Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
UK Visit

Hi there, not sure where to post this.

I'll be visiting the UK from NZ to visit family and friends. I arrive on the 9th October 2011 and stay for 2 weeks.

I have done Aikido (and a bit of other stuff) for 30 years (including 15 in Asia) and have been interested in aiki for the last ten. I'll be visiting Sheffield, mostly, but have a few relatives/old friends scattered about that I'll try to visit.

It would be fun to meet some of you. If you would like to see my take on aiki and are not too far away, let me know.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: UK Visit

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post

I'll be visiting the UK from NZ to visit family and friends. I arrive on the 9th October 2011 and stay for 2 weeks.

I have done Aikido (and a bit of other stuff) for 30 years (including 15 in Asia) and have been interested in aiki for the last ten. I'll be visiting Sheffield, mostly, but have a few relatives/old friends scattered about that I'll try to visit.

It would be fun to meet some of you. If you would like to see my take on aiki and are not too far away, let me know.
Hi Rupert

I don't know if you will find yourself as far down as Devon at all, but if you do, let me know it would be good to meet/practice with you.

As you may see from another thread, I am planning to visit NZ at the end of next year, so it may be good to make contact anyway, PM if you wish.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Mark Headleand

Dojo: Hallamshire Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Quote:
...have been interested in aiki for the last ten. I'll be visiting Sheffield, mostly, but have a few relatives/old friends scattered about that I'll try to visit.

Hi Rupert,

We met quite a few years ago in Sheffield at the Hallamshire Aikido Club (we used to train at the Waltheof centre just off the parkway). It'd be good to meet up again and I'm definately interested in seeing your take on Aiki. I'll drop you a pm with contact details.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Hi Rupert,

You know of course that you would always be welcome in Southampton.

Alex
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Mark H - sound's good.

Mark F and Alex - a bit too far - I can't stray too far from my mum as I haven't seen her for a few years, and that's my main purpose for visiting.

Any courses on around that time I wonder ...

Old 08-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Rupert,

You are always welcome in my little corner of England. Love to introduce you to my sons.

Joe
Old 08-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
James Wyatt
Dojo: Budokwai
United Kingdom

If you are in London try Justin Christou Sensei at the Budokwai. He spent 8.25 years under Saito Sensei and really knows his stuff, training is on Monday and Thursday night (he also has classes in North London on other nights).

Enjoy

James
Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Quote:

There's a great club in Manchester - not too far away from Sheffield:

http://www.manchesteraikido.com/

You're be more than welcome to train there - there are three classes a week - and i'd love to see your take on aiki.

Last edited by Gorgeous George : 08-28-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Three, not four.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Not sure if I'll make it to London but Manchester might be possible - interesting - I was in the BAF for quite a few years myself - 1980s. I helped run, and then ran the Sheff Poly club at that time. My friend at that time still runs it today.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom

Well give me a PM or something if you're going to attend: i'll be sure to introduce myself.

I trained in Sheffield myself - very briefly, but it was the start of my aikido training; Shodokan style (i'm in the aikikai now).
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
c walker
Dojo: Rotherham Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Hi Rupert,

I am only in Rotherham so would definitely like to meet up while you back in Sheffield. I have a venue we can train at, so if your up for it mate just let me know, cheers.

Chris.

p.s. Enjoyed reading your book.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Hi Chris,
Rotherham is not too far at all. And I might end up doing a class or two in Sheffield. Will let you know if it works out. And, ... glad you liked the book

Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Hi Rupert

I'm also in London. Be interested in comparing Shiseikan notes if you make it around here

Regards
Robert
Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Nice dojo there Robert. I am not sure if I'll get down to London. If Ido I'll look you up!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #15
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Seems like I am very busy with family stuff - if you wanna meet up I'll be at the Collegiate Cresent site for Aikido on 17th Oct Mon eve at 7pm - Pearson Building, Sheffield Hallam University. I'll pm my tel no to those local who asked already.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Rupert Atkinson

United Kingdom

Well, got five official sessions in and two extras with friends. Not too bad for a family visit I suppose. I didn't get a s far as I would have liked so sorry if I couldn't meet some of you guys.