Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
International Aikido Federation Posts Anti-Doping Standards

Posted 2012-09-13 12:07:43 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Aikido Journal has reported that the International Aikido Federation's anti-doping program is compliant with the World Anti-Doping Code set forth by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

From the IAF's Facebook page, "While some IAF fans may wonder why the IAF is concerned about anti-doping, we have to remind ourselves that this is a requirement of being part of the SportAccord framework and the principles upheld by the world sports community."

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: International Aikido Federation Posts Anti-Doping Standards

I guess if I were to train at an affiliated dojo I'd have to stop taking estrogen? HOW SILLY IS THIS????

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

True victory is victory over myself. I refuse to be tested until my opponent is tested.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

In my opinion this whole Anti-Doping has become something that has more to do with promoting the health image of sports than with fair play. Even in a mind sport (like go) we are forced to accept silly anti-doping rules from the WADA. So now, people drinking coffee or smoking cigarettes can be banned from mind sports tournaments.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I guess if I were to train at an affiliated dojo I'd have to stop taking estrogen? HOW SILLY IS THIS????
Estrogen-blockers are however banned, and cocain, cannabis, amphetamine, heroin etc. Caffeine, Nikotin are not banned. Alcohol are banned only in competition in some specific sports.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Estrogen-blockers are however banned, and cocain, cannabis, amphetamine, heroin etc. Caffeine, Nikotin are not banned. Alcohol are banned only in competition in some specific sports.
I looked up some of these to update my knowledge, which seems a bit outdated.
  • Although the IOC still limits its concentration, caffeine was removed from the WADA list in 2004. It was placed on the monitoring program to detect misuse (See this 2012 WADA page).
  • Since this year, nicotine is placed on the monitoring program (See the same page as above). It may be placed on the prohibited list in the near future (some expected it on the 2012 list).
  • Cannabis and cocaine are prohibited (under S8 and S6 on this 2011 WADA page).
  • Alcohol is prohibited for some sports, like karate (under P1 on this 2011 WADA page.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Dave de Vos

Netherlands

I think in principle doping policy should aim at ensuring that competitors are not forced to take unhealthy substances to increase performance if they want to compete in the highest level of an art.

Still, I don't like how this doping policy is being forced on some arts where it doesn't seem to make much sense because it's not an athletic art (like chess and go) or it has no competition (like most aikido).

The Dutch Go Association was forced to accept this doping policy. Rejecting it would mean losing their subsidy. But this made no sense to me and many others. Go competition in the Netherlands hardly represents the highest level of the art. There is hardly any money or fame to gain here, so there would be little incentive for doping. Also, I cannot believe that all the substances on the WADA list actually increase performance in mind sports. Because of issues like these, it sometimes feels more like "anti-drugs propaganda" than "ensuring fair play".
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
lbb
United_States

The ostensible purpose of regulating and banning performance enhancing drugs, and the justification behind the considerable invasions of privacy that are supposedly needed to support that, is to prevent a situation where the use and effectiveness of harmful performance-enhancing substances and practices was such that athletes had to use them in order to have a chance of winning. It is not and never has been to create the "level playing field" that comes up so often in casual discussion of these issues, or to remove any and all "unfair advantages". An athlete who has a government subsidy that allows him/her to train full-time has an "unfair advantage" over one who does not, yet that doesn't have WADA up in arms, nor are they frothing at the mouth to "level the playing field" between athletes who can afford the best nutrition (certainly good food is a performance-enhancing substance) and those who can't. The sole objective was to eliminate this situation in which athletes would be pressured to harm themselves in order to win, and the only justification was to improve and safeguard athletes' welfare.

In its current state, WADA is hopelessly corrupt. I don't mean "corrupt" in the usual sense people use the term, of people in positions of power who abuse their authority in return for payments or favors. I mean corrupt in the sense that they have completely lost sight of their original purpose. The goal has long since shifted from athlete welfare into the extension and perpetuation of WADA's authority (and, no doubt, some well-paying jobs for certain individuals). Their statements are telling: when an athlete is "caught", we are treated to a sorrowful sanctimonious lecture about "fairness" -- which, after all, makes a better fig leaf (simpler and more well-understood by the masses) than what their original purpose was (too complicated, that concept), and is a lot better than the truth. Nowadays, WADA does what it does because it can and because it will help WADA. Whether these actions do anything whatsoever to help athletes is highly debatable. Anyone who willingly accepts WADA's overlordship is a natural-born fool.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Janet Rosen

Well said, Mary.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

A prime example, IMO, of why a Budo ought not to try to be "part of the SportAccord framework and the principles upheld by the world sports community".

Anti-doping was unanimously upheld at the last IAD congress, but I wonder what the results would have been had the average practitioner been polled instead of the limited group of IAF representatives.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

To me, it reads as a concerted move towards standardisation by the aikikai (and possibly other other large governing bodies?). There has been an increasing level of standardisation in Japan over the past few years in most budo, basically to make them easier to teach to kids. It"s happened to karate, shorinji kempo, jodo, kyudo and naginata. It has the added effect of killing off regional and historical "flavours" of these arts. Why would you learn those old techniques your teachers learned when they won't win you any trophies?

To quote from a poster on the Aikido journal website on this subject;

"True victory is complying with global regulatory agencies."
Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
To me, it reads as a concerted move towards standardisation by the aikikai (and possibly other other large governing bodies?). There has been an increasing level of standardisation in Japan over the past few years in most budo, basically to make them easier to teach to kids. It"s happened to karate, shorinji kempo, jodo, kyudo and naginata. It has the added effect of killing off regional and historical "flavours" of these arts. Why would you learn those old techniques your teachers learned when they won't win you any trophies?

To quote from a poster on the Aikido journal website on this subject;

"True victory is complying with global regulatory agencies."
In theory, at least, the IAF and the Aikikai are not the same thing - but that may not be how things work out.

Best,

Chris