Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-28-2003, 07:27 AM   #1
Charles
Bokken Lengths

We've been doing a bit of Ni To in the Dojo so I picked up an "econo" pair of bokken. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to break one, but the shoto seems a little long to me. Before I schlep the things down town I'd like to cut them to their proper length. Has anyone an idea of what that would be?
Old 09-29-2003, 03:21 AM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I don't know about "official" sizes but in the Kingfisher Woodworks catalog they are:

Aiki-ken long sword

overall length: 42"

handle length: 11.5"

Aiki-ken short sword

overall length: 26"

handle length: 7.5"

If I had to ask anyone a question about bokken it would be Brad at Kingfisher...he's done his homework.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-29-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Brion Toss
Dojo: Aikido Port Townsend
Hello,

In a genetically homogeneous country like Japan, standard bokken lengths make a lot of sense. Likewise, competitions might require standard lengths, as some fighters in the past have cleaned up with extra-long bokkens. But as a moderately tall person, I can tell you that a standard-length bokken is ludicrously short, more like a wakazashi than a katana. So how about the idea of making your bokkens long enough that a clean draw is just possible? This seems to be at least one basis for the standard length. A tall person would have a reach advantage, but they'd have that anyway, and the extra length negates at least some of that because it slows the movements.

Yours,

Brion Toss

Regards,

Brion Toss
Old 09-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Charles
I went with a 27" overall and a 8 1/2" handle. I can always take a little more off. Thanks, It didn't ocur to me to cut from both ends.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:51 PM   #5
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
If you order from Kiyota, there is a choice of bokken by 'Schools' Yagu-Ryu, Itto-Ryu.

They vary in lenght (and width) slightly.

I usually get the Yagu_ryu for women and kids as it is thiner and lighter (but longer). The Itto Ryu is thicker (and a little shorter) and takes a beating better.

It is better suited for bigger stronger body types.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
Kevin Wilbanks
I was taught - by Kobudo/Iado people - that the proper sword length is measured by grabbing the handle with your right hand up against the tsuba (or where you pretend it is on a bokken), then letting the arm and sword dangle at your side. The blade should be just long enough so that it won't touch your toes/the front half of your foot.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
Kevin Wilbanks
BTW, I think the Itto Ryo bokken are quite a bit meatier than the Yagyu Ryu... too much so for me, in fact, although nothing like the absurdly huge blunt logs that are the Bujin standard. Since swords are supposed to be weilded with quickness, I never understood the big, chunky bokken thing. My bokken is an Itto Ryu that I shaped and shaved down. I probably removed about 15-20% of its weight. I wouldn't mind having an even lighter one as well.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
I was taught - by Kobudo/Iado people - that the proper sword length is measured by grabbing the handle with your right hand up against the tsuba (or where you pretend it is on a bokken), then letting the arm and sword dangle at your side. The blade should be just long enough so that it won't touch your toes/the front half of your foot.
Also, while shopping for a new iato I was told that the convention for handle length is 1/3 the blade length.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."