Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-26-2004, 03:23 AM   #1
kienergy1234
United_States
randori

i have never done randori or full on sparing , to do these things do you need to be a black belt or is it at any time
thanks,josh
Old 09-26-2004, 04:02 AM   #2
Hrvoje
Re: randori

I guess it might depend on the style you train, but i dont think you need to be black belt.At my dojo we've recently started doing randori and jiyuwaza every lesson for a large portion of it. we have maybe 2-3 yudansha training in every class, so i think the bigger factor is that you dont have as many beginners(ungraded aikidoka)? we didnt do so much randori up until a few months ago because there were alot of beginners who couldnt ukemi properly etc..but we've always done jiyuwaza for at least part of it? talk to your sensei about it, perhaps you should request him/her to let you try randori? mines always keen and asks us every so often what we would like to do....hope my rambling's helped somewhat!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #3
Jordan Steele

No, you don't need to be a blackbelt to do randori. The colour of the belt around the waist is only as good as the guy/girl wearing it. Being a blackbelt will obviously mean a wider variety of techniques, but anybody can do randori regardless of level. A lot depends on the person and how they handle stressful situations. Some people canj ust do it and others need to ease into it. However there is also the matter of ukemi...you shouldn't be doing randori unless you're prepared to be on the receiving end and that usually takes time, but again it all depends on the person. I know many great aikidoists, but when put under stress they fall apart.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Joshua Dalton wrote:
i have never done randori or full on sparing , to do these things do you need to be a black belt or is it at any time
IMHO, there are no universal guidelines about randori (or anything for that matter). Check with your Sempai or Sensei.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
kienergy1234
United_States

i have been taking aikikai aikido for 3 months i wonder if that is long enough to ask sensei if i could try randori
Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States

Joshua,

We spend alot of time doing randori in our dojo. I think that anyone can randori. Even those that have limited ukemi. If everyone is practicing very slowly and always completing all their movements I think the sooner the better. I randori with my daughter now. She is 8 years old and really only knows around 4 techniques but she knows how to take ukemi from thousands. Just go slow. Very very slow.

Shane
Old 09-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #7
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Another thought is to ask senior (or maybe just more senior) students to help you after/before class. They'd probably get alot out of it too.

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 09-30-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Joshua Dalton wrote:
i have been taking aikikai aikido for 3 months i wonder if that is long enough to ask sensei if i could try randori
Hi ya Josh,

You can certainly take randori once you feel you can take ukemi. No harm in doing randori, start 'em early I'd say. Do it at the level you are comfortable with and build from there.

Cheers mate,
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
jester

United_States

You can start Randori exercises your first day of class. It might help you loosen up and be able to move better.