Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #51
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Ground Defense

Quote:
Brian Northrup wrote: View Post
. And no offense but we all know that those rape self defense courses are not very good.
out of interest brian what do you think makes the rape defence courses not very good? Just curious.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 12-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
RED
United_States

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
Well, in the end, that was wat O' Sensei and his uchi deshi trained for. They were the kind of people who could beat someone in a fight. Some of them, like Gozo Shioda shihan, were badasses. They were people who tested what they learnt by picking fights. Martial art actually means the Art of War, so if you say that you're training a martial art, it's rather normal to assume that you are preparing yourself to be able to deal with a possible assailant.
I probably am training myself to deal with a possible assailant in the end... that's just not my intent going into training.
I do Aikido for Aikido's sake... if that makes me ready to defend myself, its a great outcome of my intent.

MM
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #53
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Comparing Budo and Sports is not the wisest argument here. Also, please take a look at the pictures featuring O Sensei doing newaza, shimewaza, etc...
He also did sumo at a point in his life, a soldier, a stationary store owner, and he was also a Shinto priest. Should we all do that in order to be good Aikido practitioner, too?

Given his Sumo and jujutsu background, I am not surprised that he did it at one time, but I don't think that it is Aikido. O'Sensei studied under a couple different teachers in his time, so did ground work... nothing stuck past the war by any accounts I have ever heard.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #54
RED
United_States

Sport to Budo isn't the worse comparison actually. Not at least, when this entire thread is bringing in BJJ and MAA, which are sports.
If you can make a comparison between non-competitive martial training, and competitive, then why not sports be a good argument?

MM
Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #55
Ryan Seznee
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Since when looking for information in a public website is considered "stalking"? Oh, yes. Since they don't agree with your opinions. That's the passive-aggressive behavior of the typical aikiflower.
Why do you hate women? That was the most sexist statement I have ever heard.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #56
RED
United_States

I refrain to the 'meat head' comment.Not in reference to anyone present. I was inference to someone who had chased down my personal info on here through my dojo's site, to send me personal email to my personal email account that were extremely sexist and threatening. Thus, they were being a "meat head" expelling how they could beat me up and how they were better than me... I blocked them lol

MM
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #57
akiy

Can people please stop with the personal discussion and get back to the subject at hand?

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #58
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
...chased down my personal info on here through my dojo's site, to send me personal email to my personal email account that were extremely sexist and threatening. Thus, they were being a "meat head" expelling how they could beat me up and how they were better than me...
wow...

gandhi said "It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."

anyways, back on topic, mag, yup, you 'shouldn't' end up on the ground, but it is important to know what to do if you end up there. aikido is a long road. until i'm that confident that i won't end up on the ground, i'll keep doing some ground defense :P

practice hard
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #59
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
out of interest brian what do you think makes the rape defence courses not very good? Just curious.
I could rant about this all day long. Maybe Don will chime in as well as I believe he holds the same philosophy I do on this.

The average rape and/or "quickie SD" course for women really don't teach them much about what really happens in these situations.

What needs to happen is a bunch of stuff on situational awareness and risk mitigation. How to walk through parking lots, awareness of the space around you, don't walk alone and all that stuff. The classes should also address the psychological issues of Rape/Car Jacking etc. Alot of this stuff would scare the pants off of someone and not leaving them feeling very good about what they are going to face.

Once you get into the physical aspect, you need to replicate the environment. Gettting pushed into a vehicle, getting raped in a vehicle, how to escape, how to defend yourself. Dealing with being pinned between vehicles, the fact when you do the foot stomp, groin strike...you better have a back up plan on how you are gonna out run him cause he is going to be very pissed now and is going to do some serious harm. How to deal with "after the rape". How to escape while he is raping you...all that stuff.

It is some seriously heady stuff that gets emotional and can scare normal, everyday women away from even wanting to train in the seminar cause the training itself I think should be down right abusive in a controlled manner in order to take them to the state of adrenal response/overload.

So, IMO, it is not something that can be taught in a few hour seminar other than "Self Defense" mitigation or SD risk management concepts. If you are going to deal with this comprehensively and physically, it has to get tough and serious.

Frankly, I am not a psychologist or a therapist so don't feel comfortable teaching a "quicky class" that would be this intense.

What I have done, and will do for women that are interested is spend time teaching them the fundamentals of Ground fighting, clinching, escaping the mount, side control etc. Things they will experience in a rape or SD situation when they are fighitng someone that is bigger than them. If they are interested in really learning this stuff, it is best done slowly over time with increasing combat pressure that matches what their skills and abilities can handle. As they master the basic and fundamental skills, there ability to handle stress/adrenal overload increases as their confidence increases.

But, alas, this is no different than how you teach any decent BJJ class! lol!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #60
Ryan Seznee
United_States

"I do not fear a man that has practiced 1000 kicks once, but I do the man who has practiced 1 kick 1000 times." -Bruce Lee

In my mind, since no one realistically has 10 hours a day to train in hand to hand combat (unless you are a professional fighter of some sort) there will be some holes in your defense. I can ether me mediocre in ground work, standing throws, kicks, punches, and weapons work by taking on the top 7 martial arts of the time, or I can commit myself to one to be good at. I have known too many people that are trying to be some kind of invincible super warrior in their persecutes of martial arts who have just been left by the way side in all aspects of their training because they don't have enough time or energy to pursue all of their goals at once. Whatever you decide to do, do it well and good things will happen

Only empty cups can be filled.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #61
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I could rant about this all day long. Maybe Don will chime in as well as I believe he holds the same philosophy I do on this.

The average rape and/or "quickie SD" course for women really don't teach them much about what really happens in these situations.

What needs to happen is a bunch of stuff on situational awareness and risk mitigation. How to walk through parking lots, awareness of the space around you, don't walk alone and all that stuff. The classes should also address the psychological issues of Rape/Car Jacking etc. Alot of this stuff would scare the pants off of someone and not leaving them feeling very good about what they are going to face.

Once you get into the physical aspect, you need to replicate the environment. Gettting pushed into a vehicle, getting raped in a vehicle, how to escape, how to defend yourself. Dealing with being pinned between vehicles, the fact when you do the foot stomp, groin strike...you better have a back up plan on how you are gonna out run him cause he is going to be very pissed now and is going to do some serious harm. How to deal with "after the rape". How to escape while he is raping you...all that stuff.

It is some seriously heady stuff that gets emotional and can scare normal, everyday women away from even wanting to train in the seminar cause the training itself I think should be down right abusive in a controlled manner in order to take them to the state of adrenal response/overload.

So, IMO, it is not something that can be taught in a few hour seminar other than "Self Defense" mitigation or SD risk management concepts. If you are going to deal with this comprehensively and physically, it has to get tough and serious.

Frankly, I am not a psychologist or a therapist so don't feel comfortable teaching a "quicky class" that would be this intense.

What I have done, and will do for women that are interested is spend time teaching them the fundamentals of Ground fighting, clinching, escaping the mount, side control etc. Things they will experience in a rape or SD situation when they are fighitng someone that is bigger than them. If they are interested in really learning this stuff, it is best done slowly over time with increasing combat pressure that matches what their skills and abilities can handle. As they master the basic and fundamental skills, there ability to handle stress/adrenal overload increases as their confidence increases.

I think you covered it fairly well. Self defense class instructors are basically pulling the same bull as those 'defeat any man' ads you see online. It's a feel good ploy, nothing more. You can yell "That's my purse" and kick a dummy in the groin all you want, it's not going to do a damn thing to improve your ability to defend yourself.

What is required is exactly what you posted above, basically a full time study dedicated to the situation with drills, pressure testing, and increasing resistance. Instead what they get is a few hours (if they are lucky) of some guy teaching weak ass wrist grab escapes, eye rakes, and groin kicks.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #62
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Ryan you bring up a very good point about priorities and tradeoffs. That is the big thing we face in our training, there are only so many hours in the day, week, month, year to train so we have to decide what is the best use of our time.

Most of us got involved in our martial practices mainly because of affinity or proximity. that is, we knew someone that was studying X so we went with them to the dojo, or we were familiar with it from the media (affinity). Or it happened to be close by or available (proximity).

Very few, I believe, actually go into a practice definitively knowing the endstate of what they want and how to get to that endstate in martial arts. Especially the more esoteric arts (non-sport based).

So whatever is being taught is what is being taught and that is what we study and how we begin to form our "Martial Paradigm".

That is all fine and good until we meet something or someone that brings a different set of rules, assumptions, parameters to us and it does not work well with that paradigm, or we can't figure out how to solve the particular problem that it creates. This dissonance is really what we focus on alot here on Aikiweb and many instructors/sensei/shihan are not always able to handle our dissonance very well for us for a number of reasons. (ability, time, access).

Anyway, so everything is a trade off for sure. I think the best we can hope for is to try and understand what our own priorities are and understand our own shortfalls and either accept them or go figure out how to fix them. Too many folks I run into are not honest with themselves in this respect or they most likely are not really sure how to deal with the conflict that is created in this area.

While Maggie S and I don't share the same goals in our training from reading her post, I appreciate her response to the question about why she does aikido and frankly I am okay with that as it appears she understands why she is studying it. I think we could train together just fine even though we may have different end states. Maybe not just all the time since our goals would be different.

So I agree Ryan, there seems to be alot of guys out there trying to be super warriors and really driving themselves nuts in the process since father time will probably beat them up and submit them way before they reach their goal of "super warrior".

In my mid forties now I see that father time has picked up his training pace and I have to figure out new ways to be clever to beat his ass since the same linear path of train longer hours and harder will not work!

Anyway...good stuff and I agree!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #63
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I think you covered it fairly well. Self defense class instructors are basically pulling the same bull as those 'defeat any man' ads you see online. It's a feel good ploy, nothing more. You can yell "That's my purse" and kick a dummy in the groin all you want, it's not going to do a damn thing to improve your ability to defend yourself.

What is required is exactly what you posted above, basically a full time study dedicated to the situation with drills, pressure testing, and increasing resistance. Instead what they get is a few hours (if they are lucky) of some guy teaching weak ass wrist grab escapes, eye rakes, and groin kicks.
The other thing too I think is that Women's SD training must become personal. That is, every woman is different and has different things that make her tick, different triggers, responses, fears etc. So a "one size fits all" approach to SD just doesn't work IMO.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #64
RED
United_States

Quote:

I took a course that as required as a pre-rec for a ministry degree. I was entering the mission field. I'm not sure how effective it was, but they wouldn't let me enter certain areas of Brazil without it. Then again, being 5'3", 'm not sure if there is a lot I could of done at that point if I was isolated and ganged up on in a 3rd world village.
I don't personally trust my ability to defend myself for real in any sense technically. Its not a confidence problem. I'd most likely die trying to take the guys heart out with my hands... but I would still most likely die. I'm not buff.

I took a total of 1 BJJ class, I trained with the only girl in the class, an I was way out of her weight class, and there was no one else there that could train with me, so guess that wasn't gonna work out.

MM
Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #65
RED
United_States

Quote:
While Maggie S and I don't share the same goals in our training from reading her post, I appreciate her response to the question about why she does aikido and frankly I am okay with that as it appears she understands why she is studying it. I think we could train together just fine even though we may have different end states. Maybe not just all the time since our goals would be different.
Yeah, I probably couldn't help you learn to fend off any real attack. (especially considering I'm tiny, and can't hit very strong.) But I'd be as giddy as a school girl to let you practice hip throws on me. Happiness is being thrown, and vise versa.

MM
Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #66
Brian Gillaspie

Dojo: School of Martial and Meditative Arts
United_States

I've been around Aikiweb for a while but really haven't posted much and then I start this thread and look what happens.

I believe O'Sensei said to train joyfully (not sure of his exact words) so if you don't like BJJ, Aikido, basketball, painting, or whatever else then I don't think you should do it.

Life is short so do what it takes to be happy. If you don't do groundwork in your Aikido and that makes you happy then that is ok with me. If you do groundwork in your Aikido and that makes you happy then that is also ok with me.

Maybe if I keep posting enough I'll actually be able to post some great comments like Kevin, Don, and all of the other regulars on here instead of starting international arguments.

Happy holidays everyone!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #67
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Tachi waza, hanmi handachi waza, suwari waza, ne waza... what's the (real) difference?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #68
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Tachi waza, hanmi handachi waza, suwari waza, ne waza... what's the (real) difference?
Sabaki.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #69
Stormcrow34
Dojo: Yoseikan Budo
United_States

Quote:

I took a total of 1 BJJ class, I trained with the only girl in the class, an I was way out of her weight class, and there was no one else there that could train with me, so guess that wasn't gonna work out.
Why not train with the guys????
Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #70
RED
United_States

Quote:
Michael Crowell wrote: View Post
I was pointed towards the girl, and she was my only partner, even as others changed partners for like an hour and a half. Not sure really though. Maybe they wanted us to be close in weight class? Maybe they didn't want sweaty dudes feeling all over a girl? Or, maybe they weren't really interested in keeping me as a student? Or a mixture?
They were kind to me over all however.

Last edited by RED : 12-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.

MM
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #71
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Yea, we just mix the girls in with the guys. Most can't cut it. The ones that do however become nothing to trifle with.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 12-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #72
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote:
I trained with the only girl in the class, an I was way out of her weight class, and there was no one else there that could train with me, so guess that wasn't gonna work out.
When I used to train BJJ (can't believe it's been almost 8 years), we were encouraged to change partners throughout the "rolling" portion of class. I noticed a strong tendency of students to stick within their "weight class" and sex.

I don't like this approach to training, so I would always roll with the heavy weights, the women and even the one kid in our class. I think it makes you better.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 12-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #73
Stormcrow34
Dojo: Yoseikan Budo
United_States

Quote:
I was pointed towards the girl, and she was my only partner, even as others changed partners for like an hour and a half. Not sure really though. Maybe they wanted us to be close in weight class? Maybe they didn't want sweaty dudes feeling all over a girl? Or, maybe they weren't really interested in keeping me as a student? Or a mixture?
They were kind to me over all however.
Was this in Jacksonville? I can point you in the direction of a good GJJ school up there if you're interested.

When I train in GJJ there is often a female or two in class which is great! Women benefit from this training as much as anyone else. And sure there are some guys that shy away from training with the ladies because the guard can be awkward....if that's how you want to look at it....but that isn't how it should be viewed...and is a bit juvenile, IMO. But it was probably because you were new, they weren't sure how you would react to training with the guys. Could have been you and the other girl were both new?

I agree 100% with Mr. Varin. Training with different body types, especially larger and stronger, is very important and forces you to focus on proper technique and principles.

Last edited by Stormcrow34 : 12-24-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #74
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

I know this seems obvious to most, but you have to seek out different training partners and work on different things with each of them.

One of the joys I have learned in the last year as I mature in BJJ is that each person you train with has a different blueprint and you have to read that blue print and determine what value in training you can get from that person..or if you are way better than them, out weigh them, out class they...whatever...what can you transmit or offer to them in a way that they can learn from you.

No different than AIkido, it is just that I think in BJJ for most, it is less noticeable in the beginning since we spend the first couple of years in training just simply surviving the practice and learning the basics.

Blue belts are also a big part of the problem in BJJ. When most people talk about BJJ I ask who they learned that from or what belt they are. Usually it is a blue belt. sigh.

Blue belts are like new brown belts or shodans in aikido. They know enough to be dangerous and yet not enough yet to demonstrate or teach well! The problem is that they actually have alot of proficiency martially and can spank the average person in grappling. Given the fact that BJJ is young in the US, given the fact that you can get to Blue Belt in about 24 to 36 months...there are alot of Blue Belts runnning around espousing BJJ in the 20 to 30 years of age bracket.

Most of these blue belts also are enamored with competition success and rely on a great deal of physical stamina and athletic proweness and their game and technics are not fully developed in depth and breadth...they simply have developed skills good enough to defeat other blue belts!

Okay, so enough on that.

So, Blue belts that fill the dojo will typically gravitate towards people of their own size and liking...that will reinforce their egos etc. They are not in the sharing mode too often either, so females in the dojo will typically be shunned since these guys are in the "take" mode vice the "give" mode.

Then there is always a chance that a girl will make them look bad!

I know one in particular that I have trained with that I LOVE to bring in and own all the guys...including me!

Anyway, dojos are dojos...and there will always be the same issues in getting people to work together.

Weight and size are a big factor in martial success. In BJJ this is very evident and honest.

I think it is a blessing and a curse at the same time that aikido waza de-emphasizes these factors. On one had it allows people to train together regardless of size and it opens up communication channels. On the other hand, it can give a unrealistic perspective martially on the relative value of weight/size/strength in fighting.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #75
RED
United_States

Quote:
Was this in Jacksonville? I can point you in the direction of a good GJJ school up there if you're interested.

When I train in GJJ there is often a female or two in class which is great! Women benefit from this training as much as anyone else. And sure there are some guys that shy away from training with the ladies because the guard can be awkward....if that's how you want to look at it....but that isn't how it should be viewed...and is a bit juvenile, IMO. But it was probably because you were new, they weren't sure how you would react to training with the guys. Could have been you and the other girl were both new?

I agree 100% with Mr. Varin. Training with different body types, especially larger and stronger, is very important and forces you to focus on proper technique and principles.
It was over in Orange Park I took that class. A Mr. Smiley's class.

MM