Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #1
Eric Jones
I never use wrist techniques

I noticed I never use wrist techniques. I'm more likely to use udegaeshi than kotegaeshi. I just thought that was strange since Aikido is famous for it's wrist techniques.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
PuppyDoggie
Canada
Re: I never use wrist techniques

That might just be a personal preference. I noticed I used to sometimes slip up into nikkyo. I rarely if ever ever end up using other wrist technique like kotegaeshi or arm locks like udegaeshi but udegaeshi is nice to know if nikkyo fails
Old 03-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
shizentai
United_States

In emptyhand context, most wrist control techniques are low-percentage.This is in part why Aikido is not considered to be a particularly practical system for modern-day self-defense.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
Eric Jones

Quote:
Aleksey Nikolaevich wrote: View Post
In emptyhand context, most wrist control techniques are low-percentage.This is in part why Aikido is not considered to be a particularly practical system for modern-day self-defense.
I never thought of wrist techniques to be ineffective. I just never use them in randori or competition. Usually I use elbow techniques or atemi waza. I've had shihonage used effective on me in randori. Shihonage is really a wrist technique.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
shizentai
United_States

Quote:
Eric Jones wrote: View Post
I never thought of wrist techniques to be ineffective. I just never use them in randori or competition. Usually I use elbow techniques or atemi waza. I've had shihonage used effective on me in randori. Shihonage is really a wrist technique.
You have many ideas that would be sorted out by one sparring session with a Judoka.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Eric Jones

I've used Tomiki against people in Judo randori for shits and giggles. Even yudansha. What's your point?

Last edited by Eric Jones : 04-02-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
PeteDiscenza
Dojo: Twin Cities Aikido Center, St Paul MN
United_States

One of our club members attended a seminar and watched a sandan test, supervised by Saotome sensei. For the randori portion, the woman did no techniques but simply evaded all attacks. The shihan stood up and applauded. Most took this to be a good sign for her test results.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #8
shizentai
United_States

Quote:
I've used Tomiki against people in Judo randori for shits and giggles. Even yudansha. What's your point?
Are you claiming that you've taken down Judo black belts with wristlocks?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
Eric Jones

The point of this entire thread is that I never use wristlocks even though I'm an Aikido practioner. So to answer your question no I haven't. But I've used udegaeshi against them which is a elbow technique but it's similar to kotegaeshi which is a wrist technique. What was your point in saying
Quote:
Aleksey Nikolaevich wrote: View Post
You have many ideas that would be sorted out by one sparring session with a Judoka.
I've said many times that I don't use wrist techniques so what are you trying to say?
Old 04-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Could you give this some context? Do you mean in randori?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 04-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
Eric Jones

Sorry I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I'm trying to say I never use wrist techniques in randori.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #12
Mary Eastland

what do you do when uke grabs your wrist or wrists?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 04-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #13
Eric Jones

In randori or competition they usually grab my wrist to do a technique so I basically just counter whatever technique they're trying to use with a technique that's usually not a wrist technique.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #14
Eric Jones

For example I'll counter kotegaeshi by using wakigatame. I think wakigatame is called Rokkyo in main aikido styles. Sorry I forgot how to edit my post. Actually is there a time limit? I'm able to edit this post just fine just not my previous one.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #15
Mary Eastland

Can you tell me more about your process. I am wondering why you limit yourself in your responses?

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 04-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #16
Eric Jones

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean. What are you trying to get me to explain? What do you mean by "your process" and what do you mean by "limit yourself in your responses."
Old 04-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #17
BoyntonSteve
United_States

Hi Eric!

Quote:
Shihonage is really a wrist technique.
For me, shihonage is a shoulder OR an elbow OR a wrist technique. Body position and the directional torque I put on my partner's arm can affect any of those joints.

Steve

Last edited by akiy : 04-29-2021 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 04-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
Eric Jones

Hey Steve. I consider shihonage a wrist technique because you're attacking the wrist to control their body. Even though you're affecting the shoulder and elbow you're still using the wrist to affect them.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
Mary Eastland

Attacking the wrist? Controlling the body? To me, it feels like leading uke's body around mine in a circle of energy.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 05-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
Eric Jones

All martial art techniques work in a biomechanical way. Biomechanically speaking you're attacking the wrist in shihonage.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #21
Mary Eastland

Language matters so much though. So I would never say it that way.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 05-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
All martial art techniques work in a biomechanical way. Biomechanically speaking you're attacking the wrist in shihonage.
I think biomechanically (in a way that relates to the mechanical laws concerning the movement or structure of living organisms.) it attacks the center through the connection point, which can be the wrist. I'm guessing it could just as well be the elbow as the wrist.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-20-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 05-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #23
Eric Jones

Ikkyo and rokyo are elbow techniques. Kotegaeshi and shihonage are wrist techniques.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #24
earnest aikidoka
Singapore

The wrist techniques are just techniques. You can use them, or you won't. That's not where the Aiki or Aikido is anyway.

Aiki is in the flow between the grab and the resolution of the encounter which ends, in training, in the wrist technique. A wrist technique that could easily be an Atemi instead.

Better to focus on refining your sensitivity to the flow of Ki from the grab to the resolution. The wrist technique just ends the flow.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
Setok
Dojo: Ryushinkan / Rajamäki | Sasuga Daito Ryu / Helsinki
Finland

Quote:
Ikkyo and rokyo are elbow techniques. Kotegaeshi and shihonage are wrist techniques.
I would beg to differ on shihonage. I'd argue that very much is an elbow technique. At the very least it can be executed that way. In its most powerful form I feel my elbow is locked from the very beginning, all the way to the final throw with my body completely off balance at that point. I've also felt it executed as a much lighter version that results in me moving one way (forwards), while the twirl and behind-shoulder throw unbalances my top part. Both seem to work if done well.

But I don't think I've ever felt a functional shihonage be a wrist technique. More like if it becomes wrist banging at the end, that means nage hasn't unbalanced me and feels they need to hammer the wrist to get me down.