Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-23-2022, 08:17 AM   #26
Setok
Dojo: Ryushinkan / Rajamäki | Sasuga Daito Ryu / Helsinki
Finland
Re: Return of the hemp gi?

Have there been any more people with experiences on the jenddesigns gi or hakama? The site doesn't have very many pictures. I'm intrigued by hemp as a fabric for both. From the few images there the gis seem perhaps a bit too soft and unkept for would I'd consider optimal, so maybe not 'seminar smart', but perhaps OK for regular training. The hakama pictures are small enough to make it difficult to really get a feel for them.

Considering the properties of hemp, I feel it would be quite optimal for at least hakama. Indeed, it is much more historically true than cotton.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #27
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Kristoffer Lawson wrote: View Post
Have there been any more people with experiences on the jenddesigns gi or hakama? The site doesn't have very many pictures. I'm intrigued by hemp as a fabric for both. From the few images there the gis seem perhaps a bit too soft and unkept for would I'd consider optimal, so maybe not 'seminar smart', but perhaps OK for regular training. The hakama pictures are small enough to make it difficult to really get a feel for them.

Considering the properties of hemp, I feel it would be quite optimal for at least hakama. Indeed, it is much more historically true than cotton.
Hemp's drape is not suitable for the crisp pleats required for a hakama. Yes, as a keikogi top it can be a little unkempt but easily addressed by the upper chest and waist"modesty ties" sometimes seen on womens keikogi - for any gender or body type they help hold the top together.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #28
Setok
Finland

I'm still thinking about this (my current gi trousers are pretty much worn through!). I noticed Jen D's gi and hakamas are a mixture of hemp and polyester. I tend to try and avoid synthetics as much as possible, both because clothing is the biggest source of microplastics in the ocean, and because synthetics tend to make me hot and sweaty.

I can of course check with Jen directly what percentage she uses, but does anyone have experience with pure hemp vs hemp blend and why one might prefer one to the other?
Old 01-19-2023, 06:28 AM   #29
Setok
Finland

I feel an update and mini review is in order. I have been using Jen's hemp gi now fairly regularly for a couple of months. First I have to say the fabric is astoundingly comfortable. It is soft, yet airy, keeps some winter chill off, but does not get clammy when sweating. Usable both in the winter and, I imagine, in the summer. It's too early to tell how well it will hold up over the months and years, but if it does, it is fabulous material. We have had a few practises with katadori and so far nothing has broken. There were a couple 'clicks' that I would usually connect to threads breaking, but I haven't seen any rips or tears on the fabric, so it may also have been the gi moving around under the hakama. The trousers, in particularly, are wonderful. They are far more comfortable than the two pairs I've had previously — they're like pyjamas. The extra fabric on the knees is long enough to cover everything well, so good for suwariwaza.

As I suspected the fabric looks a bit frumpy, and might not perhaps be my choice for seminar wear or a grading, but for regular practise it gives off a sense of being a warrior who has seen a bit of life (much like my indigo hakama). In fact, if you were going for that ronin look at seminars, it might work there too.

In terms of fit the trousers are spot on. Just the right length to cover stuff, but not poke out under the hakama, and loose enough to not hinder movement. I ordered the top to be a bit longer to fit under the hakama. Iaido length. I'm not sure yet if I'd stick to that if I was ordering a new one, but at least it covers the hakama side vents well. One gripe I do have is that it doesn't wrap round my front quite enough for my tastes. I'm not sure if I measured myself wrong, but I end up exposing more chest than I'd like after even a bit of vigorous practise. There are no side straps or chest straps to mitigate that. The lack of side straps, in particular, make dressing trickier as the sides kind of fall down before I get my obi belt properly tight.

Another small gripe is that the belt loop at the front has almost come off. I'm not sure why as I wouldn't imagine that having to suffer much stress, but there you go. Should be easy to sew back. The belt string, however, moves very smoothly and without sticking, even after a wash, unlike my cotton ones.

Shipping costs to Europe were high, but helped a bit by having a friend order a gi with me. Overall Jen has been communicative and pleasant to order from, and the gi is a really unique piece of clothing. I would be very curious to see what her hemp hakamas are like. Please someone post pictures if they have one!

Edited to add that Jen's gi fabric no longer contains polyester, but is 40% lyocell (which I think is some kind of environmentally friendly rayon).

Last edited by Setok : 01-19-2023 at 06:31 AM.