Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
jamie yugawa

Dojo: Sapporo
Japan
Quiet tire tanren training?

I have a funny question. I have a tire set up for tanren training, and noticed it being quite loud when I strike it. Does anyone have any tips to quiet it down? Hilo is a small town and my back yard is not small but it does sound like a gunshot when I hit the tire! Right now it is standing with some rocks to deaden the sound and keep it upright so that helps and I have a small towel on top. Any suggestions?

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
Old 10-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Quiet tire tanren training?

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
I have a funny question. I have a tire set up for tanren training, and noticed it being quite loud when I strike it. Does anyone have any tips to quiet it down? Hilo is a small town and my back yard is not small but it does sound like a gunshot when I hit the tire! Right now it is standing with some rocks to deaden the sound and keep it upright so that helps and I have a small towel on top. Any suggestions?
Dear Jamie,
First let me say I know your dojo.I only saw it when I was on Hilo [a cruise trip].Wish I had been there longer.Jamie, personally I would suggest very little tanren training.Tanren training hitting a tyre gives you lower back problems.The body stiffens up.Little and often do this training but not for any length of time.This tip might not quieten the practice but if done for short periods only it might be more user friendly. Cheers, Joe.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
bungie a thicker soft towel to it and hit that. That should at least deaden the thwack.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
jamie yugawa

Japan

Joe- Hey, next time you are here please come train with us! We just had Inagaki Sensei here at our dojo and this was one of the things he said to do. Those guys in Iwama seem to do alright with a couple hundred cuts on the tanren. I will keep an eye on any back pain though. Thanks!

Jason- That helped a lot! Now if I could only get it softer so I can practice in the dead of night when I feel like it...lol,

Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Joe- Hey, next time you are here please come train with us! We just had Inagaki Sensei here at our dojo and this was one of the things he said to do. Those guys in Iwama seem to do alright with a couple hundred cuts on the tanren. I will keep an eye on any back pain though. Thanks!

Jason- That helped a lot! Now if I could only get it softer so I can practice in the dead of night when I feel like it...lol,
FWIW, you should be able to get the same benefit using a rubber mallet or even the palm of your hand. I can't imagine a rubber mallet hitting a stump or stone would produce quite as sharp a sound.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Rob Watson
United_States

Tanren uchi on a tire ... yup, loud. Trick is to kiai even louder so nobody notices the whacking sound!

Or, just do it the old fashioned (aka correct) way and use a bundle of sticks ... much more quiet. Be sure to only damage the bark in a small patch on only one stick at a time.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Maybe wrap it with rope, like a makiwara?

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Maybe wrap it with rope, like a makiwara?
nope. don't use rope. if you use rope, then only to wrap an aikidoka or two to the tire, which is what i would suggest, i.e. wrap an aikidoka around the tire. you will only hear the scream after the first one or two whacks, after that it will be drop to whimpering level.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
jamie yugawa

Japan

Robert- Yeah I can kiai kinda loud. But, a loud gunshot sound followed by "Heeeeeiiiiya" in town is kinda asking for the Po Po to come knocking. Not to mention the funny neighbors looks. I think no one would rob my house though. lol

Phi- Great Idea! I have know a couple of peep that deserve a good thwacking. So much for the aloha spirit!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Krystal Locke
United_States

Build a small enclosure for it lined with acoustic foam?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #11
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

From what I gather you have wrapped a towel around the area you are striking. Can you fill the inner tire space with towels or other material? This may help.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
jamie yugawa

Japan

Good Ideas. I think the towel and rocks in the tire solved the problem. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Good Ideas. I think the towel and rocks in the tire solved the problem. Thanks!
I´m looking into the same issues building my own little tanren device. Did the towel and rocks in any way alter the response of the tire ?
Best
Lars
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #14
jamie yugawa

Japan

Quote:
Lars Beyer wrote: View Post
I´m looking into the same issues building my own little tanren device. Did the towel and rocks in any way alter the response of the tire ?
Best
Lars
I used a tire for a Toyota four runner (My truck) so it is about waist height. I see a lot of tanren using motorcycle tires. I am not sure if it changes anything. The rocks on the bottom of the tire helped keep it stable and helped to stop the ringing. The towel folded and bunged to the top of the tire. This helped to quiet the impact and reduce the bounce on the bokken. It doesn't look as nice as the tanren stands but Its just in my back yard so no big deal. It works great and there is less bounce and is a little quieter now.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 AM   #15
phitruong
United_States

there is a picture of a wooden frame mounted tire here http://books.google.com/books?id=zat...bokken&f=false

we got one of those made in our dojo.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
jamie yugawa

Japan

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
there is a picture of a wooden frame mounted tire here http://books.google.com/books?id=zat...bokken&f=false

we got one of those made in our dojo.
So do you push the kid on the tire swing before striking to make it harder to hit?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
phitruong
United_States

Quote:
So do you push the kid on the tire swing before striking to make it harder to hit?
of course. the screaming is a kind of feedback.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
I used a tire for a Toyota four runner (My truck) so it is about waist height. I see a lot of tanren using motorcycle tires. I am not sure if it changes anything. The rocks on the bottom of the tire helped keep it stable and helped to stop the ringing. The towel folded and bunged to the top of the tire. This helped to quiet the impact and reduce the bounce on the bokken. It doesn't look as nice as the tanren stands but Its just in my back yard so no big deal. It works great and there is less bounce and is a little quieter now.
Hi Jamie, I have the same issue, don´t want to attract the wrong kind of attention where I live..
I have found a used scooter tire, not the old Vespa style but thicker and heavier one but still small diameter.. was thinking about heating tar and mixing it with small stones and pour it in the buttom
of the wheel and let it settle.. maybe too much trouble.. think I´ll try with something simpler like the
stones and towel.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
KEM
Dojo: Aikido of Gainesville/ Gainesville, FL
United_States

Does anyone have a really simple set of 'cut and bolt' instructions for building the stand? I'd eventually get it by trial and error but prefer some instructions...will waste less scrap wood that way.
On quieting the 'twack' the noise is mostly generated by the 'echo chamber' of the hollow tire so fill that with foam or rags rather tightly then dampen the point of contact with something soft and fibrous such as a towel. I say rather tightly but not so tight that the tire won't compress...rather ruins the intent. Of course you can't forget to decorate it with some duc tape!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Andrew S

Dojo: Kenshinkai Dojos
Japan

I'm not sure if this would be quiet or not, but here's an uchikomidai sold for kendo practice. Since it uses tyres as the target, I can't imagine it not being suitable for striking with a bokuto.

As for the mount in phitruong's post, I know that some karate dojos use those. It might be possible to get one from a karate supplier.

Warning: Do not bend, fold or otherwise abuse... until we get to the dojo..

合気道研心会 Aikido Kenshinkai
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
lars beyer
Denmark

Quote:
Andrew Smallacombe wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if this would be quiet or not, but here's an uchikomidai sold for kendo practice. Since it uses tyres as the target, I can't imagine it not being suitable for striking with a bokuto.

As for the mount in phitruong's post, I know that some karate dojos use those. It might be possible to get one from a karate supplier.
Hmm.. the top one looks like a tire from a gocart, interresting. Thanks for posting ! :-)