Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Review: Tozando Deluxe Tetron Aikido Hakama

Below is what I posted as a review for the Tozando Deluxe Tetron Aikido Hakama, and thought people here might benefit from this. If there is any interest in photos or more information, just ask.

Note shipping from Japan to my door in Montreal took about 3 weeks. I am most happy with the purchase and performance of this product.

"Some questions regarding front obi length were answered quickly, changed length to 455cm. Wraps just right to fit my 33-34" waist leaving some 10 cm extra on each end.

Back obi is a little longer than I am used to, and can no longer let them hang as they whap me in the face during ukemi; have had to adopt a new tying method.

Fabric is light yet feels very strong after about 20 classes, looking forward to traveling with it as it will reduce bulk and weight.

The stitching of the front panels seems to make my folding technique suffer when it comes to getting the back pleats to stay put when flipping the hakama over. I am sure it is just me...

Went with silver embroidery for the kanji; though bright not obnoxiously so.

Sizing: went with their sizing chart, and a 26 on my 6-foot, 175-lb frame is indeed perfect.

Order placed Sept. 16, package received in Montreal using UPS Worldwide Express Oct. 2nd. Very fast.

Highly recommend both Tozando and this particular product."

Old 01-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
BC
Re: Review: Tozando Deluxe Tetron Aikido Hakama

I have this hakama and like it very much. It actually took only a little over one week for it to arrive in Chicago from Japan.

Robert Cronin
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

I know I'm reviving this, but mind if I ask you how long the hakama is on you? I'm looking into buying one of these, but size 26 seems too small for where I like it to fall - I'm around 5'11" and 168lbs, thinking of getting a size 27, I like it to fall almost touching the floor but just not quite....

Thanks....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
I know I'm reviving this, but mind if I ask you how long the hakama is on you? I'm looking into buying one of these, but size 26 seems too small for where I like it to fall - I'm around 5'11" and 168lbs, thinking of getting a size 27, I like it to fall almost touching the floor but just not quite....

Thanks....
Hi, I have a Tozando Deluxe Polyester size 26 and it comes pretty close to the floor - I'm a fraction shy of 5'10" so maybe a 26.5/27 would be better for you?

Hope that helps.

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
Old 07-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
BC

I wear a size 26.5, and I'm 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam. You might try asking some of your fellow dojo members if you can try on their hakama to help you decide what size to get. Also, try and find someone who has the same inseam as you ask them their size.

Robert Cronin
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote: View Post
I wear a size 26.5, and I'm 5'9" with a 29 inch inseam. You might try asking some of your fellow dojo members if you can try on their hakama to help you decide what size to get. Also, try and find someone who has the same inseam as you ask them their size.
Thanks - the real problem is that dif. manufacturers use slightly dif. numbers.... I have an older Bujin heavy denim hakama that is noted as one size, another old kendo hakama I've been using for over 20 years, that's another size.... etc.... Tozando seems to use their own system, close but not exactly the same as some others....

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
David Yap
Malaysia

Hi Robert,

The length of hakama is determined by the position of your obi and not by the inseam of the hakama. The hakama is held in place by the obi. If you tie your obi higher up your hips, then, you may need a longer hakama. As a rule, the length of the hakama is measured from the top of the obi (at the knot) to the lower edge of the ankle joint. As the hakama wraps over the obi, you will also need some allowance for the wrappage; more so if you wear a thick obi and have a bigger bulge at the knot.

Ladies will require a longer hakama as generally they tie their obi at the narrowest part of their waists.

Hi Larry,

Tozando's sizing is no different from the rest. On the attached chart, you can see the comparison of sizes based on Tozando's Deluxe Polyester Aikido Hakama. Depending on the material used, manufacturers may use different sizages to take account of skrinkages.

Regards

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hakama sizing chart.pdf (6.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
BC

For clarification, I never stated that a hakama was sized by inseam. I was advising him to find someone of similar height and inseam to try on their hakama, since that might provide some guidance on what size he would need.

Robert Cronin