Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Hilary
Dojo: Torrey Pines Aiki Kai
United_States
Re: training in the long haul

So after reading the first post in the google link I stand by my guns on this one, with a caveat. I think these days when we say the word stretching and when we observe most people doing it (particularly in the context of aikido) we are talking slow dynamic stretches.

I don't see people forcing the muscles trying to get their splits. I have not observed the grab toes and hold position for 30 second type of activity for over a decade. That sort of thing is reserved for increasing range of motion. I have daughter who trains in circus arts and is currently taking contortion classes. They, once they have warmed everything up push and bend using, what seems to be a lot of PNF type work. They do some grab and hold, but I don't see it in any dojo I've been in as normal warmup.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
Janet Rosen

(ahem) afraid you haven't observed a bunch of places I have where grab and hold is still common part of "warmup". BTW, I am a big fan of PNF - not at all across the board anti-stretching.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

As part of many PT tests, participants are tested on their ability to touch their toes from a "cold" stretch. This is a test of your natural range of motion. They have simlar exams for arms, torso, etc. I performed one every session of my knee PT returning from an ACL surgery.

Most of the "cold" stretching with which I am familar surrounds our natural flexibility and is a stimulation of circulation as we prepare our bodies for activity. I am personally not familar with a method of "cold" stretching intended to increase flexibility. My experience with gain stretching is that activity is intended for a period during which your muscles already have circulation and you are "warmed up". In many cases, the micro abrasion is intended to elongate muscle tissue or build muscle tissue (the scarring tissue adds muscle mass and your muscles get bigger).

The idea behind "cold" streching is to become knowledgeable about your body's natural state of flexation. In practice, the idea being the mugger is likely not going to give you time to strech and warm up before chasing you several blocks... Or your 4-year old son deciding to test daddy's back by jumping onto him from the 6th stair. It happens...

Jon Reading
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
Janet Rosen

Yes - a test of range of motion. When the others in my dojo are doing their long static stretches as part of "warming up" I am at the back of the mat doing slow moving range of motion. There ARE still dojos, not just this one, that include holding static stretches of cold muscles in order to, according to their thinking, promote movement and flexibility - because it's "traditional".

Janet Rosen
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Janet Rosen

Since I am one of several folks who have sort of sidetracked this from the OP...I'm going to post something to try and swing it back :-)
Training in the long haul to me means....
1. keeping it fresh by continuing to get out and explore, then bringing back home anything of value, be it a small bit of advice or an overhaul of approach
2. allowing myself to change how I train based on demands of a changing body for better or for worse
3. continuing to engage with beginners in an open and engaged way in order to pay back my seniors and to help keep myself sharp because it's the beginners whose bodies and questions can be so reality-testing

Janet Rosen
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #31
lbb
United_States

I think there's a distinction between "training for the long haul" and "training in the long haul". The former is the more common expression, and has to do with plans and goals. The latter means being in process.