aikido may not, but aikido works"...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I think it all depends on your perspective and definition of attack.

My definition of attack mean to "do harm"

To me, an attack depends on three criteria: 1. Intent 2. ability. 3. implementation.

You can possess the desire and the intent to attack, but lack the ability.

You can have the ability, but lack the motivation and/or intent.

the third criteria is that you must implement it in some way.

if any of the above criteria are lacking...then you have no attack.

Aikido would also be concerned with the intent and ability...but maybe NOT the implementation. That is, we can present such a presence and strength in intent and ability, that the person does not attack because they fear reprisal.

While this may not be deemed as physical aikido, I believe it is, because you have established a physical presence through intent and ability.

Another alternative we have is influence through compassion. We can diffuse conflict through resolving situations through compassion and understanding in many cases.

However, if this were possible in every situation, we would have no need for physical aikido, or the need to practice martial arts. The ability and intent to influence things physically can buy us the time and space we need to use compassion.

I am getting off into the etheral now.

The question seems to be dealing with the direct physicality or superfical aspects of aikido....so on that note, I'd say YES aikido is 100% dependent on a committed attack....that is, you must possess the INTENT, ABILITY, and IMPLEMENT the action in order to have movement or a opposite response. Otherwise, we simply have people staring at one another, or one person responding to something that warrants no response.

However, perception is really the key to things....if one PERCIEVES, even erroneously that an attack is committed...even if it is NOT...that is all that is really necessary.

Practicing aikido and perfecting it hopefully reduces this dissonnace allowing us to see what is really there! (the Truth).
Old 02-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
The question isn't "how reliable", but rather "how reliant". In other words, how much does aikido rely on committed attacks to be effective? If an aikidoka is not given a committed attack, can he still execute effective aikido?

(Edit to add, as I'm trying to study German: be reliable = verlässlich sein, zuverlässig sein; be reliant on = angewiesen sein auf, abhängig sein von. Ich hoffe, das hilft! )
Thanks Josh,

Yes, those who can read (carefully) have some advantage

Maybe I should look for new glasses

Jun, Could someone move my question to the humor section pls?

I have to rethink. Fortunately I did not vote yet.

Regards

Dirk