Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: Breath by Dennis Hooker

Discuss the article, "Breath" by Dennis Hooker here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/dhooker/2005_08.html
Old 08-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Article: Breath by Dennis Hooker

This was a real teaser. I felt very drawn towards this study of breath, but I have never met these concepts before.

A much more thorugh description of the conecepts would be much welcome, but hardly possible in writing only.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

If you look at top martial artists, not only in Aikido, they all mention the breath. If the martial arts is practicing the basics, you cannot get more primal than the breath. A thought provoking article.

I'm thinking the reader might get more out of this by reading Saotome's Aikido and the Harmony of Nature.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 10-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I'm with Jørgen on this one... that was a tease! Hooker Sensei has always fascinated me, ever since I happened upon his article about the stone and the mirror. What an honor it would be to meet and train with Satome Shihan, Hooker Sensei and see them both in action.

I do train with an instructor who is a student of Hiroshi Kato Shihan from Japan. Kato Shihan felt his health wasn't what it should be (about a year ago) and began to concentrate on his breathing and working on that. He returned to Texas this past summer with even more energy and vigor than the first time I saw him in person... and we couldn't keep up with him then! I can only imagine how powerful he is now, 6 months later.

Breath is so important. Hooker Sensei, you need to hurry back and tell us where to begin!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
What an honor it would be to meet and train with Satome Shihan, Hooker Sensei and see them both in action.
And so you can - check out this link:

http://www.shindai.com/seminars/crui...cruise2006.htm

Greg Steckel
Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Sorry Greg, I have a baby due February 4th. My wife and I had a lot going on during the last cruise, though I was tempted to take out a loan (that I couldn't afford) just to attend.

Hopefully the following year or so they'll still be hosting these events. I DO want to attend.