Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #101
john2054

United Kingdom
Re: Banned from Aikido...

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
There isn't enough data to answer that question, but here are a few questions that may help you formulate a plan of action:
  • Was there any discussion when you got banned, or had there been any discussion leading up to it?
  • Do you understand the reasons why you were banned? Do you agree with it?
  • If you were to go back, what would change in order for you to remain there -- the dojo's rules/expectations, or your behavior? How would this change happen, and are you okay with it?
Was there any discussion when i got banned? no
do i understand thw reasons why i was banned, do i agree with it? Yes becos i broke every rule in the book by saying that i was going to have a street fight with a young woman, whereas aikido is supposed to be non competetive. also because i mentioned that i was once (nearly) charged with attempted rape, always goes down a scorcher. and someone from another club called up my club to complain. but no i dont think this warrants a ban
if i was to go back what would i change? nothing it was and still is a great club. it has all been a big misunderstanding. but for the time being the ban stands.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #102
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
John Robinson wrote: View Post
do i understand thw reasons why i was banned, do i agree with it? Yes becos i broke every rule in the book by saying that i was going to have a street fight with a young woman, whereas aikido is supposed to be non competetive. also because i mentioned that i was once (nearly) charged with attempted rape, always goes down a scorcher. and someone from another club called up my club to complain. but no i dont think this warrants a ban
if i was to go back what would i change? nothing it was and still is a great club. it has all been a big misunderstanding. but for the time being the ban stands.
Generally students have to live up to some standards of character and reputability.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #103
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Cliff Judge wrote: View Post
Generally students have to live up to some standards of character and reputability.
Certainly true at any dojo I would want to be a member of.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #104
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Hello John,

I didn't exactly ask "what would you change" if you went back -- I asked what would change (in the dojo's rules, in your behavior, in whatever) that would allow you to remain there and not simply get banned again. This may be simplistic thinking on my part, but it seems like something would have to change or you'd just get the same outcome again. So, what would change?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #105
Campbell
Dojo: None..Yet
United_States

Quote:
Well between attempting to fight a female and you mentioning you were almost charged with rape I can completely understand a ban. Any other things that you didn't mention that may have contributed to the ban? You have to keep in mind that the instructor has to run a safe dojo so those things are a pretty big deal.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #106
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Before there's too much tarring ;
Quote:
... i mentioned that i was once (nearly) charged with attempted rape, ..:
This can happen to anyone without any blame at all,
don't assume anything about John from it, least of all 'bad character'.
(Unfortunately people just 'knee-jerk' their way through the internet)
Old 02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #107
Cliff Judge
Japan

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Before there's too much tarring ;

This can happen to anyone without any blame at all,
don't assume anything about John from it, least of all 'bad character'.
(Unfortunately people just 'knee-jerk' their way through the internet)
Well, throw in a bit of a cheeky attitude about it, warnings from other dojos, and possibly even threatening female members of the dojo with bodily assault and you're well out of knee-jerk territory.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #108
BJohnston
United_States

Quote:
This all sounds like an Andy Kaufman joke.

B
Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #109
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Barry Johnston wrote: View Post
This all sounds like an Andy Kaufman joke.

B

Janet Rosen
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #110
john2054

United Kingdom

OKay I've been banned for a year. What would change? To allow me to go back? Well I need to let a year pass, and get some medical letters then i should be alright.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #111
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
OKay I've been banned for a year. What would change? To allow me to go back? Well I need to let a year pass, and get some medical letters then i should be alright.
I would suggest keeping the lines of communication open with your sensei while you are out of the dojo. Keep him informed of the actual steps you are actually taking to fix the problems that actually got you bounced.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #112
john2054

United Kingdom
Freaky! Re: Banned from Aikido...

Over a year later. But my 'style' must be pretty lethal seeing as the police and security services have to keep a close watch on my every move. Between friends my style has a name, but it borrows that name from another style. And so in font of confusing the two, we can stick with Budo as the generic term for the time being. And if any of you want to know more about 'this style' I suggest you go and ask YOUR senseis about it, because this one here is done.

PS with regards to my mental health/psychiatric problems, i think this is the reason why i have been unable to train. People don't like things they don't understand, and most martial arts people don't understand psychosis, not at all. Only people with some real insight/experience in to this problem have any true understanding there/ And you would think that people involved with this as their profession, would be the experts, but sadly it is my experience that these are, more often than not, the furtherest from the truth as anyone. Their paid job role prevents them, alongside unspoken cultural stigma, from properly engaging with these cases. So when it is realised that there are a lot of things wrong with society, from non academics lying on their job applications to get university grade jobs, and so on.

I could go on, and drown out this forum. Finally one more thing, somebody on here told me something i said, 'was not' Aikido? Really? Maybe it doesn't fit to the way he has learnt akikido, but as a spiritual pursuit my martial art, Aikido, incorporates everything under the sun. including attacks. that will just give me one more advantage than you when we finally meet on a street corner one of these nights!

John.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #113
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

You might check out the thread "Will Aikido Training Protect Me In Jail?". Actually pretty good advice, but I hope you won't ever need it.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 06-26-2015, 03:28 AM   #114
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Wow just wow - is this a hoax.

If there is any hint of real danger to club members this is it.

Last edited by PeterR : 06-26-2015 at 03:31 AM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 AM   #115
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Wow just wow - is this a hoax.

If there is any hint of real danger to club members this is it.
Peter

If you read ` John 2054 ` last comment on the thread `` How to deal with irritating partners `` - you may want to add another couple of ` wows `.

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido `
http://kazuo-chiba-sensei.blogspot.com/
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #116
PeterR

Japan

Years ago - literally within 2 weeks of opening up my first club I had one person show up (and I swear this is true) waving a little red book and loudly proclaiming what I was doing was not Aikido. Shades of Mao I know but it was actually John Steven's collection of Doka.

This and the other post remind me of this - persons loudly declaring that only they understand what aikido is all about and in Japan they do .......

Red book boy was annoying but hardly dangerous especially since no one admitted to ever having him attend class. However getting someone with that level of delusion, especially of an aggressive bent, on the mat is foolhardy at best.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #117
crbateman

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Red book boy was annoying but hardly dangerous especially since no one admitted to ever having him attend class. However getting someone with that level of delusion, especially of an aggressive bent, on the mat is foolhardy at best.
People who THINK they know everything about budo are a constant source of annoyance for people like me who actually DO know everything...
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #118
PeterR

Japan
Talking Re: Banned from Aikido...

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
People who THINK they know everything about budo are a constant source of annoyance for people like me who actually DO know everything...

Old 06-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #119
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Over a year later. But my 'style' must be pretty lethal seeing as the police and security services have to keep a close watch on my every move. Between friends my style has a name, but it borrows that name from another style. And so in font of confusing the two, we can stick with Budo as the generic term for the time being. And if any of you want to know more about 'this style' I suggest you go and ask YOUR senseis about it, because this one here is done.

PS with regards to my mental health/psychiatric problems, i think this is the reason why i have been unable to train. People don't like things they don't understand, and most martial arts people don't understand psychosis, not at all. Only people with some real insight/experience in to this problem have any true understanding there/ And you would think that people involved with this as their profession, would be the experts, but sadly it is my experience that these are, more often than not, the furtherest from the truth as anyone. Their paid job role prevents them, alongside unspoken cultural stigma, from properly engaging with these cases. So when it is realised that there are a lot of things wrong with society, from non academics lying on their job applications to get university grade jobs, and so on.

I could go on, and drown out this forum. Finally one more thing, somebody on here told me something i said, 'was not' Aikido? Really? Maybe it doesn't fit to the way he has learnt akikido, but as a spiritual pursuit my martial art, Aikido, incorporates everything under the sun. including attacks. that will just give me one more advantage than you when we finally meet on a street corner one of these nights!

John.
Dear John,
Have you considered the possibility that the reason [assuming your comments are genuine] that the police and the security services are keeping a watchful eye on you is related not to you aikido lethal? skills but more towards the fact that you have mental health issues?As for mental health issues I am pretty familiar with this terrible illness.I do hope your condition improves.Cheers. Joe.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #120
john2054

United Kingdom

Hi people. Well i am two years cohabiting and four years in my degree, with a year left to go. As to the aikido ban, I am still grappling with that one. And as for my mental health, yes i've got issues. Three weeks ago i actually went down to Roehampton university london, for a day long conference on the subject. And vips such as Robert Whittaker and Peter Breggin spoke at this event.

Oh yeah and i am not a troll.

See you on the other side (quote from the new call of duty game).

John Robinson
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #121
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Hi people. Well i am two years cohabiting and four years in my degree, with a year left to go. As to the aikido ban, I am still grappling with that one. And as for my mental health, yes i've got issues. Three weeks ago i actually went down to Roehampton university london, for a day long conference on the subject. And vips such as Robert Whittaker and Peter Breggin spoke at this event.

Oh yeah and i am not a troll.

See you on the other side (quote from the new call of duty game).

John Robinson
Good to hear from you, John. Don't sweat the aikido thing for now...keep working on getting your academic/professional and overall personal life where you want it to be...the aikido will be waiting for you.

Janet Rosen
Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #122
john2054

United Kingdom

Thanks Janet. I still love Aikido, but my last four years at university have been difficult at the best of times. I read a facebook article today on martial artists, it said that the litmus test of a 'true' martial artist is the ability to stay calm under the heat of the fire. But just because i have an affective (emotional) personality doesn't mean that i can't do martial arts does it.

If I was really serious about it, I could go to this new club I have found and take the two medical letters i have had done (one from the orthopaedic consultant, and the other from my gp about my breathing). However i would still like to return to my old club, for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else. And they have told me i need a psychiatric letter. Hopefully I should be seeing my psychiatrist in the next few weeks or so, and i can ask him to do this then, and assuming he agrees to write it, then i will have more fuel to throw on the fire, whichever way i turn.

But you know, i will also have to find time for class, to train. Which despite only being a couple of hours or so a week, is still a work chunk taken out of my university studies. Which being in their final year is now really a make or break point. What do you think? x
Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #123
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Hi John
Firstly I agree with Janet's comment.
I have read your earlier messages and it appears you have many issues to deal with, I believe you seriously need to prioritise these issues - your family comes first - your university studies second and Aikido way behind - next - I don't know you old dojo or teachers, but I believe you have gone beyond the forgive and make up with you old dojo.
You seriously need to move on to another dojo, confide in the next teacher that you need help and support and understanding.
I wish you good fortune.

Henry Ellis

Co-author of `Positive Aikido`

http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #124
earnest aikidoka
Singapore

Quote:
Brandon Coker wrote: View Post
Ok so I have a quick question.

How do two people fight using aikido? I see a lot of people saying that "I see nothing wrong with letting them test each other" and stuff like that but doesn't someone have to be the aggressor?

Didn't Morihei Ueshiba make Aikido to not have attacks?

So how would this fight take place....a staring contest? I don't get it...
That was why most of the old masters went out to pick fights. They could not fight each other, like karateka could, for example.

Furthermore, fighting then and fighting now is quite different, or not what you think it means. Read the biography of Gozo Shioda sensei for example, and you can see that most of his fights are brawls involving weapons and multiple opponents, in bars or on streets. Different from what people would think of fighting today, which is with gloves and in relatively controlled and regulated environments or situations. So it was less fighting in Shioda Sensei's time as it was street violence and assault.

Look up videos by one Nick Drossos. You should get an idea of what 'fighting' would have been like back then.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:36 AM   #125
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Hi John
Firstly I agree with Janet's comment.
I have read your earlier messages and it appears you have many issues to deal with, I believe you seriously need to prioritise these issues - your family comes first - your university studies second and Aikido way behind - next - I don't know you old dojo or teachers, but I believe you have gone beyond the forgive and make up with you old dojo.
You seriously need to move on to another dojo, confide in the next teacher that you need help and support and understanding.
I wish you good fortune.

Henry Ellis

Co-author of `Positive Aikido`

http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
Yes, priorities always family and school first.
So long as you frame the dojo issue as one of adding fuel to a fire rather than achieving a harmonious outcome, you set yourself up for ongoing problems. And nostalgia is essentially worthless, it saps energy and prevents forward movement.
Once you have successfully completed university, investigate options for a new beginning in a new dojo. That's the best advice this middle aged aikidoka can offer.

Janet Rosen