Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States
Aikido as Living Prayer or Love kicks #$$

People who come to aikido have had many different experiences. My experience has included the realization that Aikido gives my spirituality a language and an expression. The longer I practice, the more true this has become. All the while my spirit has grown and bent and swayed and I find more and more evidence that this art is my living prayer.
The following is an exerpt from a lecture by O'Sensei:

Prayers are also born in the form of martial art techniques when coming into existence. Prayers themselves should without exception be martial arts. Moreover, prayers themselves must also actually purify this world. That is to say, prayers themselves are the same as the execution of martial arts. Thus, those who have faith in God like you (addressing the Byakko Shinko Kai audience) truly need to study martial arts. This is because one is not able to master takemusu aiki without having the virtue of faith, meaning that the practice and execution of aiki lies in learning from the manifestation of the Great God, the Source of True Love and True Faith, under the Great Spirit of Loving Protection of all nature; that is, it lies in working for Izunome with the virtue of faith.

What experiences have you had with spirit/prayer in the context of martial technique?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Re: Aikido as Living Prayer or Love kicks #$$

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
People who come to aikido have had many different experiences. My experience has included the realization that Aikido gives my spirituality a language and an expression. The longer I practice, the more true this has become. All the while my spirit has grown and bent and swayed and I find more and more evidence that this art is my living prayer.
The following is an exerpt from a lecture by O'Sensei:

Prayers are also born in the form of martial art techniques when coming into existence. Prayers themselves should without exception be martial arts. Moreover, prayers themselves must also actually purify this world. That is to say, prayers themselves are the same as the execution of martial arts. Thus, those who have faith in God like you (addressing the Byakko Shinko Kai audience) truly need to study martial arts. This is because one is not able to master takemusu aiki without having the virtue of faith, meaning that the practice and execution of aiki lies in learning from the manifestation of the Great God, the Source of True Love and True Faith, under the Great Spirit of Loving Protection of all nature; that is, it lies in working for Izunome with the virtue of faith.

What experiences have you had with spirit/prayer in the context of martial technique?
I have had the true content of my life's mission revealed. The first time I found myself face to face with the mat not knowing how I got there, was probably most likely like the same experience I had being born in the first place.

In gassho

Mark
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
jennifer paige smith

United_States

In what way did you respond to that feeling, if I may ask?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

I responded in my head with the sudden thought: "this is aikido", and I was amazed.

In gassho,

Mark
Old 04-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
jennifer paige smith

United_States

Please see the related thread Is aikido a spirtual practice? It has got some good conversation going on this topic.