Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2000, 06:23 PM   #1
marga
Thumbs down

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone has any favorite movies with Aikido in them. I am curious to see Aikido outside of the dojo, for obvious reasons.

For that matter, does anyone have any not-so-favorite movies featuring Aikido?

I'll watch anything!

Marga Napiel
Old 10-30-2000, 06:00 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
marga wrote:

I saw a movie once called "A low down dirty shame" with one of the Wayans in it. There was some aikido. It wasn't really all that much. I wouldn't make any effort to see it.
I doubt there's much apart from Seagal, anyhow.
andrew
Old 10-30-2000, 06:07 AM   #3
Uresu
Dojo: Komurokwai kin kuso aikijutsu
Quote:
andrew wrote:
Quote:
marga wrote:

I saw a movie once called "A low down dirty shame" with one of the Wayans in it. There was some aikido. It wasn't really all that much. I wouldn't make any effort to see it.
I doubt there's much apart from Seagal, anyhow.
andrew
Seagal actually does aikijutsu but hey thats where aikido comes from. Wessley Snipes does some aikido especially in demolition man. surprisingly, watch Bruce Lee closely and you see the odd technique creeping in. Oh, and Nina from tekken 3 as well.

Wes Harris.

Centre, centre, centre.
Old 10-30-2000, 08:19 AM   #4
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
Smile

There is a good "B" movie out there called The Guyver. It's kind of a weird sci-fi flick. They spend a while in an aikido dojo training munetsuki iriminage. (Not to mention you get to see the technique performed later on a dragon-like creature.

Enjoy.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 11-01-2000, 09:54 AM   #5
Paul
Scotland
Seagal does aikijutsu

To uresu I am interested to know how you know Seagal performs aiki-jutsu in his movies. Can you tell me where you got that info . as I would be interested in reading it. Or are you saying that they are aiki-jutsu because they appear violent?

Regards Paul Finn, Edinburgh

Regards Paul Finn
Edinburgh
Old 11-01-2000, 12:40 PM   #6
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
Rising Sun with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes. Micheal Crighton's (sp?) pathetic attempt at imbueing a very Hollywood movie with Japanese cultural overtones.

That aside, Sean Connery's character practices aikdio and actually does a fine tenkan in one of the later fight scenes.

Check it out.
Old 11-01-2000, 04:30 PM   #7
Yayo
Dojo: Albuquerque Shin Budo Kai
movies

If I saw it right, a lady performs an ikkyo from kata tori in the movie The Ninth Gate.
Old 11-02-2000, 01:45 AM   #8
jvdz
Dojo: Yamagata ryu
I saw a part of Police Academy once where a woman demonstrates a very lousy shihonage, not worth watching.

Jan van der Zee
Old 11-02-2000, 04:22 AM   #9
Paul
Scotland
Sean Connery

This probably should be a new thread however you all seem to know your movies, being from Scotland I am obviously a Sean Connery fan, I heard that he practices aikido in the states does anyone know where or with whom?

Regards Paul Finn
Edinburgh

Regards Paul Finn
Edinburgh
Old 11-02-2000, 05:46 AM   #10
leefr
That mention of Nina in Tekken 3 reminded me(if you don't mind my mentioning video games). Many of the reversals in that game, especially against punches, are aikido techniques. Jin's reversals against punches are the tenkan version of ikkyo, very nicely rendered, although he breaks the arm at the end(hey, it's just a game). Another version of ikkyo appears when Jin grabs his opponent from the side(I forget if its the right or left). He does a 'sweeping the floor' ikkyo.

Paul's reversals against punches are also reminiscent of aikido techniques. At close range, he'll move inside the punch and do a roll with the opponent. At a farther range, he'll do a very cool kokyunage with the opponent's arm. Oh, and one of Nina's grabs from the side is a somewhat flimsy version of kaitenage.

You can probably see I used to be nuts about that game. It's aikido outside the dojo, in any case

Frederick Lee
Old 11-02-2000, 07:04 AM   #11
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
Uresu wrote:

Seagal actually does aikijutsu but hey thats where aikido comes from.
No, he does Aikido.
andrew
Old 11-02-2000, 11:19 PM   #12
scubaman57
Dojo: Centerfield Aikido
Cool Earliest Hollywood Aikido.

One of the earliest Aikido demos in an American Produced commercial movie was in the Return of Billy Jack. Billy Jack did TKD but there was an Aikidoist in it also. Back then it was cutting edge ideology
Old 11-03-2000, 03:45 AM   #13
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Earliest Hollywood Aikido.

Quote:
scubaman57 wrote:
One of the earliest Aikido demos in an American Produced commercial movie was in the Return of Billy Jack. Billy Jack did TKD but there was an Aikidoist in it also. Back then it was cutting edge ideology
John MacLaughlin (sp?) who played Billy Jack was actually a Hapkido man. Studied under Joo Bang Lee I believe.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 11-03-2000, 05:17 PM   #14
Elric123
Dojo: None Yet
Aikido Movies

Has anyone seen Steven Segeal's documentary movie listed on his web site?

Whats the deal with all of the Tibetian Budist stuff hes into, anyone know how that got started? I could see Shinto, or something Japaneese, but Tibet...?

The most long winded newbie LOL
Trent Loreant
Old 11-03-2000, 07:58 PM   #15
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
Elric123 said
--------------------------------------
Whats the deal with all of the Tibetian Budist stuff hes into, anyone know how that got started? I could see Shinto, or something Japaneese, but Tibet...?
------------------------------------

(I dunno how to include a quote from someone else so...hehe)

Steven seagal has been into tibetan buddhism for a very long time but has just kept it very quite until recently when he was recognised as the reincarnation of a terton Tulku (a treasure finder), these are people that somehow will come across valuable lost manuscripts or some other important buddhist relic. He was recognised by Penor Rinpoche who is the head of the Nymgmapa lineage which is the oldest school of tibetan buddhism.
So to make it basic, he is a reasonably important figure in Tibetan buddhism.

hehe well there is a little bit of info for you.

damien
Old 11-03-2000, 08:43 PM   #16
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
shadow wrote:

(I dunno how to include a quote from someone else so...hehe)
Look at the very top of this post right next to my name. see the icons on the right side of that line? hold the cursor over them. one of them should say reply with quote. click on it to reply to the post and include a quote. Then cut out all the parts you dont want to quote. Be carefuly not to cut out the html quote, bold and other tags though.

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 11-04-2000, 10:57 PM   #17
Elric123
Dojo: None Yet
WOW!

Damian,
That does sound important, I guess if someone came up to me and said, "Hey your the reincarnation of a very important mystical person," I would be at a loss to argue. LOL

Hey apparently they hid one of those scrolls in the baby sitter. Oops (no offence )

Guess thats a no about his movie though, I'll have to order it and offer a review (Does anyone see how ironic that sounds?).

One of my favs was Matrix, I am starting to see why Neo didnt learn Aikido... The movie would have been over. Hehe...

Trent
Old 11-05-2000, 09:46 PM   #18
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Russ wrote:
Rising Sun with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes. Micheal Crighton's (sp?) pathetic attempt at imbueing a very Hollywood movie with Japanese cultural overtones.

That aside, Sean Connery's character practices aikdio and actually does a fine tenkan in one of the later fight scenes.

Check it out.
Actually, Sean Connery was on the
tonight show a few years ago talking about training with Seagal. It might have been for promoting Rising Sun, but I think his training with Seagal was earlier for the last James Bond movie he did (Never Say Never...).
I remember him saying Seagal had injured his wrist once.

Craig
Old 11-05-2000, 10:29 PM   #19
Shamaz
Dojo: Dojo of Resolution, Ripon, CA
Ki Symbol Movie with Aikido & Sword & Stick

My favorite martial arts movie to date is "The Challenge" with the late Toshiro Mifune & Scott Glenn. Steven Seagal was the "fight scene choreographer."
In Scott Glenn's character's first fighting experience w/ Budo he experiences Kaiten-nage & Iriminage. A later fight scene has him duelling with a senior student with jo. This film also features some bokken training and, of course, fighting with live blades. Also, some humorous moments, some gory moments but the film as a whole was quite enjoyable to this Aikidoist.
Nowadays, I've been trying to get ahold of a film by Ang Lee entitled "Pushing Hands" but it's very rare. This one doesn't feature Aikido but Tai Chi but a reviewer with Journal of Asian Martial Arts rates it his favorite martial arts film.
Old 11-06-2000, 04:28 AM   #20
SmilingNage
United_States
i think u only live twice has some aikido like scenes. its one of the bond movies where he is in japan. there is the scene when connery is on the roof tops down by the wharfs, and it looks like one big ran- dori on top of the building. its pretty cool

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 11-06-2000, 01:53 PM   #21
djleyva
Dojo: Sierra Madre Hapkido Dojang
Re: Earliest Hollywood Aikido.

Quote:
scubaman57 wrote:
Av\ctually billy jack practiced a korean art called hapkido. Master Bong Soo Han was the guy who actuall did the martial arts in Billy Jack. It may look like aikido because the founder of Hapkido was a student of Sokaku Takeda, andso there areobviously manyr principles and techniques shared between Aikido\and Hapkido. The Chinese characters for both arts are even the same.
For more info on hapkido check out http://www.geocities.com/songs_hkd/i...nghapkido.html
Old 11-07-2000, 02:07 PM   #22
sfellwock
Dojo: Silverstrand Dojo
Re: Re: Earliest Hollywood Aikido.

Quote:
John MacLaughlin (sp?) who played Billy Jack was actually a Hapkido man. Studied under Joo Bang Lee I believe.
Actually, [/b]Tom Laughlin[/b] played Billy Jack.

-Steve
Old 11-07-2000, 03:34 PM   #23
cguzik
Re: Aikido Movies

Quote:
Elric123 wrote:
Has anyone seen Steven Segeal's documentary movie listed on his web site?
There actually used to be a review on that video somewhere around here. I just looked but can't seem to find it.

Maybe Jun would be kind enough to point the way?

Chris Guzik

Old 11-07-2000, 03:42 PM   #24
akiy

Re: Re: Aikido Movies

Quote:
cguzik wrote:
There actually used to be a review on that video somewhere around here. I just looked but can't seem to find it.

Maybe Jun would be kind enough to point the way?
Sure:-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-07-2000, 10:36 PM   #25
djleyva
Dojo: Sierra Madre Hapkido Dojang
Re: Re: Earliest Hollywood Aikido.

[/b][/quote]
John MacLaughlin (sp?) who played Billy Jack was actually a Hapkido man. Studied under Joo Bang Lee I believe. [/b][/quote]

Joo Bang Lee is not even a hapkido man. He is the founder of a korean martial art called hwarangdo. Sorry if I seem a little sensitive, but I am a hapkido guy myself.