Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #26
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: exercises for wrist strengthening?

I know I've posted this before in response to a similar question.
Low tech, cheap, doesn't require fancy bits of rubber with holes punched in them or a monk tapping a laquered wood bell.

wrist rollups. stick, rope long enough to reach floor to shoulders, weight (the weight can be a tin can full of stones that you've attached to the rope with some wire coat-hanger.

Tie one end of the rope to the middle of the stick - perhaps a 30 cm long piece of jo, bokken, or hockey stick. If necessary drill a hole and tie it there, but do that. At the other end of the rope, tie the weight.
Hold the stick in both hands at shoulder height. roll the stick so the weight comes up to the stick, roll back down, and roll it up the other way.

This will strengthen the forearm muscles. It's very inexpensive, very low tech, unexciting, old fashioned, not "martial" but it will strengthen the forearm muscles AND probably the work of strengthening the forearm muscles may strengthen the tendons crossing the wrist, causing your wrists to appear to be stronger.
W
Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #27
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I believe the most important point here is that the 'piece of rubber with holes' helps you by adding power to in the opening motion which helps undo many of the damages connected with closing the fist. It didn't watch the video, but I would suggest using that simple device in such a way that you hold your hand open for 2 seconds, and then relax for 1 second, and then repeat. That advice is inline with my current understanding of the 'active isolated stretching' method I've been having wonderful results with lately.

In terms of your point about your solution being low tech. You approach is more of the McGyver approach (and props for that). However, what you described is not lower tech than the 'piece of rubber with holes'.

Rob
Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #28
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Dave Lewin wrote: View Post
hi all.
i was wondering if anyone can recommend any exercises for strengthening and reinforcing the wrists.
Bake bread.

Ron
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #29
aikidoka81

Singapore

Quote:
hi all.
i was wondering if anyone can recommend any exercises for strengthening and reinforcing the wrists.
i have been training a lot for the past year, and quite recently i have been experiencing throbbing in the wrists off the mat. specifically, kote gaeshi and nikyo have been taking their toll.
i came across a simple exercise for the knees, to strengthen them and maintain support, and it has seemed to work; so im wondering if there's a similar thing for the wrists.
if your advice is to lay off a little, this is tough, since being uchi deshi means im around for every class and can't really 'take a break' in that respect.
any thoughts?
-dave
Wrist pushups work very well for me. If first time doing, start with your knees on the floor so that you don't overpressure and injure your wrists. Later when your wrists are used to it, you can do pushups with your knees off the floor

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

Thread from the grave...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Thread from the grave...
How 'bout if everyone chimes in with how mighty their wrists have become? Or Mark chimes in with how his 'suit' development has gotten so awesome he has no need to wear clothes anymore.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
hi all.
i have been training a lot for the past year, and quite recently i have been experiencing throbbing in the wrists off the mat. specifically, kote gaeshi and nikyo have been taking their toll.
i came across a simple exercise for the knees, to strengthen them and maintain support, and it has seemed to work; so im wondering if there's a similar thing for the wrists.
if your advice is to lay off a little, this is tough, since being uchi deshi means im around for every class and can't really 'take a break' in that respect.
any thoughts?
-dave
Hi, I believe I know how you feel, being an uchideshi is hard work in that respect.
Maybe you should try to make your training partners aware of your problem and make them go a bit easy on you in nikyo, sankyo and kote gaeshi.. no need to show toughness and ruin yourself..
I normally spend some time excersising my wrists and massaging them on a daily basis.. "feeling them out" so to speak.. and I have managed to keep a balance between hard daily practise and protecting myself..
I guess it boils down to listening to your body and giving it small breaks along the way..
Not pushing it all the time.
Hope you find a way through your practise.
Regards
Lars
Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
Alberto_Italiano

I use the following routine, which may give clues perhaps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGT2qbvBpA
skip the balbbers if you want and move to min 2.30, with my accent I would be barely understood anyway.

If you never did those exercises before, begin gently for at least 2 months. It is basically an intensive version of wrists exercises well known.
In over one year I never had a problem - of course i may still have, but if the routine were dangerous in itself, problems would have arrived in a few weeks.

You can also adopt a gentler version of the same exercises. I would actually recommend a much gentler one it if you never did wrist training before.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
DH
United_States

Winding your entire body...through...your wrists.
In very specific ways that you cannot learn on line you will be extremely...almost impossible...to lock up!
Then you can stand there looking at a shihan and unwind his own wrists on you.
Hey...ONE...of you is supposed to be moving from the center. Might as well make it you!
Dan
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
dps

No no no no no no!

It all has to do with diet.

Defeat your enemies, impress your son and father and rescue the damsel in distress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncFDuKdgNE
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Winding your entire body...through...your wrists.
In very specific ways that you cannot learn on line you will be extremely...almost impossible...to lock up!
Then you can stand there looking at a shihan and unwind his own wrists on you.
Hey...ONE...of you is supposed to be moving from the center. Might as well make it you!
Dan
Actually, once I learned (from you) that solo exercises were intended to work on making the fascia connected, I looked at all those old aikido wrist exercises and immediately saw that their primary objective was exactly the same thing - unfortunately, over the years that part of the exercise objective got lost for the most part and the exercises just turned into a simple wrist twist with no internal intent involvement at all; just a hollow container of its former self - sort of like what happened with a lot of modern aikido techniques

Greg
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #37
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
I use the following routine, which may give clues perhaps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGT2qbvBpA
skip the balbbers if you want and move to min 2.30, with my accent I would be barely understood anyway.

If you never did those exercises before, begin gently for at least 2 months. It is basically an intensive version of wrists exercises well known.
In over one year I never had a problem - of course i may still have, but if the routine were dangerous in itself, problems would have arrived in a few weeks.

You can also adopt a gentler version of the same exercises. I would actually recommend a much gentler one it if you never did wrist training before.
IŽll get back to this when youtube has allowed to show exerpts from "Dr Strangelove"

Last edited by lars beyer : 04-06-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: I guess the joke is not understood in the right context.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Actually, once I learned (from you) that solo exercises were intended to work on making the fascia connected, I looked at all those old aikido wrist exercises and immediately saw that their primary objective was exactly the same thing - unfortunately, over the years that part of the exercise objective got lost for the most part and the exercises just turned into a simple wrist twist with no internal intent involvement at all; just a hollow container of its former self - sort of like what happened with a lot of modern aikido techniques

Greg
previously were you doing the exercises as demonstrated by Tohei in the old B&W video. Basically just standing there pumping away at the wrists or do you incorporate any sort of body movement? That's something we do and i'm not sure if that was a change he made later or not. I find it definitely helps with feeling the winding aspects.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #39
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
previously were you doing the exercises as demonstrated by Tohei in the old B&W video. Basically just standing there pumping away at the wrists or do you incorporate any sort of body movement? That's something we do and i'm not sure if that was a change he made later or not. I find it definitely helps with feeling the winding aspects.
Before working the internals, it was the old Tohei model as you mentioned. Once i started on the internals, I changed it to using mental intent to make the twist whole body from hand to opposite foot. I also add a breath component to it to help exercise intent; which is to exhale while applying the twist and once fully exhaled and twisted, I do a small reverse breathing inhale to sort of pressure the twisted path and hold that for about five seconds - at this time, there generally is a certain point in that path that feels a little more pressure than the other areas; I then use mental intent to try and move that point along the twisted path. i find that this helps exercise your intent as well as working the fascia in that path in one exercise. Of course, all of this has to be performed with proper structure and balance with absolutely no muscle tension.

Greg
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #40
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Before working the internals, it was the old Tohei model as you mentioned. Once i started on the internals, I changed it to using mental intent to make the twist whole body from hand to opposite foot. I also add a breath component to it to help exercise intent; which is to exhale while applying the twist and once fully exhaled and twisted, I do a small reverse breathing inhale to sort of pressure the twisted path and hold that for about five seconds - at this time, there generally is a certain point in that path that feels a little more pressure than the other areas; I then use mental intent to try and move that point along the twisted path. i find that this helps exercise your intent as well as working the fascia in that path in one exercise. Of course, all of this has to be performed with proper structure and balance with absolutely no muscle tension.

Greg
Thanks Greg! I would say that is almost exactly how I do those now myself. Though I stand in a forward stance when doing them and push forward (or back, depending) from the center while holding the twist. I found that having the legs like that, vs. standing normally, produced better results in being able to feel something across down into my legs. I still can't "move" that pressure down there, but after a few times I definitely feel the twist into my big toe.