Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Aikido "street modified" clip

Some of you may be intrested in the clip/s here -

http://www.aikidoshudokan.com/store/videos.htm

Specifically the one called "Sokumen Iriminage (Side Entering Throw)" (1mb)

Done in the Dojo and then done in a bar, in street clothing. Interesting to see how things get modified.

FWIW. IMHO. YMMV.

PS: That shudokan stuff looks HaRdCoRe! Nice! (check out the end of the taisabaki clip)

Last edited by bob_stra : 11-19-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Aikido "street modified" clip

Comments? Any others that you know of like this?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Very interesting!

As far as learning it from video, that style of teaching might be okay. But is all teaching of that style so stiff and robotic?

I'm not trying to be critical, but it doesn't seem as fluid or flowing as some shihan I have seen. And it may only be due to this being for video, but curious just the same.

Domo!

Old 11-22-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

The bar movie was interesting for the sokumen.

I'm wondering though why one would strike with what is basically aigamae ate (palm strike from the side) and then switch to gyakugamae ate (sokumen) when he could have just continued the palm strike into a throw from aigamae ate to begin with.

Maybe I'm being a "what if monkey" here, but from my experience the principle of economy of effort often determines the difference between an effective technique in "the street" and your attacker getting off an effective attack/counter attack of his own.

I guess the way I see it is if you have set up your body one way for a technique, why would you waste the time (and risk getting hit or taken to the ground) changing hands and doing another technique that would give the attacker an interval to try something? The sokumen looked good, and it was effective, but it may have been easier to apply straight line aigamae ate (iriminage) since that was the first strike the defender used and it was already set up for a successful aigamae throw before he switched to sokumen.

Then again I may just be nitpicking.

Just my thoughts.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote:
Comments? Any others that you know of like this?
I'm aware of something similar being produced out of the UK by an online associate of mine. I'll let you know once it is availible and I have seen it, but it sounds like it's going to be pretty good.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan

It is yoshinkan, thus it is very robotic and stiff, maybe methodical would be a better descriptor. BTW, I am not knocking yoshinkan, I think the teaching methods are fantastic. The video clips look really good also!

For the yubishime, it has always been relayed to me that it is more practical to grab at least two to three fingers. In the case you get someone that is super flexible or double jointed, one finger (index) won't work too well. Along with the fact you are probably going to break the finger(s).. Comments?

Cheers,
e6
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Hi ya'll,

It may look stiff to non-Yoshinkaners, but that is how Yoshinkaners learn a technique, every part of the technique is broken down, analysed, then refitted together to make it a smooth powerful focused execution.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #8
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

The stiff / non-stiff thing is one of the visual differences in the way the styles are taught. As you move up in the ranks you get smoother.

I always tell people that Aikikai folks think Yoshikan people look like robots while Yoshinkan folks think Aikikai people look like they are about to fall over.

It's a different emphasis from the beginning but we're all climbing the same mountain.

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 11-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
mj

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
...visual differences ...
The irimi as shown in the dojo variatons are a visual lesson in posture, ma-ai and centred moving. Excellent clip