Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #26
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: What's in a yonkyo?

Nerve pinching can not be the only thing in a yonkyo. I am one of those people whose nerve is very hard to get yet there is still enough in the technique to unbalance me and take me to the mat.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #27
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Personally, I like to use both the mechanical and the pressure point only I add a complex torque to the wrist to accentuate access to the nerve either via a sankyo or mawashi wrist bend. This seems to expose the nerve or bone-whatever hurts by moving some of the tendons out of the way.
The idea is to pinch the radial nerve against the radius at one of the "access" points...

Ignatius
Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #28
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
... He showed me how to gain control and cut the person down by using the "sword cutting version" first.
In addition, I might add, you really need to do a lot of Bokken cuts and "ringing" the Bokken handle at the end of your cut. This will give power to the point on your hand that actually applies pressure to the radius bones. People who don't practice weapons generally do not have proper grip for this technique.
Good point.
I have only ever seen this Yonkyo type technique in Aikido, and in my opinion it comes from sword training ... almost as if someone with a strong sword cutting technique once tried it on an arm and got good results . "Hey this works!".
Sword cutting practice can give surprising strength for this one technique.

(Caveat : I practice cutting, but I'd still avoid trying Yonkyo in a real fight : I just don't trust it to work)