Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States
Bicep Torn While Training!

On Saturday, while training at a dojo in Arrowhead, a student and now part-time instructor I've known for awhile was using me as an uke to demonstrate what Aikido *really* looks like to his students. He decided to try the more devastating side of a particular technique, sumi-otoshi, and....

...it felt like a lightning bolt hit me.

The distal bicep tendon which connects the bicep belly to the elbow on my right arm has been completely torn away. My bicep is now balled up on top of my shoulder. I have no way of supinating my right arm nor can I turn my right wrist in a motion like if you wanted to turn a door knob. All motions used in Aikido.

I'm right handed by the way.

I have to have surgery and extensive rehab. I will be in a sling and brace for at least 10 months.

The expense will be immense.

My right arm will never be like it was; losing up to 30% of its strength.

My ability to train and teach Aikido has diminished and will never be the same. My potential will probably never be reached.

I was planning on attending many seminars this year and next. I was going to stay and train with Donovan Waite sensei for a period of time as an uchi deshi. Gone.

I am quite devastated and very, very, very depressed...

My everyday living has been completely compromised by his carelessness not to mention my future.

I am at risk for losing my job. I was going to start a sword class for kids through an organization which was going to pay me for my services. Gone.

This guy was only thinking of himself that day and how he looked. He wasn't thinking of the art, he wasn't thinking of his students, and he sure as hell wasn't thinking of me.

I was the only one who put him, his students, and the art before myself. I didn't want his students to freak and lose faith in the art or him. So instead of screaming and curling up into a ball and crying in pain, I stayed quiet so they wouldn't be scared to do Aikido or to train under him, until it was all over then I showed signs of distress. I nearly passed out twice due to the shock.

He knew what he did when he took my gi top off and saw the major deformity made by the injury. He didn't drive me down the mountain. He didn't even go with me to the hospital. Great guy.

We are taught from day one to go underneath the arm and never, NEVER to the elbow or tricep area. My entry, a cross handed grab, was slow and controlled. He then entered with all of his center, weight, and muscle directly into the back of my elbow. It made a sound like celery stalks breaking, then he looked at me, and *then* he threw me into a front role.

He took advantage of me and my ukemi. He was just wanting to show off. "Look at how fast, mean, and skillful I am..." Well, two out of three got me screwed; I'll let you guess which two.

He never had me sign a waiver. I want compensation for my medical bills that aren't covered by my insurance and I want emotional anguish compensation.

What can I do? What should I do? Has anyone had this type of injury before and if so, what was your situation and eventual outcome?

I am extremely devastated by this.

I trusted him.

-Brent
Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
gdandscompserv

United_States
Re: Bicep Torn While Training!

I'm sorry to hear this. It is one of my worst nightmare's to have an injury in my dojo, especially if inflicted by me. It is always unfortunate when this happens. I hope you will be able to train again.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Kevin Wilbanks

Freaky. How exactly did it happen? Did he grasp only the bicep and throw you with that?

I say the first thing to do is to talk to him and see if you can get some mutual understanding and negotiate a settlement, being on your best behavior no matter how poorly he aquits himself in the encounter. Any hotheaded thing you do will work against the legitimacy of your greivance later if it comes to litigation. Maybe you will find that he is sorry and not as much of a jerk as you think, but just made a foolish mistake. That plus his offer to pay for most or all the medical expenses and maybe you won't even need lawyers.

If his reaction is anything less than that and you intend to go after him, of course you need a lawyer. If you don't already have connections, take your time and do some investigating before you hire one. Don't go to one of the factories with the giant ads on the back of the telephone book. I would start by calling the local Bar Association office and asking lots of questions.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that waivers aren't that big of a deal, one way or the other. Given that you willingly participate in Aikido knowing that something like this could happen by accident, your case might not be that strong. You will probably somehow have to prove that he did something beyond making a mistake - something with a component of extreme carelessness or malicious intent to get damages from him. Getting a bunch of money for pain and suffering sounds unlikely to me, which is a good reason to approach him reasonably and see if you can reach a mutual understanding and settlement instead of doing anything hotheaded. Take that with a grain of salt though, as I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 09-04-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
statisticool
United_States

Ugh Brent, I don't know what to say!, other than that is an awful situation.

To tell the truth, that is one of my fears in judo practice since it is so rough. It must be in the back of every martial artists' mind I suppose.

I practice arts for health... not to injure myself which is the opposite of health. But no pain no gain, no burn no earn, no risk no reward?? I can see that argument too. It is a hard situation.

Keep us updated!

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 09-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
mikeym
United_States

I'm really sorry about that. All I can say is that there is still hope, with good rehab and a good physical therapist. Modern medicine is amazing.

I can relate to how you feel, having had a very severe shoulder separation fairly recently. I was depressed for a long time, replaying the event over and over in my head. After a lot of physical therapy my arm is usable again. I'm sure my shoulder is not at 100%, but it's good enough for everyday life, going to the gym, and practicing martial arts.

- Mike
Old 09-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
stelios
Dojo: aikido dojo nippos Crete
Greece
Bicep Torn While Training!

In various ocassions have I injured myself due to fellow student's inadequate skill application. In one case I was left out with a severely damaged ankle for many months but managed to recover through faith, effort and tones of arnica and antiflamatories. But a torn up muscle is more serious, I know. Do not lose faith, mate, keep it up. Soon you will be able to train again and follow your dreamt of career in the Aikido world. Believe strongly in your recovery, encourage the body to build strongly upon the hurt muscle, visualise it growing back well and stronger than before-the mind does miracles if we set it free. Our thoughts will follow your rehab. Let aside depression and guide your body to work on that bicep. Soon the results will inpress you as well. Positive thinking is the key to a quick recovery.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #7
robert weatherall
Dojo: Dynamic Aikido Nocquet
United Kingdom

Quote:
I have to have surgery and extensive rehab. I will be in a sling and brace for at least 10 months.

The expense will be immense.

My right arm will never be like it was; losing up to 30% of its strength.

My ability to train and teach Aikido has diminished and will never be the same. My potential will probably never be reached.
Brent at the moment you are majorly depressed and justifibly so. You have a huge injury which is not your fault and the medical advice you are receiving suggests your arm will never be the same.
As someone who was once critically injured on the tatami let me give you this advice. Listen and do everything your surgeon and physio say regarding recovery. But do not listen to them regarding the limitations of what your body will now be able to do.
I severely damaged my l left knee and almost lost the leg. My phsyio told me I would never walk the same way again. Determined to prove her wrong it took me 18 months to learn how to walk without a limp. From there I had to learn how to run and gain full movement so I could sit in Seiza again. Eventually though I got back on the mat and I now enjoy and appreciate aikido more than I did before. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Your recovery will be a marathon - not a sprint. Just don't lose sight of the finish line. All the best.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Very unfortunate. Why do many people equate 'real' aikido with destructive aikido? How does your main instructor feel about this? I would definately broach your grievance with your main instructor, probably outside the dojo (maybe on the phone) where he is not in a position of authority and where he can speak openly with you. What do your collegues think?

Possibly it was a mistake and he is trying to save face, but this sounds like a very serious injury - your instructor on the day is responsible for your safety! Taking the club/instructor to court could end up with the club closing (due to an inability to get insurance in the future), but you have a valid complaint so I would work something out which you feel is fair. Be carfeful not to accept too little at the start though as you may find permanent problems.

I'm not sure about the insurance policy your dojo has but I'm pretty sure our policy covers:
- the instructor being sued (i.e. if you sue the instructor, they can reclaim this through the insurance)
- time from work due to injury
- medical costs
- compensation (affect on quality of life)

I think the view that 'these injuries are expected in aikido' is never the case - your insurance should cover you for these injuries (if you don't have personal insurance through your club, your main instructor will have insurance which (legally) will cover these things). Talking to your main instructor should be done immediately. I would be devestated if this happened to one of my students and would consider ejecting the purpetrator.

Also remember there is a chain of responsibility - your main instructor, although he may not have done this action, is ultimatly responsible for you as he gave responsibility to the person that injured you. He will also know about the insurance policy, which you can discuss with him in a measured manner.

P.S. don't be fobbed off if they say nothing is due to you - although you obviously wouldn't want to destroy the whole club, potentially this mismangement could destroy your quality of life for a long time. If they don't have insurance (in the UK at least) they are breaking the law and you can still sue the instructor.

Last edited by ian : 09-05-2006 at 05:25 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
ian

P.P.S. many waivers are legally rubbish anyway (for example in the UK prenuptial agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on) - I would guess this is the same; these people have a legal duty of care towards you.

Good luck and please tell us how this works out.

Last edited by ian : 09-05-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Janet Rosen

Brent, Im SO sorry to read this.
I totally agree w/ Robt Weatherall: docs cannot predict how well folks will return from a trauma, so go through surgery and rehab w/ a clear idea that you can indeed have full function. Focus on doing whatever it takes (not through foolish overuse but through compliance w/ the regimen, including full rest when called for; also don't be shy in the rehab phase about looking at alternative movement/bodywork therapies that may complement traditional physiotherapy), keep the rest of your body strong and flexible and healthy, and if/when you can consider this a long yet finite period of misogi.
Having said that: don't abandon your legal rights! This was NOT, from what you have written, an unforeseen accident on the order of bodies colliding or a slip on the mat. He should be held accountable for expenses.
Best of luck.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
statisticool
United_States

I'd be curious to know if the doctor(s) recommends any type of exercises for your arm, and what the exercises consist of.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Have the Dr's. made any statement on the possibility of surgical re-attachement?
(I haven't read any mention of that being an option for/or against)

It would seem to me that the dojo-cho or chief instructor's response to all this would set the tone of all later dealings....What comment has he made on the incident? (if not prying by asking)
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
B.J.M.
United_States

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their responses; the positive feedback has worked wonders.

I go into surgery on Friday to repair the damage and then it will be a LONG haul as far as rehab is concerned.

I am trying to use this time to really see how devastating Aikido can be and the compassion one has for there attacker/uke is absolutely necessary to say the least.

Well, the attitude of the guy is one of, "..this type of thing happens all the time, it is a martial art after all."

Now, this didn't happen where I train regularly and my sensei are beside themselves and sickened by the whole encounter.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

"...happens all the time."

Really? Guess a few of us should pay him a visit and see how many parts of him can be damaged in one session. After all, happens all the time....

On another note, chin up. Be thinking of you this Friday.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Dear Mr. Magnusson,

I'm sorry that you have suffered such a terrible injury. I hope your surgery and subsequent recovery go smoothly.

I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of Maryland. I work for the federal government as a policy analyst, and I do not represent private clients. The following is not legal advice, but only my personal opinion based on your account of events. I apologize for the disclaimer, but it is necessary.

If you have not already done so, I strongly suggest that you consult an attorney with a solid trial practice and personal injury background. If possible, you should try to find one with a martial arts background. Because your claim is based on personal injury, it is possible that your attorney would take the case on a contingent fee basis --- his or her final fee would be based on the amount of the compensatory and punitive damages the attorney recovers from the defendant(s). Even in contingent fee cases, however, the plaintiff (you) may still have to advance some money as a retainer.

It is important to realize that potential defendants include not only the nage, but also his instructor and the dojo in Arrowhead. It may even include the organization that accredited the nage.

It is likely that you will need both eye-witness and expert testimony to support your version of the events. I realize that you have a lot on your plate right now, but if possible, you should get the names and contact information of as many of the people who witnessed the demonstration as you can. If anyone photographed or videotaped the demo, you should try to get copies.

As for expert testimony, you should seek out recognized high-ranking aikido teachers (I suggest 5th dan and up) who will testify about the proper methods of demonstrating the technique with a cooperative uke. It would be helpful if the expert is impartial --- your sensei, or people who know you, your sensei, or the defendant are probably not good candidates. My guess is that if you and your attorney make an appeal on AikiWeb, you will get the expert testimony you need.

You should also understand that pursuing a lawsuit takes time. It may be years before you recover any of your financial losses.

Finally, in addition to time, please be aware that pursuing a lawsuit may also cost you "friends" in the aikido community, who operate under the mistaken belief that uke is a thing and not a person.

Again, good luck.

Sincerely,

Jim Sorrentino
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #16
B.J.M.
United_States

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
"...happens all the time."

Really? Guess a few of us should pay him a visit and see how many parts of him can be damaged in one session. After all, happens all the time....

On another note, chin up. Be thinking of you this Friday.

Ha-Ha....

Thank you Nick. The chin will remain up...

-Brent
Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #17
Mashu

Quote:
Brent Magnusson wrote:
"..this type of thing happens all the time, it is a martial art after all."
That's just all kinds of wrong.

Let me get my torch and pitchfork...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #18
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Jesus, I didnt think Sumio Toshi could do that kind of damage. I spose its the tori, not the technique though. F*ck. I hope your surgery goes well and that your recovery is as quick and as easy as it can be Brent, I suffered a bad cut on the mat (through 2 fingers and into middle of palm) and lost partial use of a finger, I know you feel like crap now but you WILL recover from this and dare I say it, come back stronger. Best wishes.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:20 AM   #19
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Rest and then get a good Physical Therapist after the surgery.

Btw, exactly what technique are we refering to? Different names for the same technique etc in different styles.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:39 AM   #20
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Matthew Zsebik wrote:
Let me get my torch and pitchfork...
HAH! Brilliant!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #21
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

Sounds like the original versionof sumiotoshi whereby tori bars ukes arm from the underside and steps throw to project, rather than cutting down on the top of the elbow?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 AM   #22
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Sounds like the original versionof sumiotoshi whereby tori bars ukes arm from the underside and steps throw to project, rather than cutting down on the top of the elbow?
Hello Nick,

There is a version of sumi-otoshi with which I am familiar, where tori torks the elbow from underneath before the throw. This version does not require the tenkan taisabaki, which I have always learned was necessary to set up the required mae relationships. In other words, you can extend outwards and create a 'space' into which you hope that uke will fall, but this also implies a loss of control. The 'official' version I have learned requires a tenkan taisabaki to set up the required mae, but here is another version that requires a 'feint' in the form of a torque on the elbow, similar to the shiho-nage variations Yamaguchi Seigo Sensei used to practise. This is the version I referred to above.

I cannot visualize the injury being discussed here, but if it were me, I would find a good lawyer and sue everybody, from Doshu downwards. It is morally unacceptable for the student's instructor and dojo-cho to behave in such a way.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 09-06-2006 at 07:31 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #23
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

My dad broke his leg in 12 places last year (the doctor stuck a steel rod in the center of his shin and stacked parts onto it like a shishkebab) and he has gone way beyond the expected recovery. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #24
ian

Good luck Brent - from the sounds of it we are all behind you (maybe that's not a good place to be in aikido )

Old 09-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #25
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

I don't really have much to add, just my condolences. What a terrible thing to do on so many levels. You'll certainly have a steep hill to climb, but these kinds of injurues can often be recovered from much better than even just a few years ago. Be proactive with your doctor and try to see a surgeon who specializes in athletes if possible. Same when you do your physio, find someone who works with atheletes and then approach your rehab the same way you have your aikido training. Let the PT know your goals and if they're not 'with you' find someone else who will help you get back to where you want to be. You also might review if you've been taking any medications, some seemingly unrelated meds can cause these kinds of injuries to be more likely. I read not long ago about an antibiotic that has a fairly common 'side-effect' of a torn Achilles tendon (particularly in women)!

Anyway, good luck with your recovery (both mental and physical).