Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Richard Kim

Re: If it has to be felt, what does a feeling look like?

Quote:
David Orange wrote:

I was just reading Richard Kim and he said that a sensei must often feel like a person yodeling in a mountain valley. He hears lots of echoes but wonders if anyone hears him.

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Nice. I'm not usually a fan, but that's a good one.
Just wondering why you're not a fan?

I first noticed Richard Kim in 1978 when someone gave me a copy of one of his books. I had probably read some of his articles in Black Belt before that, but I took notice of him from then on and one of my better teachers used to speak very highly of him.

I just looked over his website and, while it opens up some very shady questions about his wartime activities, when he was trapped in Shanghai, it has really made me more deeply impressed with him. He got his black belt in karate from Gogen Yamaguchi at the same time as Mas Oyama. They were brown belts together. Etc., etc., etc.

I've always enjoyed reading his stories, so I'm just wondering what bothers you about him?

Best to you.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: Richard Kim

Hi David,
Just a personal thing that doesn't qualify for public discussion. Never met the guy. Have no personal experience to report. My opinion doesn't matter.

As for my comment the important part is that was a really nice quote. The other part is throwaway.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Hello Gentleman,

Richard Kim's lectures on Yoshida Kotaro are interesting/entertaining. I've also seen a DVD of his called Ki. He shows the eight brocade chigong and also the five tibetian rites. With some good stories thrown in. Mr Kim seems like a intresting character. I would have liked to meet him.

Which of his books would you recomend? Thanks.

Take care,
ChrisW
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Chris Western wrote: View Post
Hello Gentleman,

Richard Kim's lectures on Yoshida Kotaro are interesting/entertaining. I've also seen a DVD of his called Ki. He shows the eight brocade chigong and also the five tibetian rites. With some good stories thrown in. Mr Kim seems like a intresting character. I would have liked to meet him.

Which of his books would you recomend? Thanks.

Take care,
ChrisW
Richard Kim had quite the illustrious career, earning karate black belt as a peer of Mas Oyama, training for many years with Yoshida Kotaro (a direct student of Sokaku Takeda, and the man who introduced Morihei Ueshiba to Takeda), training in Baguazhang in Shanghai and with many masters of many arts. He was peers with and senior to many people who later became much more famous than he, but I doubt many of them had the kind of intellect Kim had. Frankly, he doesn't look like much, but anyone who hung out daily with Mas Oyama and trained with him under Yamaguchi must have been incredibly tough.

As far as books, I know of only two: The Weaponless Warriors and The Classical Man, both being well worth the cost (in my opinion).

But here is a site dedicated to him, created by people who knew him well. I've just spent a few hours perusing it and I'm even more profoundly amazed at his life and work:

http://www.richardkimmartialartist.com/home.html

Extremely interesting.

One thing I learned that puzzles me, though: Kim actually trained, apparently, with Morihei Ueshiba and he was good friends with Tamura, Ueshiba's famous student.

Kim speaks incredibly well of pretty much every martial artist he ever met, including Mas Oyama, Hidetaka Nishiyama, Yoshida Kotaro and many others; and he speaks incredibly well of the many great Okinawan karate masters. But I have never seen him mention Morihei Ueshiba even once in all that I've read of and about him. And I wonder why that is.

Guess I'll hit Google again and see what I can learn.

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Tengu859
Dojo: Yushinkan NYC
United_States

Dave,

Thank you for the info. I'll check them out. Ueshiba and Tamura, wow. Keep us posted. Thanks again.

ChrisW