Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2002, 07:00 PM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
What makes a teacher?

Just a simple question this time. What, in your opinion, makes a true teacher?

~~Paula~~
Old 07-17-2002, 09:01 PM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
The one that is a true student.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 07-18-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Consistently high standards.

Patience and compassion.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-21-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
Allen_Schaffer
Dojo: Twin Cities Aikido
Paula, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'true' teacher, but one definition of a 'good' teacher is one who teaches people, not subjects.

There can much to your question. What prompts it?

Allen
Old 07-21-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Everything the others have posted plus a love and passion for the subject being taught.

If I think back to the various teachers I've had, the ones that made the biggest impact were the ones who obviously loved their chosen subject.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-21-2002, 04:01 AM   #6
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Love of the subject being taught is important, true; but to my mind, nothing makes a teacher more than the love of teaching itself.

Teaching is a skill unto itself, the person who loves to teach will tend to learn the skills and develop the experience required to become a great teacher.

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:59 AM   #7
Katie Jennings
Someone that will say over and over- Kate, that STILL isn't your left foot, and then makes me laugh about it.

Old 07-21-2002, 10:20 PM   #8
MaylandL
Re: What makes a teacher?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
Hello Paula

This is an article that you might find interesting if you havent alredy read it.

http://www.aikidoonline.com/feat_0502_yamada.html

All the best for training

Mayland
Old 07-21-2002, 11:31 PM   #9
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Someone who can not only teach you stuff, but actually help you learn to learn stuff. Me thinks...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:01 PM   #10
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
A true Teacher is that who know the Path... and then Know how to Transmit knowlegde to others, and more Important, to Teach people to Learn for Themselves; had to be familiarized with the learning process, surely be proficient in to use didactical and pedagogical resources as well.

Pretorian
Old 07-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #11
Edward
Thailand
Thorough knowledge of the basics, humility.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:36 PM   #12
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Has an open mind and spirit and is willing and capable of learning news ways of practicing, teaching and applying all aspects of Aikido and in turn, sharing that with his/her students. Also, one who is not TOO BIG for his/her own hakama to take ukemi for their students if capable.

I've been to too many clinics and dojo where the chief instructor does not participate in training. They just show the technique but won't take any kind of ukemi, especially when they have invited a senior instructor to their dojo.

Note 1: I said if capable. I certainly understand injuries and such.

Note 2: Ukemi does not just mean break falls.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:31 AM   #13
Thalib

Indonesia
Miranda-san... I humbly agree with your opinion, especially about ukemi, it doesn't just mean breakfalls.

--------
Old 07-23-2002, 08:04 AM   #14
akiy

Quote:
Iriawan Kamal Thalib (Thalib) wrote:
Miranda-san... I humbly agree with your opinion, especially about ukemi, it doesn't just mean breakfalls.
Nor does it just refer to falling in general...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-23-2002, 09:45 AM   #15
justinm
United Kingdom
Passion

Empathy

Communication

Commitment

Vision

Justin McCarthy
Old 07-23-2002, 10:30 AM   #16
Steven

United_States
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Nor does it just refer to falling in general...

-- Jun
That is correct and what I meant ... Thanks Jun!
Old 07-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #17
Thalib

Indonesia
A little bit out of topic here...

It's such a coincidence that this topic, ukemi, came up because I'm writing a small paper on the significance of ukemi in Aikido training for shodan grading next year.

I'm glad there are people that shared the same view about ukemi. The word ukemi doesn't even translate to falling or breakfall. Although the dictionary translates it to passivity or being acted upon, in Aikido it means much more than that. I probably shouldn't get into that discussion, because it is kind of subjective.

I just want to say that, being uke is actually learning more about being nage. This was what my sensei taught me, and a good teacher, a true teacher, knows this.

--------
Old 07-23-2002, 05:41 PM   #18
Steven

United_States
Re: What makes a teacher?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
Okay Paula ... You're turn!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:10 PM   #19
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
A good teacher is sensitive to his students needs. He or she knows when to push and when not to push. He encourages students to train hard, but allows them enough room in their training for them to learn their own aikido. He does not dictate what aikido should be to the student, but rather encourages the student to learn what it means to them.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 07-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #20
jk
Sounds like you folks are talking about what makes a good leader...

So would you agree that being a true, or good teacher requires one to be a good leader?

Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that."

Course, just may be my antihistamines talking today...
Old 07-24-2002, 05:13 AM   #21
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
John Kuo writes:

Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that"

actually, I have seen both versions of alpha wolf and someone you would never think of as alpha wolf. I know several very quiet and humble teachers who do not stand out on the mat and are very gracious. Their students are excellent and show terrific spirit. A teacher is reflected in their students. If their students are honest and forthright in their training, train hard and with good attitude and are technically proficient, then there is the proof of good teaching.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #22
Thalib

Indonesia
Quote:
John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Sounds like you folks are talking about what makes a good leader...

So would you agree that being a true, or good teacher requires one to be a good leader?
They actually do come hand-in-hand. How could a teacher truly have a class if the students do not respect the teacher as a leader?
Quote:
John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that."
The difference being a true and good leader is not being the alpha male. The alpha gained the position by being the strongest in the group, and more like taking the position through strength and intimidation instead of earning it. There are teachers like this, and they are not a good nor a true teacher, just bullies.
Quote:
John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Course, just may be my antihistamines talking today...
Maybe... maybe it's past midnight here, and I'm bored out of my head, and hunger strikes with a vengeance...
Old 07-24-2002, 05:54 PM   #23
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Ah...busted by Steven Miranda! In the Chinese horoscope I'm a monkey, and every bit of it; love to get things going...

People have focused on the word 'true' and got me wondering why I used that instead of good. Okay, I've met many 'good' teachers, but I think 'true' means someone who touches me. Whatever those mysterious, subconscious dynamics are--all that everyone else has said--and then something that keeps me coming back. Don't even have to always like them...

A true teacher to me is also always a student. They allow their students so see/sense their own struggles and evolution; they exhibit the aiki in the moment, live the process itself and you are a part of it. They reach past physicallity.

Too esoteric? Thanks for the push, Steve!

"Live your life like an experiment"

~~Paula~~
Old 08-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #24
David Worsley
Dojo: Plymouth School of Aikido
I concur completely, the truest teacher is and will always be a true student, but to that you must also add the empathy of having been there and still being on the journey.

Over the years I have found that its the students themselves who creat the truest teachers, individuals who understand that we are all different and require different styles of learning, instruction, even class room or dojo dynamics.

To be adaptable to the individuals needs. A good teacher is mirrored in their students, and yet is also a mirror for them to the future.

Not to profound i hope.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:30 AM   #25
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think the benefit we have in aikido now is there are so many different teachers. Training only with one teacher may give quite a narrow view of aikido and the students may emulate their teacher (and especially their mannerisms or behaviour), rather than developing their own abilities. I'd agree that a 'true' teacher is still a student of aikido - because these teachers are often open enough to redifine their teaching to fit in with the way you learn.

I've been wrangling myself with whether teaching basic techniques or blending is more important for beginners, and finally come to the conclusion that it is a balance, depending on how the students absorb the teaching (if technique is poor I teach them technique etc.)

Some teachers who were very poor in my past, are now very inspirational, because now I konw enough to understand what they are trying to teach. Aikido really is a journey, and the scenery changes as you progress.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---