Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States
New to AIkido, hi guys

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to aikido. I'm in a dojo which emphasis practical use of aikido in everyday life situations, especially street. My sensei has a background in fencing and tests us when he feels we're ready. We will somtimes used sword or bokken and staff or jo training to get the "feel" for non-weapon aikido, to feel the connection with the uke and nage better. Also its actually a mix between practical (although mostly) and somewhat spiritual in nature. Mostly practical techniques though in real life situations.

I've been going now about 5 months at least, maybe 6th. His tests are extremely comprensive, and involve techniques involving uke and nage technique demonstrated with proper technique as well as excerises such as funigoshi and basic other excerises such as joint strenches for use like sankyo before class, a warm up, and rolls from shoulder to hip (forward), standing and kneeling, and backward rolls standing and kneeling.

I do not have a car, so I often have to ride the bus there. I get there 30 minutes to an hour early to watch the Kung fu and study my Dynamic Sphere AIkido book, although I'm a white belt and do not understand more advanced techniques. I'm beginning to understand the connections (slightly) between basic techniques like throwing off balance off the uke's center, depending on their position to nage. I hope this makes sense.

We always practice excerises meant to get a "feel" for connection energy or ki between uke and nage energy. I have a question too. One time, to feel energy connection and conect with the partner to feel an incoming blow like a mentsuke (punch to stomach? ) before it happens. My partner would grab my wrist. I would apply slight pressure to his center to feel a connection, he would as wel. He told me to close my eyes, and tell me when I felt him start to move his fist. Surprisingly, with this connection, I was able to feel as soon as he moved his fist and got even close to hitting me with this connection of energy. It was a nice feeling.

But I noticed when practicing against people who are not trained in aikido, this energy is not present. My question is, why? Even though I make a connection with a partner not in aikdio, I think they do not apply force back, I cannot tell when they throw a punch. Why is this?

We practice irimi excerises ( to enter) and tenkan excerises (before techniques start). everyday.

Its beginning, at least i think, to make more sense. Our sense may do it a little different. When grabbed by the wrist, I apply forward pressure palm facing up and energy towards their center, I feel this unbalances them a little, which I think is good. I then use my other hand (knife edge) to pin their elbow at their center, and try to enter without bobbing my head and keeping feet and stance slightly bent and in good balance to fix this.

Its strange that a supposedly harder technique like shinonage is easiest for me. After yellow belt, the next belt in our class is blue. At blue, randori with 2 people is done with yokomenuchi against 2 people. At purple, 2 people with 3 different style of attacks. I noticed how very fast they would attack the person defending doing the randori, like in a real life situatinon. He held up well, but then paused in his technique (didn't blend complettly) the "enemy" or partner attacking in this case took advantage and reversed his technique somehow, and piled on him. Despite this, he wasn't aware of all the different attack styles they were going to use. They used not only yokomenuchi (circlular strike to the head) but also a grab and mentsuke (punch to the stomach area, I think). Our sensei likes to throw curve balls to make us nervous and react, like in a real life situation when the pressure is on in tests. There's no test fees, it's $60 a month, uniform was about $60. Despite this, I get alot out of the class, its twice a week max. After about 6 months, I believe I'm no where close to being able to test. I may take at least another 7 months, maybe a year before I'm ready.

But just wanted to introduce myself.

Thank you

Kevin
A new and very beginner student in Aikido

PS: I've taken Tae Known Do and Karate for 5 years as a teenager. I was very good and almost got to black in Tae kwon do. But I was only 13. I've noticed Aikido seems to be much, much different, and much, much more difficult! Boy, my first days I flopped rolling, and couldn't relate or understand what he is saying. When I look back, I think others have said absoultely I'm made progress since and am progressing my sensei said. (It seems to take forever...but that's ok,its about the journal not the destination)

So nice to meet all of you.

Last edited by SparkErosion : 09-17-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
akiy

Re: New to AIkido, hi guys

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido. Thanks for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Shawn Severinsen
Dojo: Aikido of Japantown
United_States

Hi Kevin,

Just a quick note about only being able to feel the incoming attack from a fellow Aikido student. This is a fairly common thing that will come up a lot.

Aikido students are trained in the ability to have the intention and projection of a real attack while physically stopping short. When practicing with your friends, there is no real intention or projection behind his punch unless he is actually going to slug you.

Things like this will happen often with beginners and the untrained. Over time you will improve your ability to flood your awareness through your partner's body and feel his intentions even if they are weak and scattered.

Shawn
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
SparkErosion
United_States

Thank you much for the answer. Today I'm so happy! After 6 months since I started I can do forward standing crossover rolls! I'm not sure what use they are, since you usually roll with the foot that's out. I guess if someone is grabbing you a certain way? We do ukemi each class. I love doing the hip switching crossover. Different roll. , kind of. Man, I ran at my partner, I had to basically "fly" roll, due to the energy I put out to him! He said I did it well and quietly. Slow progress..... Still white belt. Man, this is different from karate.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Kevin Tejan wrote: View Post
After 6 months since I started I can do forward standing crossover rolls! I'm not sure what use they are, since you usually roll with the foot that's out. I guess if someone is grabbing you a certain way?
It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Not sure what you mean by the hip switching, but I'm glad it is working for you.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
SparkErosion
United_States

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
It doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

Not sure what you mean by the hip switching, but I'm glad it is working for you.
the forward standing crossover roll must be easy for most new students who are just starting
Right? Do you know where I can learn more about crossover ukemi? Google didn't work. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Kevin,

Wow, I can feel your enthusiasm. It's awesome! I remember how excited I was when I was six months into aikido. I still get that feeling quite a bit.

Aikido is quite difficult, but for me that's the fun of it. There is a bit of mystery to it that slowly reveals itself, so you get to have "Aha!" moments all the time, especially at the beginning stage.

It sounds like your club is really fun and you have an interesting, engaged teacher. Be grateful and enjoy yourself - it's a really special thing. Don't quit -- it gets better and better.

Cheers,

Conrad