Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Putting the art back in MMA

Aikido seems to be in decline as MMA grows. MMA means Mixed Martial Art but there is no 'mixed' in it any more - it is just what it is - a single entity. Perhaps a way forward for the traditional arts is for MMA to put the art back into what they do. Thus, MMA could teach some Karate, Aikido, Judo, Taichi - whatever is available - but not at random, but rather, whole lessons dedicated to that art so that people could really get a handle on it. I got this idea while chatting with an MMA guy, some time ago, who was lamenting the lack of 'connection' to tradition / past etc. Anyway, maybe MMA holds one of the Aikido revival keys. If MMA were to start doing that, maybe in the long run members would join independent Karate or Aikido clubs to learn more. Just a thought ... but I do know of one Jujutsu school that has recently adopted Aikido into its syllabus (and gets an Aikido teacher over to teach).

Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Putting the art back in MMA

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
Aikido seems to be in decline as MMA grows. MMA means Mixed Martial Art but there is no 'mixed' in it any more - it is just what it is - a single entity. Perhaps a way forward for the traditional arts is for MMA to put the art back into what they do. Thus, MMA could teach some Karate, Aikido, Judo, Taichi - whatever is available - but not at random, but rather, whole lessons dedicated to that art so that people could really get a handle on it. I got this idea while chatting with an MMA guy, some time ago, who was lamenting the lack of 'connection' to tradition / past etc. Anyway, maybe MMA holds one of the Aikido revival keys. If MMA were to start doing that, maybe in the long run members would join independent Karate or Aikido clubs to learn more. Just a thought ... but I do know of one Jujutsu school that has recently adopted Aikido into its syllabus (and gets an Aikido teacher over to teach).
I suppose the question is one of how to get MMA/etc. to want to include aikido. Does this subsume aikido to grow MMA? Frankly, I do not care about making aikido popular. I like aikido; that is enough for me.
Why is it important to make aikido grow, anyway?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Rupert, why did the jujutsu school include aikido into its syllabus?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Not sure - will ask when I see him next. I'm guessing it could become a minor trend in the near future.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote: View Post
It depends on your part of the world. I don't see any decline where I'm from. In fact I don't think there is any decline it's just popular to say that for some reason. As for mma, it's still pretty much mixed although thanks to the UFC rules it can be described now as "wrestling and anything else".